Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Super Bee 440-6 (Pro Touring)

Bills72sj

This is my second 69 Dodge Super Bee build. The first one was built (in silver) to be a slot car body. This one is the mixture of a glue bomb and the left overs from the slot car. . The wheels are custom one-offs built by marrying the 10 spokes from a 77 Monte Carlo snap kit with a set of forked, spoked wheels from an undetermined BMW kit. I wish I had more so I could try different colors. The decals were quite a challenge as the were VERY old and may have gotten damp sometime in the past. I did the usual BMF and lighting details in red and amber. I researched the real car details so I could duplicate them on the grille and tail panels. Overall the finished product came out pretty well.

69 Super Bee teaser.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

69 Super Bee for Muscle Car build.jpg

69 Bee detail paint started.jpg

69 Super Bee LF.JPG

60 Super Bee LR.JPG

69 Super Bee rear.JPG

69 Super Bee RR.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

This is cool. Nice rescue. The paint is great, what is it. The wheels are neat, great idea.Β I have a set of the snap wheels myself. Now you have me seeing if I have anything to go with them.

The paint is automotive touch up paint. It is a Nissan color I believe. The wheels turned out way cool. Like I said, I wish I had more to try other colors.

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Bill, I'm working on one of these and was wondering if you could show how you lowered the front ? Beautiful build, and the wheels are super cool. Thanks

PS, yeah, I know the thread is old..

RRP, I do not mind the resurrection. Regarding the lowering, long ago I decided that stance is a VERY important element of a completed build. Also I nearly always change up the wheel tire combo, as I like the "Day Two" look. So, since wheel (in/out) offset is rarely correct anyway, I often need to modify the wheels or the mounting points. The really good builders on here will go to all the effort to modify the suspension and get the axles and/or hubs into the correct position. I take a lazier approach. I make the mating points with enough surface area to simply glue them in place with as much up, down, left, right offset as I need. Installing the wheels is usually the very last thing I do on my car builds. I then glue only one wheel at a time per day so it takes 4 days to install them. I use Testor red tube glue as it has a pretty strong bond once it cures. None of my cars roll as a result, but then again, they are not play toys anyway.

13 hours ago, TooOld said:

Great looking Super Bee Bill !Β Β Neat idea on the wheels , they look cool !

Thank you Bob. πŸ™‚

12 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Very slick work. I dig it.

Thank you Rob. πŸ™‚

Β 

7 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Beautiful color and nice clean detail under the hood. Loving the wheels on it.

Thank you Gareth. πŸ™‚