Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm a fan of trucks but...

I have a 40 mile one way commute to work with 13 of them on gravel roads. If I can find an reliable, affordable electric truck with 4x4 capability for when it snows, to start cutting into my $200+ monthy gasoline bill, I'll buy one no matter how it looks. I am gonna beat the heck out it though.

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

LED headlights are commonplace and legal now. 

Camera based rear view mirrors are currently being reviewed by the NHTSA, and I would bet they'll be legal and approved by the time this thing hits the market.

Crumple zones are almost never obvious on vehicles. This truck appears to be no different than a McLaren or even a Lotus Esprit in terms of obvious crush zone. Not to diminish safety, but trucks do not have to meet the same standards as cars do. Most manufacturers will build their trucks to car levels of safety, but it's not a requirement at this time.

As an aside, I don't know what it is with electric vehicle designers and trucks, but have you seen the Bollinger B1? I'll take the Cybertruck over this ugly box.

1288113926_bollingerb1-001.thumb.jpg.15e21378f192e04531f46c143d060449.jpg

Hmm . . . that thing above reminds me of

2014-Mercedes-Benz-G63-AMG-front-three-quarters-in-motion.jpg

No way is the Cybertruck, as is, a done deal. It is just a pre production prototype, and (I hope) will get a refinement as development continues. 
Be interesting if Elon keeps piping about "bullet proof windows", after that fiasco of an introduction.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, cowboy rich said:

Its stupid ugly and I'm sure it even hook up to my 5th wheel, which makes it an ugly CAR. And probably wont pull what my 7.3 will

?

And it's not designed to. That's like criticising a Volkswagen Jetta for not performing like a Ferrari.

The Cybertruck is designed to compete against the other half ton trucks available. If it does everything Tesla says it will, then it will be able to do everything a current Ford, GMC/Chev, Ram, Toyota, or Nissan half ton can do. And it will do what the upcoming Rivian R1T can do. And let's get real, most half ton truck owners don't need to tow massive trailers, or carry 2000lb of whatever, or go rock crawling. 

I have a two axle car hauler. I venture out to the lumber yards and hardware stores to pick stuff up, and I head to the dump to drop stuff off. I venture off pavement to go camping or hiking or just to go for a little overlanding adventure. And my half ton does everything I need. With the bonus that it will fit in a parkade, isn't a PITA when driving downtown, and doesn't have the ride quality of a tractor.

I think that for many, a pickup is about being macho, and the Cybertruck doesn't fit that image.  It kind of reminds me of another unconventional pickup, the Honda Ridgeline.  The Cybertruck is not intended to be a contractor's or farmer's work truck.  It's a lifestyle vehicle for young people who are not typical truck shoppers.

People are also missing the fact that we are no longer the 20th century.  It's about time vehicles start looking futuristic.  In time some elements of the Cybertruck may trickle down to the other manufacturers.

I think it's amusing that people are criticizing a product that isn't even available for purchase yet, judging by only by a few small images on a computer (or, worse, on a phone).  I'd like to walk around one up close.

Here in Electric-Car Land the Tesla is considered to be the gold-standard now and Musk is almost a sort of god and his fans will never talk smack about him or the cars. But I do hear a lot about problems when the cars go wrong. Only the Tesla dealer can work on it and they don't have the capacity to repair all the broken cars so the cars are standing around at the dealers for months. They are also having issues with parts deliveries and have to wait out for parts to be made and shipped.
And if this thing is going to compete with Fords F-150, they better ramp up the production line. How many F-series trucks are made each day?  1000 or so? and Tesla makes about 5000 vehicles a month...
Then there is the quality issues, doors than refuse to open, software that goes very "Microsoft" on the owners, motors that burn out, batterypacks that keep on dying, charging systems that refuse to charge and so on and so on.

Musk may be an ecentric billionare but if he is going to get things working in the long run he has to out-compete the big boys. Most of the German manufacturers are putting out their E-SUVs these days, the Audi E-tron is everywhere around here and Porsche and Mercedes are just around the corner. The E-Jag is the best selling Jag in this country since the beginning of time and Ford is pushing big marketing money on its Mustang Mach-E (an Electric Mustang more-door SUV, that must be like selling your sainted mother as a prostitute?)
As a VW fan I have read the history about the company and it was founded as a peoples car, they where supposed to make HUGE amounts of cars every year and the plant was built to have a production capacity of 1 million cars a year (in 1937 that is) and in fact the city of Wolfsburg was built to house the factory workers. A lot of the ideas behind the Volkswagen company structure was based on what Ford did. Today, VW is one of the biggest car makers in the world and Ford still is aswell.
Can he out-compete them in the long run? Only time will tell.
Maybe the Cyber truck is all an elaborate marketing ploy?

Edited by Atmobil

2 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Here in Electric-Car Land the Tesla is considered to be the gold-standard now and Musk is almost a sort of god and his fans will never talk smack about him or the cars. But I do hear a lot about problems when the cars go wrong. Only the Tesla dealer can work on it and they don't have the capacity to repair all the broken cars so the cars are standing around at the dealers for months. They are also having issues with parts deliveries and have to wait out for parts to be made and shipped.
And if this thing is going to compete with Fords F-150, they better ramp up the production line. How many F-series trucks are made each day?  1000 or so? and Tesla makes about 5000 vehicles a month...
Then there is the quality issues, doors than refuse to open, software that goes very "Microsoft" on the owners, motors that burn out, batterypacks that keep on dying, charging systems that refuse to charge and so on and so on.

Musk may be an ecentric billionare but if he is going to get things working in the long run he has to out-compete the big boys. Most of the German manufacturers are putting out their E-SUVs these days, the Audi E-tron is everywhere around here and Porsche and Mercedes are just around the corner. The E-Jag is the best selling Jag in this country since the beginning of time and Ford is pushing big marketing money on its Mustang Mach-E (an Electric Mustang more-door SUV, that must be like selling your sainted mother as a prostitute?)
As a VW fan I have read the history about the company and it was founded as a peoples car, they where supposed to make HUGE amounts of cars every year and the plant was built to have a production capacity of 1 million cars a year (in 1937 that is) and in fact the city of Wolfsburg was built to house the factory workers. A lot of the ideas behind the Volkswagen company structure was based on what Ford did. Today, VW is one of the biggest car makers in the world and Ford still is aswell.
Can he out-compete them in the long run? Only time will tell.
Maybe the Cyber truck is all an elaborate marketing ploy?

What will be interesting is what happens in 2021. Both the Ford F150 and the Chev Silverado 1500 will have full electric versions. i suspect most truck buyers that would consider electric will go that direction.

I can't see quality being any worse than the Ford. Ford have had so many recalls over the past few years. I've had three Fords in the last 10 years, and each had a minimum of two warranty trips. Will NEVER own another.

i don't think the Tesla is being done to be a true competitor to the Ford or Chev though. much like their cars, I think it's going to be a somewhat exclusive, higher end, lower volume vehicle.

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

i don't think the Tesla is being done to be a true competitor to the Ford or Chev though. much like their cars, I think it's going to be a somewhat exclusive, higher end, lower volume vehicle.

Yeah, sort of like Apple vs. PC, or more contemporary like Apple vs. Samsung.  Apples are coveted by the "elites", while other brands are for the "unwashed masses".