Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 70 Cyclone restoration

pack rat

This one looked clean enough at first glance, but sometimes when you find an old built-up like this, complete and all there, without a speck of paint on it, it's gonna be a bear to disassemble.  I think about a half a tube of glue was used on this one.

The kit looks OK when assembled, but it wasn't one of MPC's best efforts in terms of accuracy.  The distinctive Cyclone accessory dash gauges are missing, the body scripts/badging aren't accurate, and underhood detail is lacking, not to mention the wrong engine (Boss 429).  

Paint is Tamiya TS-31 (close enough to Competition Orange for me), and the decals are from the Model King Cyclone stocker reissue from a few years ago. The AMT tires are the only non-original parts used.

z1b.JPG

z5.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z2.JPG

z1a.JPG

Yes, too bad they got the engine completely wrong for a street car.   You did a fantastic job a and this will just stoke the flames that this kit needs to be reissued or remade with a CORRECT 429CJ/SCj engine and with the other details you mention.  But, since the subject matter is considered too obscure to spend money new molds when old kits ce be reissued over and over and they will still sell enough to make it worthwhile, sadly we'll likely never see ths one again so if you see a glue bomb buy.  The collectors prices on these are just too high.  Once again, you did a beautiful job on saving it.

4 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Looks like a great rescue of a long neglected model!  I think you did a great job on this Cyclone!  I wish that this kit would be reissued or maybe a new tool from Revell using the Torino chassis. 

2nd that one a new/revised tool.  That's the only kit made that got the engine correct.