Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pace Peacekeeper 24-Inch Mini-Plus? Any good?

I'm looking at spray booths.  It's easier for me to get one already built and the Pace Peacekeeper 24-Inch Mini-Plus is a good price.

Is the Pace Peacekeeper 24-Inch Mini-Plus a good spray booth?  Does it keep the odor(s) out when spraying lacquer?

I use a Pace spray booth and like it a lot.  I attached a flexible metal dryer hose to the motor and then connect PVC pipe to the dryer hose.  I then run the PVC pipe outside the bottom of my garage door.  I run the motor for about 15 minutes before I start painting and then for about 20 - 30 minutes after I am through.  There are no residual fumes when I am done.

25 minutes ago, Jim N said:

I use a Pace spray booth and like it a lot.  I attached a flexible metal dryer hose to the motor and then connect PVC pipe to the dryer hose.  I then run the PVC pipe outside the bottom of my garage door.  I run the motor for about 15 minutes before I start painting and then for about 20 - 30 minutes after I am through.  There are no residual fumes when I am done.

Which spray booth do you have?

Edited by crowe-t

11 minutes ago, Jim N said:

I have what would likely be the equivilant 24" Mini Plus.  I bought mine  3 - 4 years ago, and I think they may have changed some of the model names.

Yours doesn't have a light inside and it has the fan mounted on top?

I have the Super Mini Plus model with the light built in and separate fan and light switches. It's a high quality, rugged product for sure. I primarily airbrush Tamiya lacquers and it removes all traces of paint fumes. I 'm more than satisfied with this unit and feel it's worth the money.

Glen Powers

53 minutes ago, Glen Powers said:

I have the Super Mini Plus model with the light built in and separate fan and light switches. It's a high quality, rugged product for sure. I primarily airbrush Tamiya lacquers and it removes all traces of paint fumes. I 'm more than satisfied with this unit and feel it's worth the money.

Glen Powers

Is the fan loud?

I really like my Pace Booth. Don't know the size. Fan is not loud, in my opinion. I would recommend not going with a full length of dryer hose, like shown here. Trim to length needed.
Since this pic was taken, I have moved, and have no place to use. 

MODELS- SPRAY BOOTH- mine [01].jpg

I have a home made spray booth which has it's own shortcomings.

I had been planning on buying one of these for a long time. A buddy o' mine told me I needed the 36" wide unit, which is about double the cost of the 24" unit, so I kept putting off the purchase.  Then one day I decided to measure my current booth, which works just fine for me, and realized it's shy of 24"!  So the smaller unit would be just fine.

My question, how do these work with spray cans?  That's considerably more paint than with an air brush.

Other than the shape and fan location is the only major difference between the 24 inch Super Mini and the 24 Inch Mini Plus the addition of the light?  Do they both perform about the same?

Right now Pace is running a sale and there's a $100 difference in price between the two 24 inch models.

Edited by crowe-t

I've been looking at the 24" mini plus and the 24" super mini also. I would think that they probably both perform about the same (as far as sucking away fumes and overspray) because both use the same 148 cfm fan and 24" x 12" filter. That means the 'face velocity' at the air filter is 1.23 feet per second. The 36" deluxe model has a 265 cfm fan with a smaller 20" x 12" filter. Therefore the face velocity is 2.65 feet per second or about twice that of the 24" units. So the 36" unit should evacuate fumes and overspray much better. However if the ducting you put on the outlet of the fan is too long or has too many bends in it, it puts a resistance on the fan outlet and the airflow (cfm) will decrease resulting in loss of performance. If there is any dust floating around in the space where you paint, the 36" unit will pull it into the booth and past / over your model better than the 24" units. I think I'm going to go with the 24" mini plus but I would also like to know how well it does with rattle cans since that is all I currently use.

12 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Dust is another concern of mine.  

Will the 24 Inch Mini Plus and/or the 24 inch Super Mini help to control dust in the air around where the model is being sprayed.

The only way to minimize dust is to have a clean spray area. Static electricity will contribute to the problem as well. Back in the days when I worked at a dealership with a body shop, the painters would wet the floor of the spray booth to keep the dust down as well as limit who could come into the booth. 

A suggestion I have seen some utilize is to line the spray booth with wax paper or saran wrap to collect the dust and overspray that comes with painting and to change them often to keep the dirt to a minimum.

I too am looking at a spray booth and this topic is timely!

Just my advice...

Use a metal duct hose. Solvents will deteriorate a vinyl hose over time. At the most inopportune time, that hose will come apart and shower your paint area with debris. With the fan still pumping, until you can shut it down, it will have coated your work area and your model in the Booth. Ask me how I know.... 

12 minutes ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Just my advice...

Use a metal duct hose. Solvents will deteriorate a vinyl hose over time. At the most inopportune time, that hose will come apart and shower your paint area with debris. With the fan still pumping, until you can shut it down, it will have coated your work area and your model in the Booth. Ask me how I know.... 

Is this hose in the link OK?

https://vent-works.com/collections/all/products/aluminum-flex-duct

Edited by crowe-t

I spoke with Bob Pace and asked if I could buy the 24 Inch Mini Plus with the 265 CFM fan instead of the 148 CFM fan it comes with.  He said he could do that but it will cost $85 more for that option.

Will the 265 CFM fan make much of a difference over the 148 CFM fan?  Will the 265 CFM pull more of the fumes out or does that have more to do with the length of the vent hose to the outside?  

I'll have the paint booth next to a window so I"ll use about a 1.5 - 2 foot length of 4" Aluminum Flex Duct hose that will be running straight with no bends.

Edited by crowe-t

I ordered the 24 Inch Mini Plus with the 265 CFM fan upgrade.  Bob (Pace) said he just has to make a mount for the 265 CFM fan but it will work nicely.  He said he can't put the 265 CFM fan in the 24 Inch Super Mini, it won't fit, only the 24 Inch Mini Plus since the fan sits on top.  He said the 265 CFM fan runs at 1,725 RPM and is very quite.  The 148 CFM fan runs at 3,160 RPM.

I can't wait to give it a try.

Edited by crowe-t

I have the 36" Deluxe model with internal light, motor and fan with switches for operating all.  I have it set up near a window on a "homemade" bench and vent it out a nearby window with 4" flexible metal duct.  The noise is not a problem, fairly quiet for being used in a small room.  It evacuates fumes very well, I leave it running for about 5 minutes after finishing painting (MCW lacquers) but this may not really be necessary, just a habit with me.  It also evacuates any overspray very efficiently but I wish the filter was larger.  I use the 12"x20"x1" recommended size and find that it requires changing regularly due to paint buildup.  I may be contributing to this due to the way I paint, I like to lay down "wet" coats and am not very good at minimizing overspray, just not that talented.

I am not sure how long I have had this booth, at least 5 years, and it is by far the best investment I have ever made for my model building hobby.  The quality of the build is excellent!  BTW, as a retired engineer I have a 36" wide x 50 yard roll of mylar that I "inherited" when the company I worked for closed and I line the inside of the cabinet with this to capture overspray and I replace this about once a year, keeping the cabinet in like new condition.

Based on my experience with this Peace Keeper cabinet I would strongly recommend any of the cabinets built by (Bob) Pace.

• 2 weeks later...

My Pace 24" Mini Plus arrived this evening.  As I said in a post above I got the 265 CFM fan option.  However the fan that came with it is 273 CFM so I guess that's better or basically the same.

I'll set it up tomorrow and try it out.  I'll post pictures and let you all know what I think.

Edited by crowe-t

Here are pictures of the Pace 24" Mini Plus with the 273 CFM fan.  I have to cut the duct hose but I just wanted to test it out.  So far it's great.  The fan is quiet and takes all the smell out of the room.

IMG_0947 Small.jpg

IMG_0952 Small.jpg

IMG_0956 Small.jpg

IMG_0960 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t