Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Mustang Coupe

Plowboy

With my '63 Fairlane and '60 Falcon down to the boring stuff left to do, I started on this. While I'm not a fan of Mustang coupes, I have warmed up to them a bit. I've had this planned for years. So, when it came time to actually do it, I already had my plan in mind.  

It's obviously the AMT '66 and '67 Mustangs bashed together. The '66 donated the A pillars/vent glass, roof and trunk. The '67 will be supplying the rest except for the engine and transmission. I'm only about four or five hours into it. So, it's still in the rough in stage. I'm pretty happy with how everything joined back together. I did have to add some styrene bits here and there. The biggest pain was adding the pieces around the backlight. Also, I had to lose the door handles and locks temporarily to get the transition between the door and quarter panel right. I may or may not put them back. I want something different for the hood. I thought about the hood with the recesses. But, not sure. Anyone know if the F&F Mustang actually came with that hood? I've seen them built. But, they all had the flat hood.

49105734193_766e842072_b.jpg

49106236976_f39afee761_b.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a great start.  On my list is to do a T/A version but it's a really long list.  Norm from R&M of MD did some nice dress up stuff for the AMT 67 fastback if you and anyone is interested.  He did a grille, taillight panel and the side vents.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, Plowboy said:

With my '63 Fairlane and '60 Falcon down to the boring stuff left to do, I started on this. While I'm not a fan of Mustang coupes, I have warmed up to them a bit. I've had this planned for years. So, when it came time to actually do it, I already had my plan in mind.  

It's obviously the AMT '66 and '67 Mustangs bashed together. The '66 donated the A pillars/vent glass, roof and trunk. The '67 will be supplying the rest except for the engine and transmission. I'm only about four or five hours into it. So, it's still in the rough in stage. I'm pretty happy with how everything joined back together. I did have to add some styrene bits here and there. The biggest pain was adding the pieces around the backlight. Also, I had to lose the door handles and locks temporarily to get the transition between the door and quarter panel right. I may or may not put them back. I want something different for the hood. I thought about the hood with the recesses. But, not sure. Anyone know if the F&F Mustang actually came with that hood? I've seen them built. But, they all had the flat hood.

49105734193_766e842072_b.jpg

49106236976_f39afee761_b.jpg

Roger, your build is exquisite. The AMT Fast and Furious version of the 67 Mustang does have the hood with the indentations. Its the only version I know of with that hood. The Model Car Garage also has an excellent photoetch set for the kit.  The Replicas and Miniatures Co. Of MD 67 Mustang upgrade set is pretty comprehensive. I have a GT Fastback under construction which got the hood, ribbed rear panel, and the rocker panel mouldings from this kit.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:51 AM, vamach1 said:

Looks like a great start.  On my list is to do a T/A version but it's a really long list.  Norm from R&M of MD did some nice dress up stuff for the AMT 67 fastback if you and anyone is interested.  He did a grille, taillight panel and the side vents.

Thanx for the info! But, I rarely use resin and I won't buy anything I can't see first. 

18 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Roger, your build is exquisite. The AMT Fast and Furious version of the 67 Mustang does have the hood with the indentations. Its the only version I know of with that hood. 

Thanx Ron! I may snag one for the hood and engine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 10:15 PM, Superbird McMonte said:

Have you seen Bill Geary’s work in progress? He’s doing the Shelby Green Hornet. It might give you some good ideas too. He posts it here from time to time.

Yeah, I saw his project. He and I are going in two different directions though.

As I was looking this project over, I saw I was doing the same old thing as I've done with other street type builds. Plus, I wasn't looking forward to all the work ahead of me with the rear seat and interior quarters. Time for something different! I'm going to do this one as a serious, barely street legal car. I've never done one in this particular style. So, it'll be something kinda new to me. With the interior a non issue, I could now do whatever I wanted. It'll now get a race seat, roll cage and custom dash. I started with modifying the chassis. All that's left of the rear section of the original frame are the frame rails and a cross member. I moved the frame rails inboard to make room for the wider rear slicks from a Revell Willys. Then, I made new tubs, trunk pan and a raised center section with .020 styrene. 

49214869713_b2b4d1c985_b.jpg

Up front, I cut away everything but the spring/shock towers. I'll make bars from .080 rod and tie the front frame rails to the towers and firewall. Don't know if I'll use the kit suspension or switch to struts. I'll now have all the room I need for the engine and headers. Or at least I think I will.

49215586597_8895202a87_b.jpg 

New mockup! It won't be quite this low. But, I don't want it to be much higher. Next task is to get the suspension worked out so I know exactly where it'll be.

49214875298_58635757de_b.jpg

• Like 1

Loving the new direction of this, Roger.  Got a real mean dragster flair to it.

Also, as far as the RMCoM Mustang upgrade set Ron and Rex are talking about goes, I asked Norm about it a few years ago, and he said the molds were shot, and he can't offer it any more.  If someone wants it, their best bet is to scour Ebay or hope one pops up at a swap meet.

Thanx guys! With the new plan, I'll won't be able to use a stock hood. I'll just modify the one I have. I almost have the suspension worked out. Just a few more tweaks and I should be able to stick it together. I need to figure out what engine I'm going to use. I'm thinking maybe a Boss 429 or a 460. Kinda thinking about using a modern engine also. 

The Mustang is now resting on it's own suspension! It sets a little higher than I really wanted. But, it's acceptable. It is a street car. So, some concessions have to be made.

I went with struts up front which required some reworking of the kit setup. Mostly moving the strut towers out and raising the kit suspension to meet the struts. I'll probably use a rack and pinion for steering instead of the stock piece. The rearend and four links are from an Olds Pro Stock. I gotta get an engine picked out soon or I'm going to be at a standstill. Next will be getting the roll cage made. I'm going to go with a fairly simple setup.

49229543637_267ae71c3b_b.jpg

49229539737_b071cc7f2b_b.jpg

49229536437_2e7f9d42a2_b.jpg

49228843508_015d40f48f_b.jpg

49229530822_9afd8abd63_b.jpg

• Like 1