Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020

Luc Janssens

2 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

their 750il kit gave up its front end  (plus a Fujimi M635csi engine) to get me this.  So I hope they get back in the groove

100_0474.jpg

That is nice,  I would love to get the 750 kit , but not at current pricing it gets listed for .

53 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Those would be interesting,  Current Porsches would be nice--the only kit out there is the Panamera.  I'd like to see more down to earth stuff like current Audis, BMWs, Mercs....

M2,3,4, C63, C63 estate for F1 medical car,. Current DTM, though they're like sihouettes now. Reissue Dragon E36 M3, M roadster, SLR coupe. 

Nice E34. Old Monogram 635CSi was decent kit too despite Tamiya/Fujimi M635's

Edited by DukeE

52 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Me as well.  I remember their premium kits BMW and Mercedes of the early 90's.  Would love to see more of that.  Think of a modern M5 for example.

Always wondered why those premium kits don't get reissued. Maybe tools are not around anymore.

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I'd like to see the Euro Revell reissue some of those old "Classics" kits.  Especially the M-B 300 SLR Uhlenhaut coupe.  According to Scalemates it was re-issued in 2011-12.  But it's very hard to find, even on eBay.

This I could get behind.  One I'd definitely like to see back on the shelves is the XKSS.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:38 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Q4 2019 and Q1 2020 automotive releases by Revell (Germany)

source: IPMS Germany:  http://ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hersteller_News/Revell_News_2020_I.html

Ziviles

Best.Nr. Beschreibung Maßstab Monat Bemerkung
07646 '78 Corvette (C3) Indy Pace Car 24 02/20 Reintro
07619 30th Anniversary "Fall of the Berlin Wall" 24 09/19 Reintro Geschenkset limited edition
07653 Citroen 2 CV "Cocorico" 24 02/20 Reintro
07655 Mercedes-Benz 1017 LF 16 24 01/20 Reintro limited
207643 VW New Beetle 24 03/20 Reintro
07025 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302 25 08/19 Reintro
07652 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 25 04/20 Reintro
07648 Camaro Concept Car (2006) 25 03/20 Reintro
05685 Schaufelradbagger 289 Gift Set 200 03/20 Reintro limited

All of those listed are just models being re-introduced, some like the 69 Mustang and trabant are already out, nothing New from Revell will be announced until the German toy fair at the end of January 2020.

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Wow. That explains a lot.

So an actual home build hot rod, that is lightyears away from stock wouldn't even get out of driveway legally? And no, thats not my Model A, just a random photo for example.

Image result for channeled hot rod

Don't wanna derail the topic a bunch but consider the hot-rod culture to be nigh non-existent for two reasons; the Germans and the US didn't have the uh, let's call it 'best relationship' pre-1960s even in West Germany and the regulations on car modification. Like it's not illegal to modify your car but it's pretty safe to assume if you took off panels, elevated noise levels, changed tires/wheels, used large body kits, replaced certain things, you'll be getting crooked looks at inspection and pulled off the road by the police for routine license/papers checks a heck of a lot more often.

It's pretty friggin' tight all around, the angle of "call Dekra or the TÜV ask before you do" is more or less the rule of thumb. At work we did lots of business with a GM enthusiast in Mülheim who lamented the fact that while modding is allowed, you'll be double-checking everything or forfeit your insurance there and then. He had imported a '80 Firebird Trans Am that came with chunky side exhausts and he was more or less 'convinced' to revert it to the original muffled exhausts when guys at Dekra basically refused the noise level check on it. I reckon a near 90% custom hot rod ain't gonna see legal status yeah hah.

Anyway to join the topic, I'd kill for them old Revell Premium kits to be given another spin, or re-introduced. Those were absolutely excellent kits, woof. Ain't too upset with the EU releases of the American kits, they usually get far nicer decal sheets and instructions, not to mention half the cost for me as a Euro-boy to get.

After the super ordeal to get this one built................ :wacko:

16494724676340-vi.jpg

I won't be touching any of Revell's old "Premium Kits" again any time soon! This was a holy grail kit for me and Tamiya boxing notwithstanding, this was a nightmare IMO to build. I shouldn't complain too much though as these can cost a super huge penny on the 'Bay. I got it I think for $40 as it had some damage to the A pillar and roof I was able to fix.

Either which way, unless you like to deal with a lot of fixing and improvising, I do NOT recommend this kit to the average builder. Cool car, not so cool kit.

BTW, I have both Revell's BMW 750 IL and the Mercedes (can't think of the model right now) two door hardtop. It may be a looooooong time before I'll consider building those. Nice to look at in the parts stage. Possibly not so nice to build if the BMW 850 seen here is any indication!

Not to derail the discussion, but I did look at the Stars & Stripes link about US servicemen and their cars.  I find it interesting because I lived in Germany from 1969-72 as a US military dependent.   I remember a vibrant car community,  and local drag races on the post airstrip.

Here's an article I wrote about it back in 1999.  This site picked up my articles from my long gone website.  I'm pleased that they preserved it.  I just noticed that the article did not include the illustrations, so I'm sending them along and hoping that they add them.

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/articles/0085.php

image.png.4f7e39dc4287636cb9be420d28c8362d.png

image.png.ab2b7b5785c779bc9084ca2b6134df24.png

image.png.ae6906a7ddb10b093b1afa614c4a6578.png

image.png.d83d6e2c69e2bc72d199faed319cb386.png

image.png.ea05d35b5869dfc10824f37de938ff73.png

image.png.6174cf0afa90cf1e177f371e84d553c2.png

image.png.a8ee13b720488d13b7637fea36de59f5.png

german13

All my photos:

https://public.fotki.com/modelcitizen/11_car_reference_library/pirmasens-germany-d/

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

After the super ordeal to get this one built................ :wacko:

16494724676340-vi.jpg

I won't be touching any of Revell's old "Premium Kits" again any time soon! This was a holy grail kit for me and Tamiya boxing notwithstanding, this was a nightmare IMO to build. I shouldn't complain too much though as these can cost a super huge penny on the 'Bay. I got it I think for $40 as it had some damage to the A pillar and roof I was able to fix.

Either which way, unless you like to deal with a lot of fixing and improvising, I do NOT recommend this kit to the average builder. Cool car, not so cool kit.

BTW, I have both Revell's BMW 750 IL and the Mercedes (can't think of the model right now) two door hardtop. It may be a looooooong time before I'll consider building those. Nice to look at in the parts stage. Possibly not so nice to build if the BMW 850 seen here is any indication!

Did this 3 series about 20 years ago and was not overly difficult.  One thing I found on many premium series was shallow body lines that needed careful attention.

DSCF9578.JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder

1 hour ago, echoxrayniner said:

Ain't too upset with the EU releases of the American kits, they usually get far nicer decal sheets and instructions, not to mention half the cost for me as a Euro-boy to get.

True just have to live with the side opening boxes.

Edited by dbostream

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

The 750il isn't that bad to build, though the front sit a little high. I also built the 3 series, which is fine too if you shave the back of the separate headlight buckets that then allows the bumper and lenses to sit closer to the body. The Tamiya instructions for the 8 and 3 series also had extra constructive tips that the Revell instructions did not.

7 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I hope they do a full glue and snap C8.  That is, unless Round 2 gets the promo contract again.        

Does Round 2 even do new kits anymore?  Personally, I think a C8 is a no brainer for Revell, and they have already done the Ford GT.  Both cars deserve a large scale version.  though a 1/8 scale model of this Corvette is probably out of the question.  Maybe a 1/16 Easy-Click version?

On 11/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Does Round 2 even do new kits anymore?  Personally, I think a C8 is a no brainer for Revell, and they have already done the Ford GT.  Both cars deserve a large scale version.  though a 1/8 scale model of this Corvette is probably out of the question.  Maybe a 1/16 Easy-Click version?

The last new tool from Round 2 was the 6th gen Camaro, I believe.  The C8 definitely deserves to be made in different scales and building skill levels.  However, if Revell is bold enough to do a 1/8th scale version of the C8, they should also reissue the '85, '82, '79(?), and the '65 Corvette.   In fact, I'd like the see them reissue the 1/8th scale XKE, Camaro Iroc-Z and the Firebird Trans Am as well.  Prices on Ebay are getting insane if you can find them.

Edited by the other Mike S.

8 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

The last new tool from Round 2 was the 6th gen Camaro, I believe.  The C8 definitely deserves to be made in different scales and building skill levels.  However, if Revell is bold enough to do a 1/8th scale version of the C8, they should also reissue the '85, '82, '79(?), and the '65 Corvette.   In fact, I'd like the see them reissue the 1/8th scale XKE, Camaro Iroc-Z and the Firebird Trans Am as well.  Prices on Ebay are getting insane if you can find them.

Oh there are all sorts of kits It would be nice to see reissued, including those ones.  Of course all the factors working against new kits apply even more so when we venture into large scale territory. 

• Xingu locked this topic