Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm a fan of trucks but...

There are lew trucks out there that anyone would call pretty, and more than a few that are downright ugly, and that's just fine.  Most trucks are there to work, not win beauty contests.

Personally, I think it looks like a prop from a science fiction movie with a very low budget, but what really bugs me is that pyramid roof line.  If we're talking about a practical vehicle, doesn't that rear slope cut into rear headroom an awful lot?  I have my doubts about trying to park with that  hood, though I imagine modern sensor technology would offset that.

If you just want a wild, impractical shape, that's fine, but maybe hire someone who's good at it?

lancia-stratos-hf-zero.jpg

Come to think of it, a Gandini designed truck sounds pretty cool.

1 minute ago, Richard Bartrop said:

...Personally, I think it looks like a prop from a science fiction movie with a very low budget, but what really bugs me is that pyramid roof line.  If we're talking about a practical vehicle, doesn't that rear slope cut into rear headroom an awful lot?

...If you just want a wild, impractical shape, that's fine, but maybe hire someone who's good at it?

...Come to think of it, a Gandini designed truck sounds pretty cool.

Yup.  :D

Ford sells about 2 F150's a minute, 24/7/365. That's 2500/day, 941,000 pickups/yr. This is not a threat. 

Tesla can barely produce 2500-3000/month of SUV. If it does sell, and certainly fanbois will buy it, oooooh, 40000 trucks. I live in TX where most have trucks. This won't handle being a work truck. Mall crawler, fashion statement yes. But full load 8hr day in 100 degree weather with AC on, ummm, no. 

And check resale on off lease Teslas. Then check resale on an F250-350, which is what most trucks are here. LOL. Good luck Elon, keep sniffing your own flatus. 

+1 on Gandini. 

Edited by DukeE

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

There are lew trucks out there that anyone would call pretty, and more than a few that are downright ugly, and that's just fine.  Most trucks are there to work, not win beauty contests.

Personally, I think it looks like a prop from a science fiction movie with a very low budget, but what really bugs me is that pyramid roof line.  If we're talking about a practical vehicle, doesn't that rear slope cut into rear headroom an awful lot?  I have my doubts about trying to park with that  hood, though I imagine modern sensor technology would offset that.

If you just want a wild, impractical shape, that's fine, but maybe hire someone who's good at it?

lancia-stratos-hf-zero.jpg

Come to think of it, a Gandini designed truck sounds pretty cool.

bertone Lamborghini Genesisimage.jpeg.44d972f30ee1179e6a3e4b68c1167947.jpegImage result for bertone lamborghini genesis

Blade Runner was made in 1982.

Blade Runner was set in 2019.

Blade Runner essentially created the concept of "cyberpunk."

I have to think Elon was thinking about all of this when developing the truck.

Heck, this is a guy who put Spaceballs references in his cars.

I won't be buying one , but more power to him.

336827759_bladerunner.jpg.a55ed6d17cbde23ebe439c80fec9e70f.jpg

First thing I thought of when I saw the Cybertruck were angular concept cars like the Citroen Karin and Aston Martin Bulldog...and vehicles from Blade Runner...it's definitely got a 70s-80s futuristic concept look about it.

As for EVs, I'm looking forward to the Rivian and Mustang Mach E...I could see myself in a Mach E. 

Edited by Rob Hall

14 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Blade Runner was made in 1982.

Blade Runner was set in 2019.

Blade Runner essentially created the concept of "cyberpunk."

And of course we have all those giant video screens everywhere we go.

William Gibson had a big hand in it too,  and the look of Blade Runner owes a lot to French comics,  but it certainly helped to form everyone's image of it.  

All the people responsible for cyberpunk did have one thing in common.  They meant it to be a warning.

I was flabbergasted by the Cybertruck reveal. After so many years of retro-mod re-interpretations of old car designs, I expected their version to be a fairly generic crossover-looking truck with some token "cyber" details, similar to the way the new Ford Mach-E is just a generic crossover wearing the stretched-out pelt of some poor Mustang.

For years I've been grumbling "what about a truck that is utilitarian, bare-bones, functional instead of hewing to current fashion trends?".  And I'm a fan of 1970s sci-fi and industrial design.

Welp...I can't say Tesla's new truck design strikes me as functional, but man, did they ever call my bluff.

The truck looks like a video game LOD model. Like somebody said "hey, I've been learning Google Sketchup over the weekend; I'm getting pretty good, we should fire the design team!" It breaks many of the aesthetic rules for making a good-looking 3D object. The wheel arches are particularly egregious. It looks like a low-budget '70s sci fi  background vehicle made from plywood.

Who knows...it might actually work! I'm picturing the Tesla team as soccer players sprinting towards the open net, hoping to score while everyone else is standing there with their jaws hanging open.

Here are some cars that were probably part of the design DNA of the Cybertruck. And at risk of being a spoilsport, every single one of them is better looking. Lol!!

Centauri_Starcar.jpg?v=1501614916rtjerhwegewgewgwe.jpgewrgqewfqwfqwfqwfqwf.jpg

Landmaster.jpga91ba2tznevt1izhckad.jpgtotal-recall-car.jpg?w=980&q=75

dsc_7127.jpgbrubaker_box_1.jpg

And one more comment, relating to Richard's observation that cyberpunk themes often warned of the consequences of modern technologies....the Cybertruck does NOT look like it's designed for a future (or a present) that we're comfortable with. It looks like it's fortified against an unfriendly world. Timely, maybe...but the world is what we make it!

75141605.jpg9c8d685c-cbeb-11e9-b4e3-f796e392de6b_image_hires_145408.JPG?itok=l9bLk2PL&v=1567320860renault-twingo-i-peugeot-106.jpg?itok=Rk

Chris, I recognize the Landmaster and the Brubaker Box, but the rest are unknown to me. Musk's truck looks unfinished, like most of his stuff frankly. His whole life seems to be like the the SouthPark business plan.

1 Big Idea

2 Something, Something, Something

3 Profit

His only real Talent appears to be getting Government Subsidies, and keeping people from looking too closely and avoiding giving direct answers to any questions. He is Harold Hill "The Music Man" for the 21st century. He is a friendly, likeable Conman, who has never had to own up to the chaos that he thrives on.  I'd have much more respect for him and his business ideas, if he did not take so much as a penny of US Govt Money.

Edited by alexis

On 11/23/2019 at 5:10 PM, Spex84 said:

I was flabbergasted by the Cybertruck reveal. After so many years of retro-mod re-interpretations of old car designs, I expected their version to be a fairly generic crossover-looking truck with some token "cyber" details, similar to the way the new Ford Mach-E is just a generic crossover wearing the stretched-out pelt of some poor Mustang.

For years I've been grumbling "what about a truck that is utilitarian, bare-bones, functional instead of hewing to current fashion trends?".  And I'm a fan of 1970s sci-fi and industrial design.

Welp...I can't say Tesla's new truck design strikes me as functional, but man, did they ever call my bluff.

You aren't wrong.  My personal vision of the 21st century transportation has more tailfins and bubble tops,  but a world where everyone is whisked about in sexy doorstops sounds pretty good too.   It's not your fault that a good idea was ruined by terrible execution.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:10 PM, Spex84 said:

The truck looks like a video game LOD model. Like somebody said "hey, I've been learning Google Sketchup over the weekend; I'm getting pretty good, we should fire the design team!" It breaks many of the aesthetic rules for making a good-looking 3D object. The wheel arches are particularly egregious. It looks like a low-budget '70s sci fi  background vehicle made from plywood.

My favourite bit of game related snark about it is, "Is it done rezzing yet?"

I was reminded of a couple of old concept trucks:

Chevrolet-PPG XT-2

Chevrolet-XT2-Concept-1989-PPG-Pace-Car-

https://ppgpacecars.com/chevrolet-xt2-concept-1989-ppg-pace-car/

GMC Centaur

1988-gmc-centaur-concept.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/307118/gmc-centaur-concept-we-forgot/

Oddly enough, I also see a little latter-day Lamborghini Countach in the angular styling of the Cybertruck...and those seem fairly popular.  (I tend to prefer the earlier version, myself.)

Now, for you old gents complaining the Cybertruck isn't for you, no duh...

"Wall Street analysts said Detroit automakers who dominate the full-size pickup market have little to fear from the Cybertruck, but Tesla may not be aiming for those traditional truck buyers.

“While the design and ‘armored’ features may actually expand the market by drawing in younger drivers who are gaming and sci-fi fans, these are buyers who are not likely to have been in the market for a King Ranch or Ram HD,” Barclays Plc analyst Brian Johnson wrote to investors on Friday."

-You Think the Tesla Cybertruck Looks Stupid? OK, Boomer:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-22/you-think-the-tesla-cybertruck-looks-stupid-ok-boomer

And note the Cybertruck isn't due to be in production for another couple of years or so.  Shouldn't the Big 3 be designing more advanced trucks by now?  It's pretty much the same thing year after year.  :-P

I got to see the Centaur at a car show make years ago.  I still think the front looks unfinished.

Now if GM wanted to make its own electric truck, they could do far worse than to base it on the XT2.

As  for the idea that the target market for the Cybertruck really wants to pretend they're a video game character,  is it really any dumber than any of the other fantasies that Detroit has peddled over the years?  The current crop of pickups seem to be for people who want to pretend they're driving an 18 wheeler, and the Hummer was basically a G. I. Joe toy for adults.    And the cars of the '50s show there's nothing new about people wanting to act out sci fi fantasies.

One of the cars I posted above is the "Brubaker Box", a kit car body designed for a VW chassis. Pretty neat.

Well, it has been pointed out that Brubaker produced other designs, and hey, one of them looks a heck of a lot like the Cybertruck!

burlapcpar-brubaker-truck-tesla-cybertru

I'd be keen to see artist Khyzl Saleem's take on the Cybertruck. His aesthetic is informed by cyberpunk and a variety of car-culture styles, and it's feeding back into car culture in the form of SEMA builds and video game cars inspired by his work. The Tesla truck is so monolithic; it could use some more fragmented areas of detail or color to relieve the severity of the design. The Brubaker concept above achieves this with a black 2-toned front panel.

But then I guess we're getting back into gratuitous styling.

74662510_420813445277553_793106853806555

14 hours ago, drag racer 15 said:

I just want to point out The cyber truck is not street legal It doesn’t have a wing mirrors the LEDs headlights would not be legal and there are no visible crumple zones

LED headlights are commonplace and legal now. 

Camera based rear view mirrors are currently being reviewed by the NHTSA, and I would bet they'll be legal and approved by the time this thing hits the market.

Crumple zones are almost never obvious on vehicles. This truck appears to be no different than a McLaren or even a Lotus Esprit in terms of obvious crush zone. Not to diminish safety, but trucks do not have to meet the same standards as cars do. Most manufacturers will build their trucks to car levels of safety, but it's not a requirement at this time.

As an aside, I don't know what it is with electric vehicle designers and trucks, but have you seen the Bollinger B1? I'll take the Cybertruck over this ugly box.

623124599_bollingerb1-002.jpg.3c196fd1e4c16dc739d2b81ef69838eb.jpg

1288113926_bollingerb1-001.thumb.jpg.15e21378f192e04531f46c143d060449.jpg