Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020

Luc Janssens

I'm certainly panicking over any possible C8 kit, which is pure speculation at this point, and it's not like I don't have plenty of kits to build in the meantime.   That they are releasing new kits is encouraging, and put them ahead of certain other companies.  That initial pic of the E-type left me skeptical, but it wouldn't be the first time a Revell kit didn't match the initial promo art, so we'll see.

Admittedly I know nothing about the process of manufacturing new tools but how hard can it be to get the a car body correct with the technology available today? Understandable if it was much harder 50-60 years ago. We can only hope that the new E-Type is as accurate as we always wanted.

11 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I'm not expecting a model of the C8 to come out before the actual carReally? You made it sound like the end of Revell was coming because they hadn't announced a kit yet. Do you know what is involved in developing a kit? Didn't think so. First, the model company has to get licensed to make it, then they have to have access to the vehicle, then they have to develop the tooling, then they run test shots, then, after it's been signed off on by the car company and the kit company, they have to manufacture them, and then ship them to the US.

That hasn't happened in generations.  However, the new (parent?) company take over by (Blitz?) most likely has delayed it even further among other things that were in development at the time.  As far as I can tell, Round 2 has not picked up the promo contract from GM.  Again, how do you know what Revell is working on? They wouldn't announce any new kits until they have a signed contract, see my comments above.

It would be nice to see a somewhat timely release of a simplified promo-like snapper of the C8, but that probably won't happen.  Some people may disagree, but I think it's still important to have a plastic model kit available during a new car release in the same yead.  Especially with a car as significant as the new mid engine C8 is.  We're not talking about a new kit of an old Land Rover or something.  We're talking about the new kit of the C8.  The C8 is significant in many respects. Sure, it would be nice, but how many C8's have you seen driving around town? Does your dealer have one? How do you expect a model kit company to develop a new kit if they can't measure the real car?

Once the real car hits the street and the market gets saturated somewhat, the intitial buzz and excitment wanes and the demand from modelers and enthusiasts alike to have scale replica lessens a bit, at least for me it does.  Yeah, I'll still want one after 2-3 years, but it's not as criitical as it once was during the actual 1:1 car debut.  Which is why Revell sold out the first run of the 68 Chevelle, right? Because 51 years after it was introduced there wasn't any interest in that kit?

You'd think the model companies would understand this.  However, like you mentioned above, they want to basically print money with a reissue of an already amortized many times over tooling run.  I can't blame them.  On the other hand, opportunities like the new mid engine C8 don't come along too often.  So, it would be good to capitalize on that the best way possible.  I guess this is where the diecast fans come in and get to have their cake and eat it too.  A new tool can cost upwards of $250,000 , so printing money takes a lot kit sales before they turn a profit. The reason why we still see Mustangs, Camaros, Cudas and the like is because they sell.   

I took the liberty of answering your questions because the more you speculate, the worse you paint the situation as being. 

3 hours ago, dbostream said:

Admittedly I know nothing about the process of manufacturing new tools but how hard can it be to get the a car body correct with the technology available today? Understandable if it was much harder 50-60 years ago. We can only hope that the new E-Type is as accurate as we always wanted.

Depends on the vehicle and the person measuring/photographing it, really. Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Well, Maisto is coming out with a C8 diecast in the reasonably near future...

THANK YOU!

Based on recent history I don't think it should surprise anyone that Revell will need some time on this if they can manage it at all. Long as they move it a wee bit back down the field relative to the simplified C7 kits, I'm good with a wait.

In the meantime, though, I'll take a block of C8-carved balsa wood if that's the first thing to come out.

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I took the liberty of answering your questions because the more you speculate, the worse you paint the situation as being. 

I'm not sure why the text quote function is disabled, but will do my best to response to your comments.

First, do I know what is involved in manufacturing a brand new model kit?  Yes, I do.  Your assumption that I don't know is somewhat arrogant and kind of dismissive.  I don't know why your trying to be difficult.  My speculation, as you call it, was based on information that I have read online with a little commentary on my part.  It's sounds like you have a vested financial interest in Blitz.  The way you paint the picture of how "hard" and difficult" it is to develop and manufacture a new model kit makes me think that if it was up to you, we would never see a new kit ever.  Just reisssue the old ones that have been fully amortized tooling costs and basically be a reissue generator.   As far as I know, Revell is in the model kit making business.  It's their job to develop and manufacture new model kits.  The question you pose is so basic that it kind of defies any kind of reasonable explanation.  It's like, yeah duh, that's what they're supposed to be doing as a model kit company to keep the revenue stream flowing.  Making new kits of new/new old cars to keep consumers buying their products. 

Second, no I don't know exactly what they're working on.  However, I can search for what info is available out there and come to reasonable conclusions.  If they ran into problems because the new owners (Blitz) shut down the U.S. warehouses, that tells me right there they have more pressing concerns getting their product to consumers than developing new product.  I would think any new product development that was happening at the time of the Hobbico implosion ordeal would have been seriously affected.  Also, having to get Ed Sexton back in the fold of the company tells me they are in desperate need for experienced talent to get things rolling again.  Again, this is not mere "rumours" on my part, but reasonable conclusions from some of the info that has been presented even here.

Third, the first C8 coupe deliveries are due at high allocation GM Chevrolet dealers during the first week of Feb 3rd, while convertibles will see deliveries sometime later in March.  So, it's coming up fast.  I think the knowledge you have about measuring a real car to make a kit is less than desirable for the discussion at hand.  During new car introduction like the C8, the model kit company would have had the factory blueprints of the car to make a model kit of it about a year or two in advance from what I've read.  They would develop the wooden masters from those detailed factory blueprints and pantograph that down to the scale desired for the tooling and start the machining process to make the tooling inserts for plastic injection molding.  These days, I would think CAD or some other computer aided design software program would replace some of the older methods that were used in the past.  I'm sure as the future unfolds, laser scanning and 3D printing will be used more often as well.

Fourth, in what post did I ever say the new release '68 Chevelle was not a good seller?  The '68 Chevelle was a new tool of an old car.  When I was talking about money printing,  I was referring to kits already developed long ago and reissued again and again and again.  The '68 Chevelle was a brand new release from Revell.  New kits can be both brand new cars like C8 Corvette and older cars that were never done or reissued again.  Yes, technically the '68 Chevelle was done by AMT back in '68.  However, that has never been reissued because it was converted into the '69 back in the day.

Fifth, yes I know the general figures on what a brand new tool costs.  It's expensive.  However, we're talking about the C8 Corvette.  That car will sell like hotcakes both in 1:1 scale and in small scale.  It's a no brainer.  The thing that concerns me is the general negative attitude of your comments regarding a new C8 model kit from Revell.  It's almost as if you're trying to argue against it.  Like how "expensive" and "difficult" it is to develop a new model kit.  Well, if Revell is so strong and operating so smoothly as you say, I feel they should have no problem developing a new kit of the C8, even after all the expediture they recently made tooling up the new/old '68 Chevelle.  Just my thoughts.

Edited by the other Mike S.

I'm still waiting for a decent kit of the current Mustang and it's been out for years. So far we only have no headlight snap togethers. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a C8. That said I certainly hope they do one and that it is of a decent detail level. Time will tell.

38 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

However, we're talking about the C8 Corvette.  That car will sell like hotcakes both in 1:1 scale and in small scale.  It's a no brainer.  

There is only one "no brainer" I'm seeing here, and it isn't that the C8 will sell like hotcakes in any scale just like any other Corvette hasn't. Anyone in the resale market will tell you that, I have a friend that has a live auction group on Facebook and he will not buy any Corvette kits as a part of any collection for one reason: THEY DO NOT SELL! Corvette kits are almost as bad as NASCAR kits, nobody wants them no matter what year they are! 

3 minutes ago, highway said:THEY DO NOT SELL! Corvette kits are almost as bad as NASCAR kits, nobody wants them no matter what year they are! 

Darn it! I wonder how my two built and seven (four street in two scales and three race, all different generations) in the stash got there, then. I must have been given them by a friend or picked them up with packets of cereal...

?

Best,

M.

1 hour ago, the other Mike S. said:

I'm not sure why the text quote function is disabled, but will do my best to response to your comments.

First, do I know what is involved in manufacturing a brand new model kit?  Yes, I do.  Your assumption that I don't know is somewhat arrogant and kind of dismissive.  I don't know why your trying to be difficult.  My speculation, as you call it, was based on information that I have read online with a little commentary on my part.  It's sounds like you have a vested financial interest in Blitz.  The way you paint the picture of how "hard" and difficult" it is to develop and manufacture a new model kit makes me think that if it was up to you, we would never see a new kit ever.  Just reisssue the old ones that have been fully amortized tooling costs and basically be a reissue generator.   As far as I know, Revell is in the model kit making business.  It's their job to develop and manufacture new model kits.  The question you pose is so basic that it kind of defies any kind of reasonable explanation.  It's like, yeah duh, that's what they're supposed to be doing as a model kit company to keep the revenue stream flowing.  Making new kits of new/new old cars to keep consumers buying their products. 

Second, no I don't know exactly what they're working on.  However, I can search for what info is available out there and come to reasonable conclusions.  If they ran into problems because the new owners (Blitz) shut down the U.S. warehouses, that tells me right there they have more pressing concerns getting their product to consumers than developing new product.  I would think any new product development that was happening at the time of the Hobbico implosion ordeal would have been seriously affected.  Also, having to get Ed Sexton back in the fold of the company tells me they are in desperate need for experienced talent to get things rolling again.  Again, this is not mere "rumours" on my part, but reasonable conclusions from some of the info that has been presented even here.

Third, the first C8 coupe deliveries are due at high allocation GM Chevrolet dealers during the first week of Feb 3rd, while convertibles will see deliveries sometime later in March.  So, it's coming up fast.  I think the knowledge you have about measuring a real car to make a kit is less than desirable for the discussion at hand.  During new car introduction like the C8, the model kit company would have had the factory blueprints of the car to make a model kit of it about a year or two in advance from what I've read.  They would develop the wooden masters from those detailed factory blueprints and pantograph that down to the scale desired for the tooling and start the machining process to make the tooling inserts for plastic injection molding.  These days, I would think CAD or some other computer aided design software program would replace some of the older methods that were used in the past.  I'm sure as the future unfolds, laser scanning and 3D printing will be used more often as well.

Fourth, in what post did I ever say the new release '68 Chevelle was not a good seller?  The '68 Chevelle was a new tool of an old car.  When I was talking about money printing,  I was referring to kits already developed long ago and reissued again and again and again.  The '68 Chevelle was a brand new release from Revell.  New kits can be both brand new cars like C8 Corvette and older cars that were never done or reissued again.  Yes, technically the '68 Chevelle was done by AMT back in '68.  However, that has never been reissued because it was converted into the '69 back in the day.

Fifth, yes I know the general figures on what a brand new tool costs.  It's expensive.  However, we're talking about the C8 Corvette.  That car will sell like hotcakes both in 1:1 scale and in small scale.  It's a no brainer.  The thing that concerns me is the general negative attitude of your comments regarding a new C8 model kit from Revell.  It's almost as if you're trying to argue against it.  Like how "expensive" and "difficult" it is to develop a new model kit.  Well, if Revell is so strong and operating so smoothly as you say, I feel they should have no problem developing a new kit of the C8, even after all the expediture they recently made tooling up the new/old '68 Chevelle.  Just my thoughts.

It's rather obvious by your bloviating that you have much more insight, knowledge and understanding than any of us that have been around here and this hobby for decades, not to mention you must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so therefore we must all bow at your feet and admit defeat. 

The funny thing is, if you know all so much, what was the point of posting your question/statement in the first place?

Back on-topic, I predict besides what has already been announced, we may see from Revell a mix of reissues, modified reissues and maybe a new tool or two.   And they will be released on specific dates.  That is about as non-controversial a prediction I can make...

17 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Back on-topic, I predict besides what has already been announced, we may see from Revell a mix of reissues, modified reissues and maybe a new tool or two.   And they will be released on specific dates.  That is about as non-controversial a prediction I can make...

dUYuAwE.gif

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

It's rather obvious by your bloviating that you have much more insight, knowledge and understanding than any of us that have been around here and this hobby for decades, not to mention you must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so therefore we must all bow at your feet and admit defeat. 

The funny thing is, if you know all so much, what was the point of posting your question/statement in the first place?

He did post how mean we are over on Spotlight board. LOL. The horror, the horror!!11!! ?

More speculation...maybe GM wants an outrageous deal to license a C8 kit?  In years past, multiple companies might have been willing to step up, especially if they had an exclusive deal.  In the post-promotional model era, it might be a diecast company that bags an exclusive deal on a 1/24 scale replica, potentially shutting out any kit manufacturer(s) that may have wanted to get in on doing one...

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

More speculation...maybe GM wants an outrageous deal to license a C8 kit?  In years past, multiple companies might have been willing to step up, especially if they had an exclusive deal.  In the post-promotional model era, it might be a diecast company that bags an exclusive deal on a 1/24 scale replica, potentially shutting out any kit manufacturer(s) that may have wanted to get in on doing one...

GM, in the past, has been a bear to deal with on licensing.........so......

As I believe has been mentioned once or twice in this very thread, the dynamic somehow got tense enough between GM and Revell that the former did not permit the latter early access to data on the C7, so they had to measure a car at a dealership to produce the kits they did (making even the simplified result more impressive for all that).  This is something I and a number of others have straight from Mr. Sexton himself.  So if this factor hasn't changed, there's a pretty obvious scenario in which Revell's process on the C8 might be delayed without the company necessarily being in trouble, supposing there is such a process underway.

ALSO, as Duke E pointed out earlier, Revell AG's preview pic of the E-Type is plainly that of the old Monogram 1/8.  The tires alone should give that away on a gaudy silver platter.

• Xingu locked this topic