Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first diorama - garage

iamsuperdan

Of course it's a garage. It's what we all do! 

lolz

I know what I'm doing for the interior and exterior walls.

I have a couple of things I'm going to try for doors and windows.

And I've been amassing pieces for the interior.

However...

What do you guys to do simulate a concrete shop floor?

Something easy is always good, but i'm more concerned with the finished product.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Currently working on some ideas for the walls. I would prefer to go with styrene sheets to simulate brick on the front of the building, and cinder block for everywhere else. But that styrene sheet is kind of pricey around here, so I'm experimenting with photoshop and various photo papers. Will give this a try, and if it turns out well, then I'm happy and have saved money. And if it doesn't, then I can still go buy some styrene and cover up whatever mess I've made!

I've been amassing a healthy selection of shop tools and decor, and have people. Will be the first time I've ever tried painting figures, so this should be interesting. Actually, this entire project will be full of firsts for me.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my shop is coming along nicely.

Figured out a plan for the walls and floors.

Cinder block construction, with brick facades on the outside walls. The main office has a nice reclaimed barn wood feature wall. Flooring is your standard concrete shop floor. No fancy floor coatings for this shop.

Window and front door are both in place now, with frames cleaned up and painted black.

Will be "installing" the overhead door over the next day or so, and the rear shop exit will be going in soon as well.

20191219_145308.thumb.jpg.c82672190a710ad02f7b0b04ca2fc5da.jpg

20191219_145312.thumb.jpg.4214e751613f1487e2e9ffa3f50a0331.jpg

20191219_145256.thumb.jpg.c1ac2aa8bd379e7220000570be980759.jpg

20191219_145319.thumb.jpg.f457f1e9186562dc992a46353ce61d6f.jpg

Some of the furnishings and shop equipment are starting to arrive. Including one mysterious wooden crate. I think I'll just put that ion the back of the shop for now.

20191220_133152.thumb.jpg.c6aa8cf0718ab6abbe4ac7f836076d67.jpg

The crate? Some intense looking guy wearing a dusty fedora dropped it off. Told me some bad people might come looking for it. The other crate that was dropped off scares me. It made some weird noises. WIll get pics of that one when I get my nerve back.

In the meantime, the door guy came by, got the overhead installed. It goes up and down, so I'm happy. still needs to install the windows though.

20191223_143020.jpg.0821ad5aa1f45ac54079889c8e00018b.jpg

He got a start on the back exit, but didn't get everything finished today. Assuming he'll be back tomorrow. I know it's Christmas Eve and all, but he seems pretty good.

20191223_135818.jpg.95e86169d3cbfa2b77a2b55cc2dfac51.jpg

While work is going on, I'm still trying to narrow down a snappy name for my shop. Lots of room for a sign above the front door.

How about just

SUPERDAN'S
SPEED SHOP

:D

And I know that this is your first diorama, but to nitpick a little, the openings in the walls (windows, doors) should have steel angles (I don't know what those are called) to support the row of cinder blocks above the opening. And there would not be partial blocks like the door above.  Like I said, I'm nitpicking, but if realism counts, that makes a difference. Still, your efforts so far look pretty darn good.  Did you end up using paper sheet for bricks?

Yeah, with some of the styrene I'm using for the door frames, you get the illusion of steel supports. I noticed the "trimmed" cinder blocks as I was doing it, but wasn't overly concerned. Once I get more stuff in the shop, it won't be that noticeable.

The brick and cinder block styrene sheets are expensive. Maybe once I get good at this diorama thing I'll use those, but for now, with my first one, I wanted something inexpensive so that if/when I mess it up, I won't feel too bad about it. 

I found some high res images of bricks, concrete flooring, and cinder block. And then using Paintshop, I made some larger images of brick walls, cinder block walls, and concrete floors. Then a trip to Staples and $10 CDN later, I had my walls and floors. They used a thicker paper (not cardstock) with a semi-gloss finish. I think it turned out pretty good. Ended up getting six sheets of ea, 8.5X11, so I ended up with some leftovers. Can utilize those for building number 2 in the future.

That's nice work, Dan. Looks like you're pretty good with Photoshop. I had a small ad agency and was in the branding business for decades. When you decide on a name, I'd enjoy running a couple of logo ideas by you. I'm retired now, but still keep the full Adobe CC suite, iStock, etc. I loving doing this stuff and never take "no thanks" personally.

John

http://www.shamblesmodels.com

Edited by Shambles

22 hours ago, Shambles said:

That's nice work, Dan. Looks like you're pretty good with Photoshop. I had a small ad agency and was in the branding business for decades. When you decide on a name, I'd enjoy running a couple of logo ideas by you. I'm retired now, but still keep the full Adobe CC suite, iStock, etc. I loving doing this stuff and never take "no thanks" personally.

John

http://www.shamblesmodels.com

Thanks for that! I'll PM you a couple of ideas I have. :)

20 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Are you going for a public service garage or a private workshop? My next project shall be a garage diorama. I will be following yours.

I'm thinking public garage. I created a front office area with room for a counter, and the front door definitely has more of a commercial vibe that a private shop would have. The counter is upcoming on the list of scratchbuilding.

22 hours ago, peteski said:

The bricks look very realistic (at least in the photos).  Couldn't tell that the were just a flat printout.

Thanks. I'm much happier with the brick than I am with the cinder block. Will be looking for a different cinder block template for the next one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Making slow but steady progress. 

Finishing up the hoist.

20200123_204550.jpg.52d595922d764f1712440f09cfa4141a.jpg

And of much bigger news and importance, got the shop signs done!

Huge thanks to our man John (Shambles) and his skills at graphic design. A little back and forth messaging, and boom, he had this cracked out. Not something i could have laid out or accomplished myself. So thank you!

20200123_210921.jpg.aa2ea84affd138107b5b33d03da9caf7.jpg

20200123_211035.jpg.5a2c249c398fb26dbabbb4df0e086024.jpg

Also got a sign hung on the back door. Still needs the door trim of course.

20200123_211053.thumb.jpg.193ecc805f2299add26560216d79a82d.jpg