Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020

Luc Janssens

6 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I have the original Sunny kit and I always thought this car more represented an FIA car and NOT an actual 427. Not a bad kit at all, just not a proper 427 as we have known and seen it.

Better to stay away from that one unless you want to do some body corrections. That body to me always appeared a bit "thick" especially in the door frame area as those A pillars are waaaaay too heavy looking to my eyes. There's other aspects about it that don't seem right compared to the 1:1. It reminds me of Revell's reboxing of the 275 GTB Ferrari which is also way out of proportion. I just can't think of who the original manufacturer of that kit was at the moment.

Edit: I just thought of the maker as soon as I hit the send key. Renwal? They never did a correction of that kit and every time I see that beautiful 1:1 car on the box art, I immediately know that what's inside will be woefully disappointing. :(

Thanks for the heads up, maybe it is a good idea to stay away from Renwal all together. Almost bought the Ferrari 275 GTB a week ago glad I didn't.

Edited by dbostream

Looking over the kit listing I surely hope that bus IS this one!

Volkswagen_T2_Buses_and_Coaches_283daa8f

Snap-Fit notwithstanding, I can kitbash the more detailed chassis with something else.  I don't think this has ever been done in scale, but I could be wrong. I have seen built diecasts, but it'll be nice to have a plastic one of this.

The Jag coupe might be the old Aurora one that's been out plenty of times. I'm not crazy about that one as once again, its proportions look off to me especially in the nose. Want a nice E-Type coupe?? Seek out Heller's VERY nice albeit simplified kit of this car. The lines look spot on and if you're willing to spend some money, look on eBay for Fernando Pinto's hand laced wire wheels. EXCELLENT looking to my eyes!

5 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Thanks for the heads up, maybe it is a good idea to stay away from Renwal all together. Almost bought the Ferrari 275 GTB a week ago glad I didn't.

GOOD MOVE! That one disappointed me a long time ago once I got a gander at the body! I could probably make the corrections, but there's times when kits are simply costing too much to want to go through all of those changes! ?

3 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Looking over the kit listing I surely hope that bus IS this one!

Volkswagen_T2_Buses_and_Coaches_283daa8f

Snap-Fit notwithstanding, I can kitbash the more detailed chassis with something else.  I don't think this has ever been done in scale, but I could be wrong. I have seen built diecasts, but it'll be nice to have a plastic one of this.

The Jag coupe might be the old Aurora one that's been out plenty of times. I'm not crazy about that one as once again, its proportions look off to me especially in the nose. Want a nice E-Type coupe?? Seek out Heller's VERY nice albeit simplified kit of this car. The lines look spot on and if you're willing to spend some money, look on eBay for Fernando Pinto's hand laced wire wheels. EXCELLENT looking to my eyes!

Says the E-Type is a new tool.

Got this newsletter with a small photo of the T2: https://www.revell-news.de/display.php?M=21252&C=8e59249e112b9ecc742ea2dcbbab8f7f&L=2&N=249

3 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Says the E-Type is a new tool.

Got this newsletter with a small photo of the T2: https://www.revell-news.de/display.php?M=21252&C=8e59249e112b9ecc742ea2dcbbab8f7f&L=2&N=249

Aaaah OK! Just took a look at the link you sent. I'll see about grabbing one when it comes out as I'm curious to see how it stacks up to Heller's. That T2 bus should be a good seller........lots of possibilities with that one!

24 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Aaaah OK! Just took a look at the link you sent. I'll see about grabbing one when it comes out as I'm curious to see how it stacks up to Heller's.

I used to own the Aurora kit but sold it. I also have the Heller kit both the Coupe and the Cabriolet. It seems all but the Gunze tool (which I don't know anything about) are from the 60's-70's one would think they would be able to do a more accurate kit with today's technology. 

2 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

The AC 289 had a coil spring chassis. The Academy kit has original 289 Cobra transverse spring chassis with a 427 body so represents a car that I believe never existed.

Correct.  The 427 body had the coil over suspension (see the Revellogram 427 Cobra), the Sunny kit is based on the original AMT kit which provides a transverse leaf springs chassis.  Therefore the Sunny kit it is neither fish nor fowl. It can be modified to represent a FIA 289, 427 or an AC 289 but it doesn't represent any of them straight out of the box.

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Ahh I missed the generation designation, since all vans are colloquially "Type 2"s. In that case that is a whole new tooling. That also makes me wonder if that T1 "Camper" isn't one of the kits that Ebbro was involved with...

It is a bit confusing, since the Type 1 is the beetle, the Type 2 is the transporter, but the generations of the transporters is also called T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 and now the T6.

1 hour ago, afx said:

Correct.  The 427 body had the coil over suspension (see the Revellogram 427 Cobra), the Sunny kit is based on the original AMT kit which provides a transverse leaf springs chassis.  Therefore the Sunny kit it is neither fish nor fowl. It can be modified to represent a FIA 289, 427 or an AC 289 but it doesn't represent any of them straight out of the box.

I guess I am disappointed if it is a release of the Sunny kit.  What I really want is a plastic slab side 289 which has not been done in 1/24 except in resin or the Shelby Collectibles diecast which is actually decent except for the wheels.

20200101_094635.jpg.6d6f8880146c6f3e89770980cad80fc7.jpg

Pics copied from DBO's link to flyer above. Cobra looks like Sunny by wheels, but rear fenders seem less bulbous? Not FIA by long shot, but maybe closer?

T2 is called Bay-window, which is what is depicted in photo. T1 Camper looks like Westfalia, I forget if they called it that on T1's

E looks decent, Heller really pretty nice after all these years. Hoping that's real tool.

Norm@ RMCM has Tamiya Dunlop wires and tires that are perfect, cheaper than FPP (though worth every nickel). Run away from fright pig Monogram/Aurora E-type, GTO, run fast. DB4, Maserati 3500 are decent, some builds here. Gunze E is nice, rear 1/3 wheelwell needs more curve (years washing a family 67 E OTS).

I can see no changes to i8. I thought convertible may come, but I guess edition of coupe. 

Happy New Years. 

07669.jpg07668.jpg07670.jpg07667.jpg07674.jpg

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

I guess I am disappointed if it is a release of the Sunny kit.  What I really want is a plastic slab side 289 which has not been done in 1/24 except in resin or the Shelby Collectibles diecast which is actually decent except for the wheels.

I would be very happy if they up-scaled the excellent 1/43 scale kit.

Image result for monogram 1/43 cobra

From the pic of the t1 camper it looks like they've put a cupboard in front of the side window. I'm not too up on the camper variations but it could be westphalia, devon, danbury or many others . I'll have to get my camper and bus mags out to be certain, but i think the westphalia had a full length pop top. Hopefully the aftermarket will do a variety of trim options for the interior since to make the different campers its mostly just a case of rearranging the interior.

Looks like the i8 is being released with the optional "Turbine" wheels as the "variant". I'll pass as I  (and I suspect anyone who really cared) got a set of those from Plamoz back when the kit was new.

The Camper T1 does indeed look to be the one that Ebbro was working with Revell to produce. There are two actually, one is a Kombi, the other a Westfalia.

Cool, I didn't know Ebbro in loop. Early Westies weren't full length, I don't think. Bay windows were first with full length. There may have been a longer pop-up that was factory, or one that fit the ragtop hole. Interesting to learn. 

1 hour ago, BVC500 said:

Nice to see the E-type redone, but why not coupe and convertible like the Porsche 356 models?

I'd bet that the convertible version is designed into the new kit, and will eventually be issued.  If they had issued it first, of course there would be people asking about the coupe...

3 hours ago, DukeE said:

Cobra looks like Sunny by wheels, but rear fenders seem less bulbous? Not FIA by long shot, but maybe closer?

07669.jpg

Yep that is the old Sunny Cobra.  It can be made into a FIA Roadster by reshaping to nose, filling to side pipe opening and creating the cut back doors.

DSCN3173DSCN3176DSCN4460

Edited by afx

1 hour ago, BVC500 said:

Nice to see the E-type redone, but why not coupe and convertible like the Porsche 356 models?

I suspect it will give them the chance to drag out releases over a couple of years rather than doing them both at once.  The 356s made a bit more sense as one was a SnapTite and the other a glue kit, nominally those are two different markets, even if they were both more tilted at adults being large scale.

What's interesting is the Jag, T2 and one 1/72 airplane are the only two all new tools in the ENTIRE 2020 release slate.  A lot of modified reissues and co-op releases.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, BVC500 said:

I am more interested in which coupe it will be, will it be the 2 seater or the 2+2? I hope for the first.

I think the photo they supplied is from the 1/8th model, so I am not using this photo as reference for the upcoming kit.

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I suspect it will give them the chance to drag out releases over a couple of years rather than doing them both at once.  The 356s made a bit more sense as one was a SnapTite and the other a glue kit, nominally those are two different markets, even if they were both more tilted at adults being large scale.

What's interesting is the Jag, T2 and one 1/72 airplane are the only two all new tools in the ENTIRE 2020 release slate.  A lot of modified reissues and co-op releases.

On the IPMS page this memo was placed...

"Welcome to the new decade! As promised, there is the Revell News for 2020. News tools are limited as Revell invests more resources in the preschool sector - hopefully something will come back. However, there are some interesting reissues, form variations, form takeovers (in the Revell diction "New Tools") and collaborations. In any case, I have already selected two or three models for purchase. Vehicle fans will likely find something to buy in the new Jaguar E-Type or T2 Bulli. Have fun browsing: Revell News 2020"

Which means that they're investing in product to get kids and youngsters into building experience, I often wonder what Lego has which model companies don't have.

Edited by Luc Janssens

• Xingu locked this topic