Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a build that I've been wanting to do for years. The decals were the hold up, but thanks to Jeff "gotnitro" who steered me in the right direction, I now have decals.

I'm building a replica of the first truck that I ever rode in as a kid. This truck was the spare truck and my dad was a mechanic. A truck, another 7400 broke down in Kentucky (steering box) and they sent my dad with a steering box and the spare truck to Kentucky. The truck had just been re-painted as the company had new ownership. My dad was able to fix the driver's truck in Kentucky and drove the spare truck home where he picked me up and I rode with him (my first big truck ride) to the shop in Lexington, NC. Here's where the story takes a turn. That night, still for unknown reasons, that truck burned to the ground. So it was my first trip and the truck's last.

I'm strickly working from my and my dad's memory along with some 83 Freightliner pictures from the same company.

The cab is from Spaulding Trading and Shipping, The frame is a modified AMT K123 frame, the wheels and tires are from Scenes Unlimited.

Here is the way the Spaulding cab looks originally. The grill looks a little too tall and not wide enough.

IMG_5529.thumb.jpg.5b523007a1d32955ee68d3d8f3a80139.jpg

I modified the cab and grill and I think it looks a little closer though it still isn't perfect.

IMG_5593.thumb.jpg.c3b284210fe6a0523520a3606e90f26e.jpg

This is an 83 Freightliner so that you can see how this one will be painted.

32384795984_afffc4d971_o.thumb.jpg.ddea7ea871f49c6cf1f344d56d1f7980.jpg

Before this project is done, I hope to finish the 7400, build a 40' Great Dane to match and a K100 like my dad drove for a while and I was able to ride all over the east coast with him in that truck.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

1 hour ago, TECHMAN said:

???

Cool project and the back-story is AWESOME!!!!    What kind of engine/trans did the truck have?

DJ

Thanks! The 7400 had an 8v-71 with a 10 speed, the K100 KW that I rode the most with my dad in had an 8v-71T and I think it had a 9 speed. I know that all the Freightliners had 9 speeds, but they had 3406 Cats.

• 1 month later...

Wow your really knocking this truck out ! 

Not to hijack your thread , but reminds me of a build I'm gathering parts for. My step dads IH 9300 , the first rig I've ridden in ! He pulls a Mac dump trailer behind it hauling road salt or corn 

Looking forward to your updates

3 hours ago, landman said:

I meant in real life.

It may be that these trucks just weren't very popular in Canada. Around here they were pretty common in the 70s. They were called Japanese Freightliners because some of the parts (I'm not sure how many) were made in Japan. They were cheaper than the Freightliner from what I've read and that made them appealing to freight companies. The company that my Dad worked for had 3 of these and also an early Road Commander which was just a dressed up version of the 7400.