Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

I often wonder what Lego has which model companies don't have.

To me Legos could be anything, one day I built a truck and the next I'd build a space ship or anything else. You can mix and match model parts around but you're still more limited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A new tool E-Type has my attention, but the headlight covers in that photo look suspiciously like the Aurora version.

I built  the 1/12 scale Gullwing many years ago, and if it's going to be that same one, then yes, it is that bad.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mark said:

I'd bet that the convertible version is designed into the new kit, and will eventually be issued.  If they had issued it first, of course there would be people asking about the coupe...

But what about the LTW hardtop? 😛

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I often wonder what Lego has which model companies don't have.

Customers (Fun fact-Lego is largest tire producer in the world https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_tire )

I remembered your great FIA build. It is indeed the Sunny weirdness. It just looked a little less bulbous in the rear fenders. Windshield layback not there, doors, nada. Puzzling why they'd take that on unless cheap. 

Edited by DukeE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Box art of new E is indeed the old box art of the 1/8 E.image.jpeg.3be12125da01f93fe2318b77c1da55e4.jpeg

The Aurora/Monogram E resembles an E that was backed into and nose crushed. Bumpers and HL covers still can't fix it or the roof, which is incorrect for a 2 seat or a 2+2

image.jpeg.e5d1ffd8d682433cb1d53db892f328a1.jpeg

We can give Revell the benefit of doubt, as the new Land Rover kit is pretty nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This restructuring or regrouping of Revell seems to be the nails in the coffin for Revell USA auto kits.  The fact that there is no C8 kit or even rumors of one (a pretty big deal here in the U.S.) tells me they're not in a very healthy financial position.  Maybe they can sell off their automotive tooling bank to Round 2 or something?  People on the modeling sites say Revell is still strong, but no new C8 kit tells me that may not be the case.   I hope I'm wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't start unfounded rumors. Could be licensing, could be in pipeline, or could be unannounced. This isn't the whole year, there are additional announcements all year. Not personal, but people infer if it was on intarweb, it's true. Bankruptcy of a corporation with new buyers pauses, kills, or restarts lots of things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real C8 hasn't even hit the streets yet, and didn't it take at least a year before we saw kits of the current Ford GT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Please don't start unfounded rumors. Could be licensing, could be in pipeline, or could be unannounced. This isn't the whole year, there are additional announcements all year. Not personal, but people infer if it was on intarweb, it's true. Bankruptcy of a corporation with new buyers pauses, kills, or restarts lots of things.  

If they went bankrupt, then what I stated about their financial condition would be true, no?    Unless Round 2 has a promo contract again, I don't see them making a C8.  They're mostly in the reissue or modified tooling reissue business (like the supernatural 4 door Impala based off the 2 door fastback).  Revell has traditionally been the one these days to invest in new tooling for old and current new model cars.  No C8 anouncement is a big deal.  I hope that I'm wrong and that there will be a sudden announcement coming up.  

Edited by the other Mike S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

If they went bankrupt, then what I stated about their financial condition would be true, no?    Unless Round 2 has a promo contract again, I don't see them making a C8.  They're mostly in the reissue or modified tooling reissue business (like the supernatural 4 door Impala based off the 2 door fastback).  Revell has traditionally been the one these days to invest in new tooling for old and current new model cars.  No C8 anouncement is a big deal.  I hope that I'm wrong and that there will be a sudden announcement coming up.  

For what I hope is the last time, let me once AGAIN point out that Revell didn't go bankrupt. Hobbico, the parent company did. Revell and Estes were by the end the only two divisions who were turning a profit, which is why they were sold individually and the fetid mess they made of the R/C business and Mail Order business was divested as a conglomerated goop to Horizon.

In the course of an hour you made up a rumor and then doubled down on it by not having your facts right. Do everyone a favor and stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

...the fetid mess they made of the R/C business and Mail Order business was divested as a conglomerated goop to Horizon.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha...breathe...bwahahahahahahahaha. Post of the year :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha...breathe...bwahahahahahahahaha. Post of the year :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...😉

Looking forward to an accurately shaped, detailed E-Type Jag, was hoping Tamiya would get to it first. After looking at the wheels in their recent kits (separate wheel covers, please), I am wondering how they will mould the wire wheels. The T2 will be nice to have, and may get a camper, but nothing else interests me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

 I often wonder what Lego has which model companies don't have.

lego were saved when they got the star wars movie paraphenalia, it led to more movie tie ins and pretty much saved the company. From what I've read they seem to follow the round2 model when it comes to nostalgic toys and are aimed at collectors taht had them as children rather than kids now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

News tools are limited as Revell invests more resources in the preschool sector

So that explains why there are so few new tools lately, too bad. Very happy they are doing a new E-Type though and I want the T2 as well even though it's an easy click.

Edited by dbostream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting for Revell to release more versions of the new sprint car. Pay some license fees and they can take advantage of the new tooling. Tempted to buy more of the Joey Saldana version for future builds but waiting to see if I'll get kits with decals that I don't have to buy extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely looking forward to the Jag, but the VW vans look interesting also! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dbostream said:

So that explains why there are so few new tools lately, too bad. Very happy they are doing a new E-Type though and I want the T2 as well even though it's an easy click.

I can't blame them for diversifying as a company. Round2 has done the exact same thing, yet it flew right under most people's radar...:

C51053WAMTBrickKitsBlueSportsCarRC.jpg.7e3324d380469e64d7aa92a281aedc68.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Casey said:

I can't blame them for diversifying as a company. Round2 has done the exact same thing, yet it flew right under most people's radar...:

C51053WAMTBrickKitsBlueSportsCarRC.jpg.7e3324d380469e64d7aa92a281aedc68.jpg


Yeah, did a promo video on that for them.

Nice kits, very easy to build and kids should like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

A new tool E-Type has my attention, but the headlight covers in that photo look suspiciously like the Aurora version.

I built  the 1/12 scale Gullwing many years ago, and if it's going to be that same one, then yes, it is that bad.

I’ve spent a lot of time going over the Renwal/Monogram/Revell 1/12 Gullwing, and it’s not as irredeemable as it seems at first glance (unlike the horrendous trash of the 1/12 Ferrari 275GTB). Overall, the body is reasonably accurate except for doors that aren’t  wide enough, but I can live with that, considering that any other large-scale Gullwing is way expensive. The engine bay is another matter and seems to have been designed by the blind men describing a camel, and the ridiculous shift lever, well, it’s ridiculous but easy to get right. I won’t bore you with further details, but I’ll be glad to answer questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The real C8 hasn't even hit the streets yet, and didn't it take at least a year before we saw kits of the current Ford GT?

yes, but the Vette has been burned twice by the toy and model companies. AMT released early with the '63, the car mags used photos of the model. In '69, it was HotWheels that showed the new car before Chevy did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

57 and 51 years ago. Most people can't tell you a single news event from either year. :(

Now ANY (good in most cases) publicity is good publicity.

Everyone has seen it. But paperwork intervenes. Personally think it's over-styled and ugly, and I love ME cars. Ehh. 

 

LOL, just looked at "Blue Sports Car" box. IP atty will enjoy that. Impressed at 400pc though. Definitely not pre-school. 

Edited by DukeE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to the possibility of a C8 Vette. Two things - this list was the 2020 RevellAG release slate. They've never included U.S. kits on it (unless they were being reboxed for Euro sale) at any point under any form of ownership arrangement. So we'll just have to wait to see what our side of the pond has in store beyond reboxing the Land Rover.

Secondly people around here may remember the kerfuffle in regards to the C7 - Revell had burnt so many bridges at GM that they weren't given the factory CAD data and instead had to go to a Chevy dealership and measure the car themselves. Well the C8 has been in a production delay now for a couple of months and nobody has one to sell, so they can't measure something they don't have an access to...obviously. As far as a C8.R, that hasn't officially hit the track yet (although it will in a few weeks at the Roar Daytona practices). I'm sure a Pratt & Miller are at little busy prepping cars for the end of January to have Revell people crawling around the shop...and like other people have said, let's see it with something first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

For what I hope is the last time, let me once AGAIN point out that Revell didn't go bankrupt. Hobbico, the parent company did. Revell and Estes were by the end the only two divisions who were turning a profit, which is why they were sold individually and the fetid mess they made of the R/C business and Mail Order business was divested as a conglomerated goop to Horizon.

In the course of an hour you made up a rumor and then doubled down on it by not having your facts right. Do everyone a favor and stop it.

The tone of your reply sounds very aggressive and almost bullying to a certain extent.  For some reason, I'm on your "hate" radar for what was a legitimate comment of Revell's financial condition.

It's very obvious to me that your premise of everything being fine and dandy at Revell is not the case.  The recent bankruptcy of the parent company, Hobbico, severely affected Revell's operations here in the U.S.  That can not be a good thing for a company.  The recent backlogged restocking of product for U.S. based vendors tells me this. 

Also, if any new kit development was happening at the time this all went down, that would have delayed or perhaps all together cancelled any new product development for the time being.  Burning bridges at GM by your C7 comment is not a good thing either.   So, it looks to me that unless Round 2 has the promo contract again which is highly unlikely, any new plastic kit release of the C8 by Revell is going be delayed.  And, anything else that may have been in the pipeline along with it will be delayed as well.

The C8 will be a money maker.  Not having the new C8 in scale and in plastic, in the first or second quarter of 2020, is going to be a greatly missed opportunity.  Releasing the kit 1 or 2 years after the car is already out on the streets will never be the same.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be noted that the Revell owned by Hobbico is no longer in existence. Those employees were terminated. In that time there was no product development. Also from previous threads on the subject Ed Sexton was hired to suggest possible products for the US market since it different for the European market. Not sure how big the US group actually is. We will just have to give it time is see what new products are coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, samdiego said:

yes, but the Vette has been burned twice by the toy and model companies. AMT released early with the '63, the car mags used photos of the model. In '69, it was HotWheels that showed the new car before Chevy did

What? Have never heard these stories. What did Hot Wheels do in '69? The '69 Vette wasn't new. The C3 debuted as the '68, introduced in the fall of '67. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...