Model Cars Magazine Forum

A viable alternative to "Future" for UK modellers???

Jamese30

Hi All

I continue to read about the wonder of Future floor polish as a clearcoat and easy availability in the US. However, over the pond here in the UK its impossible to find.  I went on a mission to find what I think is the closest possible and try it out... "Pledge Floor Polish". 

It's around £6 a bottle but should last a while. The ingredients list doesnt give much away in terms of acrylic content... (see image) 

However, on my test subject it worked remarkably well. I hand painted the Hurricane (apologies it is not a car!) in Tamiya acrylics then hand painted the Pledge over the top a day later, doing a Vallejo paints wash 2 hours later to bring out the panel lines. 

It worked a treat allowing relatively easy wiping off of excess panel wash and also gave the plane a high gloss finish. After a panel wash application a matt clear coat could dumb this down (yet to try). 

What I would say is it made negligible difference applying onto an Oldsmobile body I painted with Halford car paint 20 years ago. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Happy building

James

IMG_20191119_082802.jpg

IMG_20191119_082811.jpg

IMG_20191119_082614.jpg

IMG_20191119_082546.jpg

Peteski

Yes, read that website in great detail several times but never anything clear on what there is available in UK now and what it looks like (due to relabelling/brand changes etc. - this is not branded as Pledge multi surface wax that swannysmodels refers to - unfortunately after trips to many different shops I couldn't find anything of that description so assume that has now been rebranded?? ). I hope my post on findings will be useful to other UK modellers.  

Was interested to test it to see if this particular chemical formula produced similar results to those I've read about from US readers. 

Looks positive so far ?

Edited by Jamese30

How about maybe going by smell?  Can you describe what your stuff smells like?  Although there is perfume listed on the bottle - they might be using different scent than what the pot in in the U.S. version.

As you mentioned, the vague ingredients list could be describing something that is water-based acrylic finish (that would likely be the resin acids).

If you're not wedded to it being floor polish as well as a modelling accessory, then the quaintly named "Mr Gauzy" gloss coats from AK Interactive are worth a look:

https://www.emodels.co.uk/ak-interactive-100ml-intermediate-gauzy-agent-shine-enhancer-894.html

https://www.emodels.co.uk/ak-interactive-100ml-gauzy-agent-glass-coat-893.html

They are as forgiving to use as Future, brush or airbrush, clean up with water, and the "glass coat" really does what it says on the tin if you dip clear parts in it...

best,

M.

Quick Shine Floor Finish is a good alternative to Pledge/Future/Whateverthehellitscalledinthenextsixminutes. At least it is widely available in most retail outlets patronized by humans.

Pledge Whateveritscalledinthestates is difficult enough to find here. I called S.C. Johnson customer service and asked why it seems to be available only at Walmart. I explained that I exceed the 11 tooth maximum for Walmart customers and wondered why it is no longer found in grocery stores, supermarkets, etc. I was given a vague answer that it's up to distributors if they wish to order the product, which prompted me to inquire why I was informed by the folks what run the local supermarkets, grocery stores, etc. that they are unable to order it from their distributors who don't seem to carry it. I also asked why the company deems it necessary to change the product's name every couple months, which leads to consumer confusion. Customer service lady was flummoxed and said that they would look into this and get back to me. That was four months ago. I have a three month limit on holding my breath while waiting for a response.

Re AK Interactive 100ml Gauzy Agent Glass Coat # 893, I've read on more than a few sites that this is essentially repackaged acrylic floor finish, similar to Tenax and Plastruct Plastic Weld being nothing more than repackaged, run-of-the-mill methylene chloride acrylic solvent in smaller, more expensive by volume, containers.

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Quick Shine Floor Finish is a good alternative to Pledge/Future/Whateverthehellitscalledinthenextsixminutes. At least it is widely available in most retail outlets patronized by humans.

Pledge Whateveritscalledinthestates is difficult enough to find here. I called S.C. Johnson customer service and asked why it seems to be available only at Walmart. I explained that I exceed the 11 tooth maximum for Walmart customers and wondered why it is no longer found in grocery stores, supermarkets, etc. I was given a vague answer that it's up to distributors if they wish to order the product, which prompted me to inquire why I was informed by the folks what run the local supermarkets, grocery stores, etc. that they are unable to order it from their distributors who don't seem to carry it. I also asked why the company deems it necessary to change the product's name every couple months, which leads to consumer confusion. Customer service lady was flummoxed and said that they would look into this and get back to me. That was four months ago. I have a three month limit on holding my breath while waiting for a response.

Re AK Interactive 100ml Gauzy Agent Glass Coat # 893, I've read on more than a few sites that this is essentially repackaged acrylic floor finish, similar to Tenax and Plastruct Plastic Weld being nothing more than repackaged, run-of-the-mill methylene chloride acrylic solvent in smaller, more expensive by volume, containers.

SFan, you just won my New Favorite Post of the Day So Far award. :D

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

That may be the case. But speaking as someone who owns a pot of the Mr Gauzy, I can tell you for sure that it's NOT the same stuff as the Lakeland Holloway House Quick Shine that Geoff refers to above, or Humbrol's "Clear", which they claimed was specifically formulated to match Future/Klear when it looked like it was going to disappear in the UK. I know this because I have all three to hand at my bench... The "Glass Coat" has a slightly odd "blue glow" to it when wet that is different from any "milky" floor polish I've ever seen or used. The "shine enhancer" looks more like floor polish, I'd agree, but in my experience "wets" better when brush painted than the Quick Shine... or even an old bottle of Future (I definitely found that an opened bottle of Future "went off" over a couple of years and became much less reliable, so maybe the smaller bottles are no bad thing...)

best,

M.

Peteski

Like water in consistency and very milky in colour. 

Smells like cotton fresh fabric softener and a bit lemony. 

Like you I'm pretty sure the resin acids actually refer to some acrylic substance. 

Thanks Geebee and Matt Bacon for the alternative suggestions too. 

On 11/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, Jamese30 said:

Peteski

Like water in consistency and very milky in colour. 

Smells like cotton fresh fabric softener and a bit lemony. 

Like you I'm pretty sure the resin acids actually refer to some acrylic substance. 

Thanks Geebee and Matt Bacon for the alternative suggestions too. 

Being milky already shows that it is not like "Future", which is clear liquid. But it still might be wort trying (on some test project, not on your "good" model).

If you know someone that cleans supermarkets, airports or similar with the floor polishing machines, ask them for some of the sealer they apply. Its pretty much just pledge/future and will work the same way. Also the stuff will last much longer as it gets diluted a lot. been a while since i used it but i'm sure it diluted at something like 50-1. Theres loads of brands available and most janitorial supplies or building merchants will have at least one of them at around £30 for 10 or more litres  depending on the brand