Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Rodder Magazine Cover Car/Modeler's Corner Project Car

tim boyd

Tim Boyd’s 1939 Chevy Sedan Delivery Street Rodder Magazine Cover Car   

·         How-to series featured in multiple issues of Street Rodder magazine’s “Modeler’s Corner” monthly column, circa 1980/81  

·         Combined main parts from Monogram’s 1939 Chevy Sedan Delivery and Five Window Coupe kits,

·         Body chopped 5 scale inches, doors opened and hinged, cargo compartment door hinged

·         Fully detailed and wired Chevy 427 Rat Motor, Chrysler torsion bar front suspension, Corvette Independent Rear Suspension

·         Metalflake brand automotive lacquer pearl yellow with builder-designed graphics in multiple shades of candy colors

·         Fully upholstered interior with late model Instrument panel and real wood cargo compartment floor

DSC 0013

DSC 1010

DSC 0002

DSC 0005

DSC 1012

DSC 0006

DSC 0014

16 more images at this link.  Thanks for looking...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I remember the how - to articles on this awesome model very clearly, Tim.  It was just as I was getting back into model building after the seemingly compulsory break to get a real car, look for girls, go to university etc.  It is a beautiful time capsule of modelling techniques and styles of the time and yet it would be perfectly comfortable sitting on any NNL table today.  

Lots of goodness to view here - the cleanly detailed dash with realistic texture, the precise red and blue fittings (I'm guessing clear paint but wow, talk about neat!) the sharp separation between the black firewall and the gold body, not to mention the effort involved in opening and hinging the very fragile chopped doors, and, thank goodness, you didn't stick those awful chromed louvres on the front fenders - definitely a case of less is more right there!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks everyone for taking a look and for your comments.  Kinda cool to hear that a few of you remember the model from its magazine appearances nearly...yikes...40 years ago!

Hope all you U.S. based folks had a happy thanksgiving with your families and best wishes to all.  

TIM 

6 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

What kit are Enkei gold centered wheels from?

I believe I took those from one of the reissues of the Monogram Tom Daniel 1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery circa 1980 or so...my memory says "Bad Actor" (not located where I can double check right now).  Hope that helps, Bill....TIM