Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth GTX

Furiousgeorge

One of the few common MoPars I don’t have on the shelf. I figured I’d practice cutting and scratch building on this before I cut up my JoHan ‘66 Fury.

I attached the front panel, and had to extend the drivers side a bit to match the fender, and add the chrome strip to both sides. 
I removed the overflow? tank and battery, and am in the process of filling the holes. I’ll add some detail to the firewall, and call it good for primer.

The plan is to stick with the 440 six pac, though I’m not sure if I’ll keep the auto or go with a stick (the ‘70 GTX/Superbird engine fits perfectly). The kit 440 auto was already built and painted, but if I use the stick shift 440, and can use a Fireball Modelworks six pac set up. Big decisions...

I don’t know about colours yet, thinking bronze or copper, since I don’t have a build those colours yet.

A00F63DF-2D13-4C07-8773-23E8EFC7A7A8.jpeg

A21B93D9-59C9-479E-A43F-D7EC270F53C6.jpeg

35ECCE37-5405-45F6-8177-701239F6F358.jpeg

4B0FFF0A-6077-4C39-846C-2F44584DFBA4.jpeg

3274C7C7-B4EB-43D7-9E45-7ED754C42A18.jpeg

232CB331-FC7B-4746-B955-62D04A7A3C41.jpeg

040D66BC-AE79-4E62-9F95-70EC91AFAD41.jpeg

EF5D7BC1-2982-4A2B-B2C7-D0C392AE67AD.jpeg

84D6A783-EB9B-411F-9846-CDAF38BB6587.jpeg

The more I look at what paints I have on hand, the more I like the bronze!

Spent some time building an ignition module, tiny bits, and hard to get a good picture with my phone! 
Ingot some primer down, and found all the spots I need to smooth out, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

1FE2FD6C-9407-4491-905C-FD425701FC80.jpeg

I can’t decide between chrome bumpers/grille or colour. I’m going with bronze exterior. Thoughts?

I’ve decided to do a bit more detailing then I generally do, so I scratched a voltage regulator and ballast resistor, and I’m going to try to wire everything up as it should be (charging and ignition systems), as well as brake lines off the booster. Should be a learning experience!

On 11/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, Furiousgeorge said:

The more I look at what paints I have on hand, the more I like the bronze!

Spent some time building an ignition module, tiny bits, and hard to get a good picture with my phone! 
Ingot some primer down, and found all the spots I need to smooth out, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

1FE2FD6C-9407-4491-905C-FD425701FC80.jpeg

That ECU looks great, but, electronic ignition was not available till late 72, just so you know. Looks great though.

11 hours ago, Furiousgeorge said:

I can’t decide between chrome bumpers/grille or colour. I’m going with bronze exterior. Thoughts?

I’ve decided to do a bit more detailing then I generally do, so I scratched a voltage regulator and ballast resistor, and I’m going to try to wire everything up as it should be (charging and ignition systems), as well as brake lines off the booster. Should be a learning experience!

Only the high impact colors got the rubber bumper covers, so might want to check your color with the charts. I wanted to offer a suggestion when you do the brake lines though. I just started using this stuff and it looks like the real thing. Use guitar strings for the brake lines. It's stiff and hard to bend, but looks good. Best thing about it, if you use the wrapped strings, it looks like the brake line with the stone guard wrapped around it.

Yes, most update the old cars with the electronic ignition and front disc brakes. IT's about the only mods that wont really effect the price when changing from originality.

acoustic-guitar-strings.jpg

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Good work going on with this car. I like the idea of the guitar strings for brake lines. Nifty.

Thanks on the brake line idea. You can stretch out the outer core so the inner wire will show through for more realism too. I helped a friend string all of his guitars and got to keep all the strings. Plus you can get them off of e bay for just a couple dollars. Cheapest ones I could buy, after all you don't care about the sound quality or how long you can stretch them and keep em in tune. And they come in several diameters too. I think that pic is the cheap ones from e bay and shows what size each string is.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by dwc43

2 minutes ago, dwc43 said:

Thanks on the brake line idea. I helped a friend string all of his guitars and got to keep all the strings. Plus you can get hem off of e bay for just a couple dollars. Cheapest ones I could buy, after all you don't care about the sound quality or how long you can stretch them and keep em in tune. And they come in several diameters too. I think that pic is the cheap ones from e bay and show what size each string is.

I've used guitar string once before as a tail wheel retractor spring on a 1/48 Focke Wulfe 190 D-9 that I built a few years back. Worked perfect for that.

dwc43- I’m not particularly concerned about if I do a non factory colour for the elastomeric bumpers, good info to know, but I tend to just go with whatever strikes me at the time! I’ve heard people talk about using guitar strings for stuff, but I’ve never tried it. I don’t have any, so next time I guess.

12 hours ago, Furiousgeorge said:

dwc43- I’m not particularly concerned about if I do a non factory colour for the elastomeric bumpers, good info to know, but I tend to just go with whatever strikes me at the time! I’ve heard people talk about using guitar strings for stuff, but I’ve never tried it. I don’t have any, so next time I guess.

Not a problem, just throwing it out there.  Check e bay for cheap strings if you want to try them. Couple bucks last time I got a set. Just have to look.