Model Cars Magazine Forum

What can I use for a gas tank

Jeff, I believe this model was originally the MPC 32 Switchers kit, regardless of what box art logos may have come with it now.  When I built my version about 35 years ago I added the top of a AMT 32 roadster  fuel tank.  I typically use the cover of a Wilkinson Sword disposable razor to make the bottom of the fuel tank - have a look at the supermarket next time you are shopping and see if there is something close ( I have had my little stash for at least 30 years!

Otherwise, hit up a local modeller who has channelled a Monogram, AMT or Revell Deuce  because he will have a spare tank somewhere!

You will still have a bit of work ahead of you because MPC chopped off the inner edge of the rear fenders rather crudely which means the gap between the inner surfaces is somewhat wider than stock!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Alan

image.png.e4aa43f3c2c354bc2fdde4a81202a634.png

I am thinking that you are wanting a stock looking gas tank, and  Alan's suggestion is spot on.  There's nothing like a part from another kit.

But, if you will entertain a custom look, see the above photo. This is nothing more than a length of Evergreen tubing, with a round shape.. something like a headlight lens, on each end. Plus a kit gas cap.  All done in Alclad chrome.  

Per Alan's comment about the gap you need to fill between the frame ends, this solution would allow you to cut a gas tank to whatever length you need to fill your gap and look convincing.