Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Dodge Dart 440 Convertible

YBlock292

On 11/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Here's the list...

States Without A Front Plate Law

Every state requires at least a rear license plate, there are 19 states that do not require a front plate. These states are:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia

Illinois is talking about doing away with the front plate.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, Mike Williams said:

Beautiful build, respect.

Super smooth paint and excellent BMF detailing.

Such an old kit, and so well done is just a joy to view.

No idiotic slicks, no insane motor, just doing as the kit prescribes.  This, being done just as it is supposed to be.  Plus...the hood fits!

Compliments.

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Steve

On 11/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Here's the list...

States Without A Front Plate Law

Every state requires at least a rear license plate, there are 19 states that do not require a front plate. These states are:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia

A front license plate is not required in my state of Minnesota if you have "collector plates".

Might be the same for other states as well.

Steve

On 11/20/2019 at 9:49 AM, BigTallDad said:

You're in Germany, so I can understand what happened: cars in Florida do not have a license plate in the front.

Are you not still issued a pair of plates in Florida?

I was issued a pair of collector plates for my '69 Pontiac in Minnesota, but I am only required to display one.

If Florida issues a pair of plates, displaying a front plate would not be incorrect.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Are you not still issued a pair of plates in Florida?

I was issued a pair of collector plates for my '69 Pontiac in Minnesota, but I am only required to display one.

If Florida issues a pair of plates, displaying a front plate would not be incorrect.

Steve

In Florida, we only receive one plate.

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

In Florida, we only receive one plate.

Okay, that's why I asked.

I guess this is something that I never even considered when building.

I'm pretty sure that I probably have plenty of builds with plates on the front that apparently shouldn't have.

Not the typical thing that is on most people's minds when completing a model. ^_^

Just remember Ray, in the future, if you're building a model with Minnesota plates, you will need a front plate.

You wouldn't want to get picked up! :D

Steve

It might actually depend on the year model being built. Tennessee only requires one plate now, but we had to have two plates into the seventies. I also picked up a pair of vintage 1968 Michigan plates at a car show swap meet a few years ago.

Last I noticed,  New Jersey was proposing going to one plate as a cost cutting measure.

I grew up in NJ and always thought a car should have two plates.  I thought it odd when I moved to Pennsylvania 10 years ago to only have one plate.  But it grew on me!   I like that my cars don't need a front plate.  In fact in PA, you can display nearly anything you want in the front plate area.  We see lots of Euro plates..  you can display any non-current plate from other jurisdictions... thus the US Virgin Islands St John plate on the front of my Tracker. 

1 minute ago, Bucky said:

A lot of new vehicles are sold in Tennessee without a front bracket. My 2017 Chrysler 300s doesn't have one.

That one has bit me twice!  I bought my 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager new from a dealer in New Jersey.  When I went back to the dealer a week later to pick up the plates, and they went to install them for me, we noticed the mini van had no front bracket.  It had originally been shipped to Pennsylvania, a one plate state.  Dealer said he'd get me the bracket.

Dealer calls me a week later with a problem... not a bracket. Chrysler put a totally different front bumper on plate and non-plate vehicles! So not to change out the painted bumper, we agreed to put a bracket on it.  The front came to such a point, we agreed to put it to the center of the left side of the bumper.   That made it easy to spot in parking lots!

Second story... my daughter had to be one of the very first to buy a Fiat 500, some 7 years ago.  No dealer in New Jersey where she lived, but a huge dealer near me in Pennsylvania.  She buys the car, they order the front plate bracket.  I pick it up and bring it to her in NJ.  I had to drill the brand new painted plastic bumper cover.  At least it was just screwed to that!

And for anyone wanting to make a remark about the Fiat 500... she bought the full optioned white convertible like Jaylo drove in the commercials (and because of the commercials).  She has had it for 7 years and has 135,000 miles on it  without a single repair outside of regular maintenance.  

56 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just remember Ray, in the future, if you're building a model with Minnesota plates, you will need a front plate.

You wouldn't want to get picked up! :D

Steve

Thanks, Steve. If I build another model, I'll stick with Florida plates.

6 hours ago, Bucky said:

It might actually depend on the year model being built. Tennessee only requires one plate now, but we had to have two plates into the seventies. I also picked up a pair of vintage 1968 Michigan plates at a car show swap meet a few years ago.

5 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Thanks, Steve. If I build another model, I'll stick with Florida plates.

Okay, so there's another point to consider.

Were front plates required in Florida in 1962?

It's all be come far too complicated to worry about now! :rolleyes:

Steve