Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Yenko SC Chevelle 427

Bills72sj

This is a restoration of an 1987 reissue 69 Chevelle SS. I have taken some liberties with it, insofar as mixing and matching parts with another reissued kit. The "Stinger" hood is from Drag City Casting http://www.dragcitycasting.com/ And has the scoop opened up via Dremel tool. The 'Yenko' and 'SYC' decals are leftovers from a Keith Marks decal set. The pinstripe is from the newer kit. The rear tires were widened and the Cragar SS rims are from the parts box. The cross ram dual quad manifold is from the parts box as well. The distributor and wires are scratch built. The paint came out so-so mostly because it was a really old can (20+ years) and had lost some of its pressure. Other details include BMF and Sharpie marker treatments. This car reminds me of the first stick shift car I ever drove. A genuine red with black SS stripes SS396 4-speed.

Models 027cb.jpg

Chevelle teaser.jpg

Models 029cb.jpg

Models 030cb.jpg

What you've built here is actually more interesting than a "stock" Yenko 427 Chevelle. 

What I see is a clean '69 Malibu into which someone has swapped a built big-block, then added an aftermarket "stinger" hood, some SS396 emblems and stripes, and some random Yenko decals for good measure. It wasn't uncommon to see mashups like this cruising the streets in the '70s and '80s, and you still see such a creation every now and then. It would fit right in with my imaginary late '70s-early '80s hot rod club called "The Retrobates." Well done and model on! B)

Edited by Snake45

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What you've built here is actually more interesting than a "stock" Yenko 427 Chevelle. 

What I see is a clean '69 Malibu into which someone has swapped a built big-block, then added an aftermarket "stinger" hood, some SS396 emblems and stripes, and some random Yenko decals for good measure. It wasn't uncommon to see mashups like this cruising the streets in the '70s and '80s, and you still see such a creation every now and then. It would fit right in with my imaginary late '70s-early '80s hot rod club called "The Retrobates." Well done and model on! B)

My friends and I would have been members of that club. We graduated in 1979 when most muscle cars were around 10 years old and still cheap to buy and not that hard to work on. Our pack consisted of a 1969 SS 396 4 speed Chevelle, a 1967 Firebird 326 3-speed swapped to a 400 4-speed, a 1969 Mustang Grande with a 351 and a Mach 1 hood, a 72 Plymouth Gold Duster with the leaning tower of power, a 1969 Coronet 440 with a 383, a 70 SS 396 4-speed Chevelle and my 1968 Malibu with a weak 307. My dad used to drag race in the 60's and 70's so I knew enough about cars to be the Guru among my friends.