Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 ton Crane......DONE!

Here is my Galion 12 1/2 ton rough terrain crane.  Took just about five months to do, which for me is a world record. Everything works as the real one, outriggers, doors, steering both regular and crab, boom up and crowd and swing.  Had one casualty right at the very end when the winch spool simply decided to seize up so that will be a trip to the repair shop in the near future. This has been by far, the most challenging mind wracking build I have ever attempted, and I want to thank all who helped me overcome obstacles along the way! I hope you all enjoyed the build. Please forgive the photography skills, or lack thereof. One thing I am not is a photographer/lighting pro!

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

11 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

That is one awesome build start to finish! Excellent work! If I were to even attempt such a project it definitely wouldn't have all working features like this one. Impressive work making everything work.

Well, to be honest, I never intended to make everything work. It just kind of developed along the way, as I said why not?  It really was a challenge to myself to see what I could do, and I am probably happier with the results than any of my other builds.  Now on to the next............!

Congrats on a fine build, I am glad I got stuck in fire apparatus, construction equipment would have been my next hurdle, thank God for the AMT D8 cat to put a stop to that. Always wanted to do a Gradall XL4100  excavator.

Converted%20Gradall.jpg?itok=lIk-5Hws

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
too big of entry

12 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Congrats on a fine build, I am glad I got stuck in fire apparatus, construction equipment would have been my next hurdle, thank God for the AMT D8 cat to put a stop to that. Always wanted to do a Gradall XL4100  excavator.

That is something we seldom see around our area, but they are common just 15 miles away in New York. Shouldn't be too hard, truck chassis, triangular boom, just different shapes than a fire truck!  

Edited by redneckrigger

Had an off day for the crane crew.....so they brought it back to the shop to fix the winch. Had to remove the counterweight to access the winch. The end of the shaft had a hole in it where I pushed a larger shaft into it to turn the winch by friction. Bad idea. So, I glued a screw into the end of the shaft to turn with a screwdriver so now the crowd function works as designed....... could not crowd out if the winch would not turn. All is well! 

Edited by redneckrigger

On 11/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

A fine piece of work, Tom.  Congrats!  Seeing it through is sometimes a difficult thing.  A bit like climbing a mountain.  Hardest getting to the top and then it's more like a coast on the way back down.  When you do the Gradall don't forget that the bucket on the end swivels as well as curls!?

Thanks Charlie! For everything, especially the advice on the windows and gaskets. That was the one part of the build that caused me the most trepidation. I simply couldn't figure it out, but your method, modified a bit to avoid cutting out the gasket while glued to the cab because the cab is SO fragile, worked PERFECTLY!

And, you're right about getting it done. The punch list helps me finish, but it was a hard climb through the last parts of the build, as it seemed it would never get done, and then POOF.....done.  Now it's kind of.....what do I do now??!! And now that Gradall has been planted in my head with everything else cluttered up there. Just gotta figure which one to pull out first! Time will tell!

Edited by redneckrigger