Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Chevy rat rod dually

Well I figure it's far enough along to post now. Lately posting has been the kiss of death on my projects, but all the bugs are worked out on this one. The rest is just paint and assembly.

The first pic is the inspiration. So I started with AMT's '50 CHevy 3100. First I moved the rear axle back about 3/8 of an inch by stretching the chassis. I wanted to give it just a bit longer wheelbase as the inspiration truck is obviously a 3/4 ton or better, but the bed looks like it's been shortened after the rear fender. I fabbed up some motor mounts and channeled the bed so that the bottom is even witht he bottom of the cab.

49089838398_9428614cba_c.jpg

49090552737_0c5a46ff04_c.jpg

49089838118_1f6fd7b948_c.jpg

49089838178_3fb403642b_c.jpg

49089838338_33ea5cbda7_c.jpg

49090348026_eab986e98a_c.jpg

I ended up channeling the cab just a little bit so that I had to radius the front wheel arches. I have begun the weathering. I'll be doing some diamond plate in the bed and on the running boards which will also incorporate the exhaust exits. I have something special planned for the bed that I will keep a secret until the model is done. ?

49090348101_bdb19de16c_c.jpg

49090347931_f33a19c1ff_c.jpg

49089837653_bab40acd14_c.jpg

49090347796_09e66f22a0_c.jpg

49090552002_b2b9cd08ee_c.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good looking weathering. I saw a few old vehicles recently that looked exactly like that.

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Nice weathering! What did you use? 

Thanks guys. It's a thin coat of green over white on the cab and blue on the bed,  sanded down to show a bit of the previous color. Then I use a rusty wash. The sanded paint is real rough so the wash settles nicely into it and looks like surface rust. I will add a bit more in areas where moisture would settle and rust more heavily. I'm gonna add more rust around the bottom of the body later on. More soon. 

Great looking seat material. Don't know how far gone you're going to make this one, but an idea for the steering wheel. Have you ever noticed on a very old vehicle that has been out in the elements a long time the steering wheel and the inner metal ring start to come apart ? This will leave some gaps around the wheel where you can see the inner ring exposed. I have had the misfortune to drive such a truck and that steering wheel will rip your hands to shreds in no time. But it might work here depending.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking seat material. Don't know how far gone you're going to make this one, but an idea for the steering wheel. Have you ever noticed on a very old vehicle that has been out in the elements a long time the steering wheel and the inner metal ring start to come apart ? This will leave some gaps around the wheel where you can see the inner ring exposed. I have had the misfortune to drive such a truck and that steering wheel will rip your hands to shreds in no time. But it might work here depending.

Can you post a link to help us find the site for printing those cool blanket seat covers? Thanks.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, misterNNL said:

Great tip. Works perfectly!

Yep that's what I did.

I finally settled on an engine. I've had this built for about ten years and I'm happy it's finally in a model. More soon. I'm working on the cab glass and the bed diamond plate and it's weathering.

49122176677_af39d70dca_c.jpg

On 11/19/2019 at 12:12 PM, Jantrix said:

[...] Lately posting has been the kiss of death on my projects, [...]

49089838398_9428614cba_c.jpg

[...]

? Yea, I know right?  Coming back much later can be shocking.  Only because I owned a '48 rolling wreck last century, this is a favorite subject.   I've thought of doing a dually, but also as a "club cab".  I'll be watching, cheering you to the finish line!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...