Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 ton Crane......DONE!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 10:10 PM, Sam I Am said:

Tom, 

All I did was watch this thing go together, never posted. Watching you turn a pile of raw material into this work of art was simply amazing. I wish I could think like you just a little bit.

?

Thank you! It's not so much a way of thinking, as I see it, but more just deciding that there is nothing you can't do, or at least try. I have watched so many incredibly talented people here on the forum, and drawn inspiration from them, and decided that, this is something I wanted to try, so, I went for it. What's the worst that could happen? Failure? If so, you learn from that too. But, when I reached a roadblock, there was always someone out there to lend a helping piece of advice.............THAT is what made this build come together. I had always built just trucks, some with resin cabs, some kitbashed, but all very heavily based on kits. Then I tried a singe axle vintage lowboy 70% from scratch. It worked. Then a Galion roller, and then a removable gooseneck lowboy, and then a resin cabbed scratch built rollback truck. Now, I have found myself with very little desire to build a boxed kit. Give it a try......expand your horizons......it is only limited by your imagination!

Edited by redneckrigger

This is an awesome build. I was wondering where you got your wheels?  I have a project I want to do that requires planetary hubs like these. If you scratch built them what size tube/scale diameter are they? I have no idea how big they are in real life to build my own. Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, DZ7581 said:

This is an awesome build. I was wondering where you got your wheels?  I have a project I want to do that requires planetary hubs like these. If you scratch built them what size tube/scale diameter are they? I have no idea how big they are in real life to build my own. Thanks

The tires are from the John Deere 310 backhoe kit. The wheels are from resin caster Mark Savage from many years ago. 

On 12/25/2019 at 5:26 PM, redneckrigger said:

Thank you! It's not so much a way of thinking, as I see it, but more just deciding that there is nothing you can't do, or at least try. I have watched so many incredibly talented people here on the forum, and drawn inspiration from them, and decided that, this is something I wanted to try, so, I went for it. What's the worst that could happen? Failure? If so, you learn from that too. But, when I reached a roadblock, there was always someone out there to lend a helping piece of advice.............THAT is what made this build come together. I had always built just trucks, some with resin cabs, some kitbashed, but all very heavily based on kits. Then I tried a singe axle vintage lowboy 70% from scratch. It worked. Then a Galion roller, and then a removable gooseneck lowboy, and then a resin cabbed scratch built rollback truck. Now, I have found myself with very little desire to build a boxed kit. Give it a try......expand your horizons......it is only limited by your imagination!

So true. Success and failure go hand in hand. If you worry too much about failing you can never succeed. But as you said it helps to be able to draw from the pool of vast knowledge on this board.

Wow impressive work. Another amazing piece of artwork.

• 3 years later...