Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat rod again

ryanm

Hey y’all heard a lot of talk recently about rat rods and their worth so to speak. I’m a big fan of rat rods. Their uniqueness is what sells them for me. The fun part of building models is that uniqueness that comes from each kit. I know there has been a rat rod thread on here but perhaps we should start a new one. If there is any interest let me know thanks. Ryan

Ryan, if we are going to officially start this as a CBP, you might want to either edit the first post and thread title to say so, or start a new thread altogether, and let everyone know exactly what you are looking for in this build off. Any build rules, dates, requirements etc. I've run a few of these, both successfully and unsuccessfully. 

For instance, can I join with my half done Chevy dually or are you looking for new builds only?

Well I would say there are no rules to this build. The same as it’s done in 1:1 rat rods. I’m more so doing this to encourage builders to step out of their comfort zone and see what we can come up with. There are a lot of great builders on this forum and I’d like to see their take on it. 

Alright y’all let’s go with what we got. This should be fun. I have to change my plan though the 29 pickup that was at my local hobby shop was sold before I got there so my new plan is the 50 olds. I think I’ll do it as a body off rebuild meaning chassis and motor and wheels all redone but with a rough body and interior. Lowered too. Thanks yally’all

2F058DA9-2ECC-4070-9172-F25415689725.jpeg

Well here's my pile 'o parts. I've changed my theme a couple of times but I think I'm homing in on where this is going.

The big rear wheels are totally fabricated because I didn't have any to fit those tires, and the front wheels are a patchwork of wheels and caps.

The body is Jimmy Flintstone and a lot of the chassis and misc. parts come from the AMT '23 Model T delivery van kit, and the engine is a Cummins diesel from TTK. I originally bought it for a Dodge truck but the casting was so crude I decided to rework it and put it in this dude.

I've just been picking at it a little at a time but I'll be finishing my Belair project by tomorrow so this will move to the top of the pile.

IMG_20191129_110547781.jpg

On 11/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, ryanm said:

Well here’s my start. I’ve got to layers of my weathering. I’m gonna do one more layer of light grey primer using the white glue method and then do a few washes of black orange and yellow. Thanks y’all 

7AA556C7-AA84-457E-A839-38D46CAD9A6B.jpeg

Awesome weathering!

19 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Looking good Rob, you could make look like new welded  in metal with a little sanded bare metal foil.

True, and I've thought about it, but it's such a small area once the bed is in place and the massive running boards are in place, it will be hardly worth the effort. A little wash and some powders and it will fit right in.