Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tesla Cyber truck

misterNNL

Just saw this on my Hot Rod Magazine news letter and am  wondering what the modeling community thinks of it. I think some of us could probably build a model of in about 15 minutes with some flat card stock, give it a quick coat of stainless steel rattle can paint and call it done.

The public unveiling was on the news this morning and somebody in his engineering dept is going to be looking for a new job after the supposedly shatter proof side glass did in fact shatter when it was hit with a rock thrown by the Tesla rep on stage. Reportedly Mr.Musk said a few things not suitable for TV or these forums. Maybe the options will include a swivel roof mount for a 50 cal:).

It kinda goes like this...  when radical designs have been introduced throughout history, you get the reactions we see here.  We like what we know, and don't have a "future eye" because it's new and foreign to us.

It's happened many times. Cars we think of as old and boring now.  The new Taurus wasn't an instant success. It was too radical. It took six months to a year for the public to get used to the look.  Ford was careful after that and when they completely redesigned the pickup, they sold both the old and new side by side for at least six months.  When Dodge first came out with that radical Ram style truck that looked like a mini Peterbilt, they anticipated how it would be received. It was different. Their focus groups showed that 90% of new truck buyers would reject the design. That was okay because they aimed to capture 10% of the market, which was aligned with their production capabilities.  And of course there was a lot of comments when they released it.  Funny thing though, they were sold out!  Couldn't make them fast enough and at year's end they had sold double what they anticipated.

Tesla has made it's mark by coming out with radical ideas. This is the latest one.  And they are right to display it two years ahead of release. It will give us all time to digest the design.  And there are people right now ready to write checks.  And it will influence truck design in the future!  Be ready!

I think what throws off the design for me is the "pointed" roofline. Flatten that out a bit to make it less radical and that to my eyes would improve the design IMMENSELY!

Flat body panel cars are not really new...........go back to the mid '60's when carmakers got rid of fins and broad shouldered designs and a lot of those body panels were pretty much flat. The difference was there's chrome trim to dress things up a bit while this truck to me just looks flat out plain. Yes, it IS a truck, but I suspect that the production version will be toned down a touch.

And yes Tom..........designs can take a while to fully digest. Remember the howls and screams when BMW started putting on that "bustle back" design on their cars?? Well wouldn't you know it-----a few model years down the road others started copying it in one form or another.

So at times designs like this are needed to "shake things up" just a bit. I'm just hoping the actual vehicle looks just a bit better IMO.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It kinda goes like this...  when radical designs have been introduced throughout history, you get the reactions we see here.  We like what we know, and don't have a "future eye" because it's new and foreign to us...

There is, however, this concept called "form and line" that is quite important to some of the more artistically inclined among us. While the Lamborghini Countach didn't look like anything that had preceded it, it was still well proportioned and looked the part of a supercar.

But in the world today, where we're incessantly told there's no such thing as objective beauty, that we must find hugely fat as attractive as slender and athletic, and where much art has degenerated to the aesthetic equivalent of excrement slathered on a wall, it's no particular surprise to see something that is apparently trying to be shocking rather than beautiful.

What I am surprised by is that, after having his designers do such a masterful job of styling on the big Tesla, Mr. Musk signed off on this amateurish visual mess.

image.png.a167816548a39b6069f387c3f5011470.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 hours ago, misterNNL said:

The public unveiling was on the news this morning and somebody in his engineering dept is going to be looking for a new job after the supposedly shatter proof side glass did in fact shatter when it was hit with a rock thrown by the Tesla rep on stage. Reportedly Mr.Musk said a few things not suitable for TV or these forums. Maybe the options will include a swivel roof mount for a 50 cal:).

That was Franz von Holzhausen that broke the window. He is Musk's chief of design.

39 minutes ago, DonW said:

Would Harry have questioned the lack of mirrors?

Mirrors? MIRRORS? You mean actual reflected light? Good dog man...how positively primordial. Only a card-carrying Luddite could want actual glass mirrors.

Why use a simple reflected image when you can use a mess of tiny cameras, a computer image analyzer coupled to a radar proximity detector, a voice annunciator that tells you something's in what would be your field of vision, a voice-commandable interface that allows you to tell the computer to display a particular image, a transmitter that sends the selected camera image to an LCD screen, or better yet, a projected image on your head-up windshield display? All KINDS of useless complication and crapp to go wrong. Everyone who's not a dammed boomer knows that more complexity is BETTER.

This is 2019 man. GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

No. Don't see much "pick up truck"  there, looks more like a low budget sci-fi movie prop. Maybe it's just an engineering exercise? If they had a "tradititional" looking pick up with the same load/tow capabilities as a gas rig, might be more receptive to the "traditional" buyers, not just the trendy buyers.

Don

BTW, who the heck needs armoured glass on a pickup!!?? No pick up owner/driver i know...

11 hours ago, dmthamade said:

No. Don't see much "pick up truck"  there, looks more like a low budget sci-fi movie prop. Maybe it's just an engineering exercise? If they had a "tradititional" looking pick up with the same load/tow capabilities as a gas rig, might be more receptive to the "traditional" buyers, not just the trendy buyers.

Don

BTW, who the heck needs armoured glass on a pickup!!?? No pick up owner/driver i know...

That might depend on what neighborhood you live in or drive through on your way to work. Or maybe it's intended to be marketed to SWAT teams:)

20 hours ago, DonW said:

Would Harry have questioned the lack of mirrors?

19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Mirrors? MIRRORS? You mean actual reflected light? Good dog man...how positively primordial. Only a card-carrying Luddite could want actual glass mirrors.

Why use a simple reflected image when you can use a mess of tiny cameras, a computer image analyzer coupled to a radar proximity detector, a voice annunciator that tells you something's in what would be your field of vision, a voice-commandable interface that allows you to tell the computer to display a particular image, a transmitter that sends the selected camera image to an LCD screen, or better yet, a projected image on your head-up windshield display? All KINDS of useless complication and crapp to go wrong. Everyone who's not a dammed boomer knows that more complexity is BETTER.

This is 2019 man. GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Who needs mirrors on a self driving truck?   ?

:lol:

20 hours ago, James2 said:

Do you not believe a man like Musk isn't just testing the waters? Following all the buzz about this vehicle?

Soon you'll see something stylish and sellable...

That's my hope, although I'm begining to think he's starting to go a little "Howard Hughes" now..........kinda waiting for him to "catch something" and burn somebody's posessions on his lawn to get rid of what ever he caught was at this point.

4 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I had a tree fall on my Jeep Cherokee while camping once. 

I wholly support the idea of strong glass!

Well, FSJ and XJ A-Pillars are kinda spindly compared to modern pillars;)