Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Dart GSS 440

johnwitzke

In 1968 Mr. Norm had 48 or 50 (depending on what source you read) Dodge Darts produced with the 440 magnum engine.  Unlike the 1969 440 Darts which could be ordered from the factory, all 1968 440 cars were sold through Grand Spaulding Dodge. This is such a cool model, I am building this one along side my Chargers.  I am going to share a step by step build of this model replicating the look of a factory produced car, not a overly restored car.  I have started with the chassis, I filled the front frame rails, removed all copyright wording.  I used Tamyia grey primer on the chassis.  In order to get the correct look of the factory primer I used Model Master Semi Gloss.  This gave the primer the right amount of shine.  Once that sets up, a misting of body color will be applied.  The rear axle and front K member will be detailed to factory correct finishes.  The 440 engine was assembled and all seams removed.  I primed and painted with Model Master metalizer.  Once set up I will buff the transmission to metal like appearance and lightly mist the engine block with Mopar turquoise engine paint.  This process will replicate the factory paint process which shows how blocks were poorly painted.  

20191124_115249_resized.jpg

20191124_120231_resized.jpg

20191124_120519_resized.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

I admire your attention to authentic detail. I'm definitely gonna follow you on this! When I was in high school, my dad had the only cool car he ever owned; a 1968 Dodge Dart GT. It had the 273 and automatic transmission. Not a real 'muscle car' but still cool compared to what I drove to school ; Mom's hand-me-down '63 Dodge station wagon. Every now and then, Dad would let me take the Dart out for a date. Of course, the wagon with the seats folded down was more popular with my friends for double dates to the drive in.

Edited by Shambles

The Hamtramck / Detroit plant (where these big block Darts were assembled) had *spotty* Q.C.  ; chassis / undercarriage overspray varied , as did primer colour (though grey was predominate --- Los Angeles used a black primer) .

I wish to advise that the exhaust manifolds were also in-place when the engines were painted ; you may want to install those prior to painting the engine (which , yes , were Engine Turquoise for 1968 ) .

The transmission oil pan would be steel (bare) .

Keep up the great work ! 

You may also want to verify the trans length, as that appears to be a B-body length 727.

Also, tape the floorboard piece in place, as the underside/exterior side of the driveshaft tunnel should be pained at the same time as the surrounding areas.

I have built EVERY dart kit Revell has given us.   And propbably will continue.  I had a 71 which has different nose and tail, but still, a DART in 1/25 has my attention.    Mine were built before so much reference was available, so mine all had red engines.  I'll be watching as well.  

10 hours ago, Casey said:

You may also want to verify the trans length, as that appears to be a B-body length 727.

Also, tape the floorboard piece in place, as the underside/exterior side of the driveshaft tunnel should be pained at the same time as the surrounding areas.

I am using the engine transmission from the kit.  I have already primed and cleared the floor board as well as the underside of the chrome console plate. 

1 minute ago, randyc said:

I have built EVERY dart kit Revell has given us.   And propbably will continue.  I had a 71 which has different nose and tail, but still, a DART in 1/25 has my attention.    Mine were built before so much reference was available, so mine all had red engines.  I'll be watching as well.  

I also have the Landy car as well as the Hemi car.  Those are future projects.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, randyc said:

I used to own a '73 Valiant Scamp.... same car!