Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 3-window coupe 1933

Sportabout

This is my first rod. I like most '33 models and Revell ZZ Top Eliminator was a good starting point. The kit is quite simple so I used only body, interior and front suspension. Engine, transmission and rear suspension are unusable.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

I wanted same size white wall and tread to front and rear tires. AMT tire pack has nice narrow tires with medium size white wall. My friend said that vinyl tires can't be cut accurately so I sanded them and glued parts together.
_medium.jpg

Rear tires needed wider rims.
_medium.jpg

Front tires got narrow rims.
_medium.jpg

Stock rear end was too weak and Dana 60 replaced it.
_medium.jpg

392 Hemi is from Revell '41 Willys Street Rod.
_medium.jpg

Engine didn't fit to the chassis and interior and some modifications had to be made.

The cab roof required a lot of work before it fit into place but this is situation now.
_medium.jpg

Good looking hot rod so far. 

20 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Nice clean work, looks promising. It seems the stance will be dead on, circa 1960's...

CT

I dig the ‘60s stance, but imagine if salt flats hot rodders had Brembos like that back in the ‘60s! ?

Big engine requires powerful brakes ?. Drums are for small blocks. 

I would like to buy a big block '33-'34 rod but in Finland you can only put a standard chevy small block on an old rod. Big block or Hemi engines can't get street legal. Stupid law.

Edited by Sportabout

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Looking very nice, I do like a fenderless 33 , I have one on order now !

If I remember right, your supposed to add the interior first, then the roof ? 

Is there any problems fitting the roof and then adding the interior in afterwards ?

Looking forward to more on this !

Installing the interior was pretty easy from below, even though the roof was glued to the body. However, the door panels required some adjustments before they fit into place. The rear window was a bit tricky to add because the parcel shelf hindered the installation. The steering wheel required an aluminum tube to stay in place.

_medium.jpg

• 2 months later...

Little progress on this project.

To get the wheels straight I made a jig with my calipers. 5 minute epoxy is best glue to this.

_medium.jpg

I build a rack with plastic bars to hold the front end part in place. It had to be glued as a separate part to the frame.
The front end must be in place before I can install the radiator. There is not much space in the front of the engine.

_medium.jpg

The exhaust system is from Eliminator but parted to two pieces and painted with TS-83. Front pipe is made from soldering wire. The rear suspension is made of Pro Spotsman's front springs.

_medium.jpg

Test fitting parts again. Grille, headlights and air cleaner are not glued yet.

_medium.jpg

Designing the license plate.

_medium.jpg

Edited by Sportabout