Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moluminum Tires and Wheels

I'm using the titled tires and rims for my current build.  Mounting the tires, they seem like they should have something to stick them to the rims.  Most kit tires fit more snug and I don't usually glue them.  It would seem that a flexible glue of some sort would be better than a rigid glue. 

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, KJ790 said:

Make sure your tires are the right ones for the rims. Jamie sells 20 inch and 22 inch rims and tires. 22 inch tires will fit too loosely on 20 inch rims.

Made sure of that when I ordered.  They aren't sloppy loose, just not quite snug enough to stay where they should when being handled.

8 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

Years ago if I had vinyl or rubber tires that didn't want to look seated on the rims, I cut a small piece of paper towel and rolled it up like a cigarette and stuffed it around the inside of the tire to fill it out to my liking.  Just a thought.

Thanks, this gives me some out of the box ideas!

5 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Buy some 3/8" foam window "packing rod" from Home Depot for like $3. Cut to length and stuff it in the tire. It really helps scrawny AMT tires push the tire bead out to the rim lip. One bag/roll will probably do 4-5 semi trucks.

IMG_1137.JPG

Thanks, but the Moluminum tires are solid.

I just picked up these tires and wheels from Jamie ! The rims slide right in with just a slight looseness. Should be fine after assembly,  or may need some adhesive. 

The little fella sitting beside them is a 20 " drive from gary for comparison.  The tires are 12 x 24s  w his 22s 2 inch budd perfect for the big snow mover there going on 

20191124_191111.thumb.jpg.d423e30a1b994f41ba8c8211d70a2b5b.jpg

6 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

I just picked up these tires and wheels from Jamie ! The rims slide right in with just a slight looseness. Should be fine after assembly,  or may need some adhesive. 

The little fella sitting beside them is a 20 " drive from gary for comparison.  The tires are 12 x 24s  w his 22s 2 inch budd perfect for the big snow mover there going on 

20191124_191111.thumb.jpg.d423e30a1b994f41ba8c8211d70a2b5b.jpg

Those are some beefy tires!  It could be the fit would be better after the rims are painted.  I tend to use paints with very small pigments so they don't build like the old Testors rattle cans. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 4:59 AM, Warren D said:

Thanks, I don't need to make up that much room.  I'm thinking of double sided adhesive....

???

I have run into this problem before, and the simple solution (for me) was to take plain old electrical tape & make a lap or two around the rim to "use up" the excess space...…  works for me....

DJ