Model Cars Magazine Forum

A.C. Moore Out Of Business!

Tom Geiger

That's some sad news, but the article is correct in saying that the digital world is killing the brick and mortar stores. There's not much you can't get online and that's the reality in today's world. There's an AC Moore not far from me and they were my go to place for stuff like chrome bead wire, and poster board which comes in very handy as background for pics.

Guess I better get on over there and see what I can pick up before they're gone for good!

That is a real shame.  I guess people are just getting too lazy to get off their duffs and go to a store; just let them bring it to my door while I sit here turning into a vegetable.  Although their selection of models was usually slim and outdated, they did offer a 10% military discount over their 40% coupons, so a $29 model would be $15.66 + tax.  With the closing of all the good model stores and LHS, guess I will have to quit buying and start building some of the 200+ kits I have been hoarding.

Yea I have to admit,Hobby Lobby is a great store.Two of them just opened in my area.One is about a 1/4 mile away from a Michaels, basically it’s across the parking lot of a large shopping plaza.I have a feeling that Michaels might call it quits too.Maybe not right away, but I think eventually it will happen.And I had a feeling that AC Moore was going to close down..IMO, both stores can’t compete with HL.AC Moore, stores suck compared to HL and Michaels...Oh well, another store chain shuts its doors.RIP,AC Moore.

AC Moore did have some decent stuff outside of model kits (which were expensive compared to Michael's and HL) but lately there has been nothing that would make people go out of their way to go there instead of those other places.  They did cut back by a couple of stores around here when HL set up shop.  As a smaller chain, they probably haven't got the purchasing muscle that the other chains have.

My town has HL, Michael's, and ACM. ACM has only two things going for it: It's the closest to me (by 10 miles or so) and so the one I run to when I need many types of generic modeling/crafts supplies and tools. The other is that they have by far the largest selection of craft acrylic paints, including "enamels." Several times I've had to match an oddball paint when trying to "rescue" a builtup glue bomb, and been able to find something darn close at AC Moore. I'll miss them, at least a little. 

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

That is a real shame.  I guess people are just getting too lazy to get off their duffs and go to a store; just let them bring it to my door while I sit here turning into a vegetable.  Although their selection of models was usually slim and outdated, they did offer a 10% military discount over their 40% coupons, so a $29 model would be $15.66 + tax.  With the closing of all the good model stores and LHS, guess I will have to quit buying and start building some of the 200+ kits I have been hoarding.

Maybe lazy has something to do with it........but dealing with the morons that seem to be the majority of the public today have a bigger impact. 

Being permanently disabled and at times limited to my wheelchair the idiots I deal with are mind blowing. Once I was at a big box national chain and needed to visit the restroom. The restroom was empty other than someone in the handicap stall.....so I waited. After about 15 minutes this guy, without any visible issues, newspaper under arm. When he sees me sitting there in my wheelchair he gives me a 'sorryyyyyyyy'.  Lots of jerks out there. 

Moore shutting has more to do with not competing with JoAnn and Hobby Lobby......my wife shops them all....Moore is not even up to JoAnn for selection......even less than HL. It's hard staying relevant and competitive. 

6 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I have a feeling that Michaels might call it quits too.Maybe not right away, but I think eventually it will happen.And I had a feeling that AC Moore was going to close down..IMO, both stores can’t compete with HL.AC Moore, stores suck compared to HL and Michaels...Oh well, another store chain shuts its doors.RIP,AC Moore.

Yea, I have a feeling that Michaels is circling the drain.  I read a while back that they had been purchased by some investment company that was bent on reducing costs.  That involved less inventory so there were a lot of empty shelves.  Someone said that their cost cutting got so bad that the fork lifts in the distribution center weren't running because they refused to buy new batteries!   

I have a Michaels and Hobby Lobby in competing shopping centers you could walk between.  I stopped going to MIchaels because they cut back on models and they had the spray paint under lock and key.  You have to find a person to unlock the case, then they bring the can up to the register!  Like I'm gonna steal it!  

There is an AC Moore a few miles away, but nothing there worth the drive.

Edited by Tom Geiger

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I stopped going to MIchaels because they cut back on models and they had the spray paint under lock and key.  You have to find a person to unlock the case, then they bring the can up to the register!  Like I'm gonna steal it!  

I can kinda understand locking up paint and glue. One thing I can't stand is a paint rack where just about every can has been "sampled" on the other cans, or the rack, itself!

The AC Moore in Bowie has been going out of business for a while. In the early stages, I was pleased to see their models were 40% off, so I took a look. All their run of the mill AMT/Revell stuff was marked at $44. Yes, $44. That would have brought them down to about regular market price. No, thanks - I'll pass on that.

15 minutes ago, SSNJim said:

The AC Moore in Bowie has been going out of business for a while. In the early stages, I was pleased to see their models were 40% off, so I took a look. All their run of the mill AMT/Revell stuff was marked at $44. Yes, $44. That would have brought them down to about regular market price. No, thanks - I'll pass on that.

I haven't been back since I saw those prices a couple months ago. 

On 11/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Yea I have to admit,Hobby Lobby is a great store.Two of them just opened in my area.One is about a 1/4 mile away from a Michaels, basically it’s across the parking lot of a large shopping plaza.I have a feeling that Michaels might call it quits too.Maybe not right away, but I think eventually it will happen.And I had a feeling that AC Moore was going to close down..IMO, both stores can’t compete with HL.AC Moore, stores suck compared to HL and Michaels...Oh well, another store chain shuts its doors.RIP,AC Moore.

After Hobby Lobby came here Michaels cut way back on a lot of their crafting items as well as their model selection which is now almost non existent.

The last time I was in an AC Moore here locally (a few months ago), one of the employees there had such a bad/nasty attitude towards the customers and other staff that I was real close to telling her she needed to go back home and start over. ?

That issue there is what can turn people off from brick and mortar stores........surly employees with an attitude that they really don't want to be there. You don't get that from ordering online. Easy-Peasy with just picking what you want, paying with your credit/debit card, and it showing up to your door.

ESPECIALLY this time of the year leading up to Christmas!

Edited by MrObsessive

55 minutes ago, slusher said:

It’s a different time. So many just want to shop at home now then go and shop hands on like many of us do...

Ya...a friend posted this on FB... so true...  I'm so used to ordering so much online....it's hard to beat the convenience of ordering anytime from my phone, tablet or computer and having product come to me than having to go out and deal with crowds and people in stores, esp. this time of year.  

78734645_2811418122211052_6902487296256245760_n.jpg

14 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Ya...a friend posted this on FB... so true...  I'm so used to ordering so much online....it's hard to beat the convenience of ordering anytime from my phone, tablet or computer and having product come to me than having to go out and deal with crowds and people in stores, esp. this time of year.  

78734645_2811418122211052_6902487296256245760_n.jpg

If you know what you want shopping at home and not dealing with flu and sick people is this way to go...

I'm far from being a "people person" but still prefer to do my shopping in person, and see what I'm getting.  One guy I work with buys clothes online, I can't see it.  A couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of winter boots.  I wear a size 9-1/2 shoe, went to the store, grabbed the box marked 9-1/2, tried the boots on, they fit just fine.  I then looked for the size as marked on the boots themselves, and they were actually size 11.  Had I ordered 9-1/2 online, I'd have had to send them back and wait another week to get something that fit.

Not all that long ago the post office was talking about stopping Saturday mail delivery to save money.  Now I'm seeing their trucks here on Sundays delivering on-line orders.   Both of my daughters buy much of everything on-line.  At either of their places those unmarked trucks are dropping off packages all day long.