Model Cars Magazine Forum

Actors and Models

So, when you don't count direct TV/movie tie-ins, that leaves the Travolta Fever Firebird, Farrah's Foxy Vette, the Paul Newman 280ZX, the KISS van, and the TV Tommy Ivo dragster. Frankly, the Michael J. Pollard '36 Ford is the most tenuous connection of the bunch - there are no '36 Fords in the B&C movie since they bit the dust in 1934, and I haven't ever seen any evidence of Pollard having owned such a car.

Tommy Ivo didn't have that memorable an acting career, but it paid for the cars. Which, I guess, keeps him from being too embarrassed about running around in a loincloth in a studio forest in that Bomba the Jungle Boy movie... :lol:

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Finally, something that actually answers the question asked! Well played! B)

Obviously you must have missed my post because mine is also one of the very few that also answers the question asked that has the ACTORS name on the box art as well. 

37 minutes ago, highway said:

Obviously you must have missed my post because mine is also one of the very few that also answers the question asked that has the ACTORS name on the box art as well. 

Didn't miss it. There were a couple, but you gotta admit there were damfew of us who were playing by the rules. B)

On 11/23/2019 at 12:52 PM, jokar124 said:

Mike Connors was mentioned on the side of the MPC Mannix roadster kit

Rod Taylor and Dennis Cole were mentioned on the front of the MPC Bearcats! Stutz kit

Dug into my stash and pulled out the ol’ MPC “Bearcat”. The *actors* are clearly named on the box. Just for amusement, note that the box top photo shows the car in its original right hand drive configuration. The model box side panel shows a left hand drive? The actual car used for filming the TV show (1971) was built by George Barris, and had a drivetrain composed of modern Ford components.

29EA6577-0D76-43A5-92E4-EF6BFB6D28BC.jpeg

74A6CC3F-B95F-41D2-88C6-ED49EF327FEE.jpeg

Edited by ToyLvr
Text update

12 minutes ago, ToyLvr said:

Dug into my stash and pulled out the ol’ MPC “Bearcat”. The *actors* are clearly named on the box. Just for amusement, note that the box top photo shows the car in its original right hand drive configuration. The model box side panel shows a left hand drive? The actual car used for filming the TV show (1971) was built by George Barris, and had a drivetrain composed of modern Ford components.

29EA6577-0D76-43A5-92E4-EF6BFB6D28BC.jpeg

74A6CC3F-B95F-41D2-88C6-ED49EF327FEE.jpeg

Well done! B)

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Didn't miss it. There were a couple, but you gotta admit there were damfew of us who were playing by the rules. B)

Yes there are, because while there are plenty of kits that have a character tie in on the box, it seems very few have an actor tie in on them. I even found it odd in my example that the original issue only had the picture but the reissue 12 years after the show went off the air had the names of not only the characters but the actors as who played them as well on the box when I would have thought that would have been included on the original's box art when the show was on the air. The only way I even knew of the show "Movin On" when I had that reissue when I was young was because of photos of my older brother in an actual show truck as it toured the country while the show was airing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Revell-Hardy-Boys-1-25-Scale-Model-Van-GREAT-COLLECTIBLE-ITEM/254406310017

it is a tvshow tie-ine but the actors are mentioned on the box. Did they drive a van like that it the show?
I have never seen that but I have read some of the books and I don't think they ever had a van but they did have a sports car of some sort at one point. Interesting series of books aswell, I think there is a 110 of them in total and the two boys are always 17 and 18 years old and have always just started their summervacation and just happen to fall in to some scumbags with evil plans. They must have they same genes as the Simpsons as they never age but they do move forward in time. In the oldest books they do with "older tech" than in the newer ones.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Atmobil said:

I just found this on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Revell-Hardy-Boys-1-25-Scale-Model-Van-GREAT-COLLECTIBLE-ITEM/254406310017

it is a tvshow tie-ine but the actors are mentioned on the box. Did they drive a van like that it the show?
I have never seen that but I have read some of the books and I don't think they ever had a van but they did have a sports car of some sort at one point. Interesting series of books aswell, I think there is a 110 of them in total and the two boys are always 17 and 18 years old and have always just started their summervacation and just happen to fall in to some scumbags with evil plans. They must have they same genes as the Simpsons as they never age but they do move forward in time. In the oldest books they do with "older tech" than in the newer ones.

s-l1600.jpg

Kind of  ,,, similar. 

the actual van used on the show ,,,

Image result for hardy boys van

Related image

Related image

Related image

The kit itself was just another generic Revell custom Chevy van with a different decal sheet.

18 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

Hmm...That is a GMC aswell. Looks like the AMT kit is a better kit to replicate the Hardy Boys van but I guess Revell must have scored a deal on TV-show merchandise at that time.

yea, they did a lot of TV show stuff. 

I understand that the Revell kit did actually have the GMC markings on the body.  I don't know if it's true or if it might have just been on the decals, I never had that version of the kit.

• 2 weeks later...