Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowering A Stock Late Model Mustang Tutorial

mrmike

This tutorial is to show how I lower the front suspension of a Revell late model Ford Mustang.  This tutorial can be adopted to any other Revell kit with a high stock front suspension built out of the box.  The parts that I am using may not be for a Mustang, but they are close for this demonstration.

First I start with the front disc brakes.  I mark the section to be removed so that the brake disc can be mounted higher on the upright.  Use a bunch of business cards under the chassis with the wheel against the suspension of the model to determine the ride height you want.

8Spceos.jpg

I removed the plastic material so that the edge is level with the space molded in the brake disc.  This will allow the brake disc to be mounted flat against the upright

JEojjGl.jpg

This is the brake disc in the stock position.

IbpB7ji.jpg

This is the brake disc higher up on the upright.  You may have to drill a new hole for the wheel pin on the wheels.  Moving the brake disc higher on the upright lowers the front suspension.  Depending upon my mood, I may use the metal pin from the kit or make new ones from a piece of styrene rod.

BoMfXVZ.jpg

Since I don't like my models to roll, I glue the wheels to the suspension to prevent the model from rolling off the shelf.  The rear suspension can be lowered by using lowering blocks between the rear axle and the leaf springs or by rearching the springs or cutting a coil from the coil springs.

7 hours ago, thatz4u said:

on the 2009 & up Mustangs, just cut the coils & get the same benefit....

Easier said than done.  You run into the problem of the rear differential not being lowered enough unless you do some major whacking.  I offer a way to lower the suspension without the major whacking and reconstruction of the suspension.  

9 hours ago, Zen said:

Thanks for the tip! What Mustang are you applying this to? Any ride height pics yet?

This can be applied to any Revell 2006 and up Mustang kit.  The picture below shows my Shelby GT500 lowered and with Pegasus 205/50-16s low profile tires.  I find that the kit tires look like truck tires with their huge sidewalls and chunky tread pattern.

Suspension05.JPG