Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Dodge Challenger 440-6 (one of none)

Bills72sj

This started as a Lindberg 1972 Challenger kit. The overall lines of the car are not too bad but, unfortunately it has some cartoonish qualities which needed to be addressed. To start with, the molded in side scallops are of the wrong size and finger count to work with factory graphics. So...I had to sand them off since they could not be reworked. Second the imitation shaker hood and scoop were all wrong. In its place I sourced a 440-6 pack scoop from a Dodge 440. It covered the hole just right. The engine is a 440-6 pack from my parts box. The front grille needed some filing to get to fit properly and some BMF to look close to correct. The interior turned out alright in contrasting black and white. Overall the hood gave me the most trouble. Starting with an annoying warp, I progressively made things worse before they got as good as it is. Four repaints and replacement of the whole rear edge is what it took. I tried some textured paint to dress up the tail panel but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. One thing I did get right were the wheels and tires. I also NAILED the stance. I love the color as I was shooting for Mopar B5 blue metallic.

72 Challenger LF.jpg

72 Challenger RR.jpg

72 Challenger Engine A.jpg

72 Challenger LR.jpg