Model Cars Magazine Forum

There are a couple there I've not seen before, and I'm not familiar with the LS brand of kits at all. Anyone know anything about them? I'm also interested to know more about the Nakamura Mk IV kits. They are motorised, so presumably have the commensurate lack of chassis & engine detail, but how is the kit in terms of body proportion and detail, and are the tires/wheels decent? Any info would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, afx said:

The LS kit is a very early GT40.  Not shown in the photo however but it does include nice white metal wheels and turned aluminum rims

DSCN1306.JPG

The front end of the LS kit has always bothered me as the headlamp buckets are too long.

If you go to resin bodies there are a lot of options.

DSCN0010.JPG.9690d72bd0c7f553e7298e5c6fb188c9.JPG

Creative Miniature Associates are developing a very highly detailed multi medium kit of the GT 40.

Cost wise it will be an arm and a leg  but promises to be the very best kit of this car as Marshall Buck of CMA does not compromise on quality ever

This promises to be the ultimate GT40 kit for highly experienced modellers looking for not only a highly accurate model but a good investment as well.

11 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Creative Miniature Associates are developing a very highly detailed multi medium kit of the GT 40.

Cost wise it will be an arm and a leg  but promises to be the very best kit of this car as Marshall Buck of CMA does not compromise on quality ever

This promises to be the ultimate GT40 kit for highly experienced modellers looking for not only a highly accurate model but a good investment as well.

$1,700!!  Arm and a leg indeed.

https://www.cmamodels.com/kits-gt40.php

I have an AMT box for a GT40 (with nothing inside) from the late 60s.   AMT-232.  I believe it was a rebox of the IMC tool. 

Kinda looks like the Ken Miles '66 Daytona winner on the box art.

Vintage-1968-AMT-Model-Kit-FORD-GT40-MARK.jpg

I also have 1/2 dozen of so variations of the Fujimi kit incl. one of the Revell reboxes, a Testors rebox of the IMC from the '70s, a built IMC, and a couple of the MPC Mark IVs--the '60s original and the early 80s reissue. 

Edited by Rob Hall

There are a few more obscure ones and many resin ones (Renaissance and Lemans Miniatures) that are curbside.  I build the Thunder and CMA resin kits a while ago.  I used to build a lot of 1/43 as there are so many variations it's nearly impossible to build each car from every race.  There's some diecast and 1/87 stuff in these pictures but this only scratches the surface of the 1/24 and 1/25 build and unbuilt kits also in the collection.  I am looking forward to the 1/12 MENG kit and I wish someone would make a reasonably priced and accurate MarkII and MarkIV plastic kit with an engine and maybe even opening doors.

IMG_6246.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6314.JPG

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Have any of the "domestic" manufacturers done any?

If I may ask, why does it have to be a "domestic" manufacture? 

If it does have to be a domestic manufacture to please you though, the only ones I am aware of are the old IMC GT40 kits that have been done in every variation from MK I through MK IV but can be a little pricey. The MK I and MK II variants I have in my collection were both between $40 and $60 a piece when I bought them, but also to my knowledge the only 1/24th/1/25th scale examples you will find with complete engines in them. If I do remember correctly without digging them out of the stash, I believe at least the MK II and possibly even the MK I even come with 289 and 427 engine options, but without digging them out to check them, do not quote me on that. 

A much easier and cheaper alternative though is the Fujimi kits that have also been reboxed as Revell kits. While these don't have full engine detail but are still very nice kits, I've picked a couple of these up in a Facebook live auction model group I help admin for as low as $15.  

49 minutes ago, highway said:

If I may ask, why does it have to be a "domestic" manufacture? 

If it does have to be a domestic manufacture to please you though, the only ones I am aware of are the old IMC GT40 kits that have been done in every variation from MK I through MK IV but can be a little pricey. The MK I and MK II variants I have in my collection were both between $40 and $60 a piece when I bought them, but also to my knowledge the only 1/24th/1/25th scale examples you will find with complete engines in them. If I do remember correctly without digging them out of the stash, I believe at least the MK II and possibly even the MK I even come with 289 and 427 engine options, but without digging them out to check them, do not quote me on that. 

A much easier and cheaper alternative though is the Fujimi kits that have also been reboxed as Revell kits. While these don't have full engine detail but are still very nice kits, I've picked a couple of these up in a Facebook live auction model group I help admin for as low as $15.  

Doesn't have to be. Just asking.

Always full of sarcasm aren't you. It's not a crime to ask a simple question.  Isn't that the point of a forum? Ask questions? You do this every time someone asks something. Thanks to those that offered help. I wasn't aware side many kits had been done. Any idea which kits are currently available?

Edited by Classicgas

Well I've learned things in this thread that weren't covered in the earlier ones. 

But anyway....

I've got the Revell reissue of the Aurora kit of the original GT40, which of course is the prototype or very early version with the pointy front end. I don't like the pointy front end. What would be the easiest way to get the more common front end on there? Could this be done with sheet styrene, or is there some inexpensive alternative? 

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've got the Revell reissue of the Aurora kit of the original GT40, which of course is the prototype or very early version with the pointy front end. I don't like the pointy front end. What would be the easiest way to get the more common front end on there? Could this be done with sheet styrene, or is there some inexpensive alternative? 

Honestly, I'm not sure the effort is worth it given the wide availability of the various Fujimi kits.  The Aurora kit body is a pretty good basis for the early 1965 races (Daytona, Sebring) so I've got a Fred Cady sheet for those.  After that the variations abound.

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Always full of sarcasm aren't you. It's not a crime to ask a simple question.  Isn't that the point of a forum? Ask questions? You do this every time someone asks something. Thanks to those that offered help. I wasn't aware side many kits had been done. Any idea which kits are currently available?

If an answer to a simple question was what you truly wanted, you would have taken 30 seconds, used the Google search and the search term "Ford GT40", and gotten all the same hits, this answering your question.  It's okay to have a question, search for an answer and find it, and not post anything. While this is a discussion forum, that doesn't mean you have to say something if you truly don't have something to say.

Better yet, why not do the research yourself, and spend the time compiling a list of all the GT40 kits which have been made, and post it here on the forum for future reference?

20 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Honestly, I'm not sure the effort is worth it given the wide availability of the various Fujimi kits.  The Aurora kit body is a pretty good basis for the early 1965 races (Daytona, Sebring) so I've got a Fred Cady sheet for those.  After that the variations abound.

Thanks. So the thing did actually run as-kitted by Aurora? 

57 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks. So the thing did actually run as-kitted by Aurora? 

Yes, at least very close to it.  The car was constantly being developed especially in the early years to solve aerodynamic issues.

Image result for ford gt40 Le mans 1964Related imageImage result for ford gt40 1965Image result for aurora ford gt40 model kit

Edited by afx