Model Cars Magazine Forum

Floor Mats, Etc.....

Here's a little trick that some might find useful.

I picked this technique up somewhere, I just don't remember from whom.

I decided that I wanted to replicate the drivers side "floor protector" mat on my current project after sanding of the interior tub floor was necessary after removing pedal detail and pin marks.

A mold was made of the mat from another kit with mold putty. (in this case the AMT '62 Catalina kit)

Then a relatively thick coat of acrylic craft paint, in your color of choice, was flowed into the mold.

After drying, the mat can be carefully peeled from the mold and trimmed creating a very thin and flexible mat to be installed after flocking.

This technique can be used for many other applications including floor mats and seat and door panel upholstery.

Thank you to whomever I stole this technique from originally! :D

image.thumb.jpeg.b03c85b4c6dcc5641361beb83c6b3273.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a714dd79577309782c735ae286d3a1c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.362cb9e4419d51c1ac5c88182ec9c191.jpeg

Steve

• 6 months later...

Steve Boute (I'm pretty sure I've misspelled his name) uses this technique to make tuck and roll upholstery.  As a "positive" for the mold, he uses half round Plastruct rod.  He makes it in large sheets then cuts out the various shapes for the panels he's upholstering.

29 minutes ago, Shardik said:

Steve Boute (I'm pretty sure I've misspelled his name) uses this technique to make tuck and roll upholstery.  As a "positive" for the mold, he uses half round Plastruct rod.  He makes it in large sheets then cuts out the various shapes for the panels he's upholstering.

Could very well be the individual that I picked it up from.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...