Model Cars Magazine Forum

For the import fans

9 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

I've wondered why wheels are usually photographed at an angle. Reflection? Glare? Trying to prevent copying of a design? Something else?

Probably a combination of the angle of the wheel in relation to camera and it helps show off shape of the wheel design..The teddy bear wheels are a good example of that since it does indicate there is a 3d effect to them, but that would be the same for steelies and poverty caps, or the ornate caps from the mid 50's through the end of the muscle car era.

52 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Even though I'm into Tuners (to a degree), some of those are weird.  What happened to the spinner wheels, and the ones with LEDs that create a design while you drive?

I think spinners are still out there, only to a lesser degree, as well as floating wheels (center stays stationary while rolling down the road).......I think the LED wheels are dead, where they belong....

• 1 month later...

Ronal teddy bear wheels came out in 1978 iirc. Ronal is German company, so everything tested by TuV, quite roadworthy. Ronal made FWD offset mesh wheels before BBS really did. 

The xylophone wheels and the china plate wheels are much newer. Likely aimed at JDM market. Duh. I do think the xylophone wheels (colorwheel) are kinda neat. 

Evil teddy

Image result for ronal bear rimsImage result for ronal bear rims475141.jpgImage result for ronal bear rims

These are Borbet A 5 spokers that someone painted a roulette wheel on the rim, and the ball is the valve stem cap. Wood spokes painted, better if black. Porsche has normal 1-pc blacked out wheels. Baller needs the 3-pc roulette wheels.

475139.jpgImage result for borbet a classic

These are OEM Mazda wheels off a Mazda 121 Koala from '94.

Post image

Michelin Mr. Bibendum wheels.

Image result for ronal bear rims

Let the hatin' hate ?