Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modern Cars

Testors/ Lindberg did a Gen 1 (2006-2010) Dodge Charger kit that was truly excellent. It was priced a little higher than competing products at the time. I'm not sure of the actual sales for those kits, but my impression was that they weren't exactly hopping off of the shelves. Now there seems to be some slight demand for them, although I haven't really been looking lately. 

First, a standard Charger R/T and a Daytona were offered...then the tool was revised into an SRT 8 Super Bee...then a REALLY nice Police version (complete with accurate multiple wheel & lightbar options, and police gear for the interior). Round 2 could always elect to run a few more of these, but I get the impression that the first runs for these took awhile to sell through.  

I do think we should get a full detail kit of the new Hellcat Challengers, if only to rob of their powertrains. Revell has a good start there with their SRT 8 Challenger. Multiple versions could be offered which could make it worthwhile for a kit manufacturer: Hellcat Demon, Widebody, Scat Pack, etc.

Given the popularity of these cars in 1:1, I'm a little surprised that nobody has done a Hellcat in plastic, but then again, while the Revell Challeger SRT 8's, AMT R/T's and SRT 8's and Revell 2013 SRT's seem to be widely available, they also do not seem to hop off the shelves.      

it's simple. It's about the costs.

Mainly licensing fees and creating the new tooling. 

For a shrinking and limited market, it's a touch business decision. 

I have to think that Round2 or someone has looked seriously into a Challenger Hellcat though. I think that would be a no-brainer.

Still, not a cheap venture.

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Testors/ Lindberg did a Gen 1 (2006-2010) Dodge Charger kit that was truly excellent. It was priced a little higher than competing products at the time. I'm not sure of the actual sales for those kits, but my impression was that they weren't exactly hopping off of the shelves. Now there seems to be some slight demand for them, although I haven't really been looking lately. 

First, a standard Charger R/T and a Daytona were offered...then the tool was revised into an SRT 8 Super Bee...then a REALLY nice Police version (complete with accurate multiple wheel & lightbar options, and police gear for the interior). Round 2 could always elect to run a few more of these, but I get the impression that the first runs for these took awhile to sell through.  

Those were nice kits, but unfortunately, that is the past generation from over a decade ago... and the Revell Challenger kits are way out of date also.    It is unfortunate, I'd love to see more new subjects kitted...the 'all old, all the time' approach of the US kit companies works for them but gets pretty boring after a while for those of us that also like modern subjects. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Yea!  I really want a Nissan Juke kit!  ?  "Modern cars" for the title, why didn't you put CHARGER and HELLCAT CHALLENGER in your title?  There is a "pet peeve" topic, maybe I should add people who have super vague and useless titles for topics that a search won't work on.  In the future, if someone wanted to search for this subject, your title won't help at all.

For old farts like me, we have a stash of what was "modern" at the time we bought them, and now some are rare and collectible because it costs to continue producing them.  For example the '72 Chevy pickup, run-of-the-mill pickup, now look at eBay prices.  Add lawyer overhead, and license fees.

I'd love to do a late model Charger, but no one does one in plastic. They're available in diecast, but I want to convert it to a 2-door, which will be much more difficult in diecast, especially since it has opening front doors (which would have to be lengthened). Sigh. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Those were nice kits, but unfortunately, that is the past generation from over a decade ago... and the Revell Challenger kits are way out of date also.    It is unfortunate, I'd love to see more new subjects kitted...the 'all old, all the time' approach of the US kit companies works for them but gets pretty boring after a while for those of us that also like modern subjects. 

Agree with all of the above!

And- the argument has been made in the past when this comes up that without newer subject matter (meaning: more modern, or representing a decent selection of currently available cars in 1:1),  the potential to engage newer modelers is reduced. The occasional Corvette or Mustang just won't do it.

As recently as the early 2000s (which admittedly now is quite a while ago) Revell and AMT both had some modern cars, I want to say  Revell had a Cadillac Escalade, a then current model chevy Pickup,  and a honda Civic, and Acura Integra. Then AMT had Ford Explorers,  and an S-10/S-15 blazer among others.  I wonder how these kits did? Then you also might run into the issue that If you tool a new car, after the excitement of the initial release when the car is still new,  it may be quite a while before there is enough interest in the subject to make another run feasible.   So, an evergreen subject like a 60s muscle car could be viewed as a better investment. It is a gamble. A challenger Hellcat may well be an instant classic, like the Grand National was in the 80s but who knows? 

However, it seems to work for Aoshima, They seem to make kits of all kinds of everyday modern cars. I have no how the model car market in Japan works but it would appear as though they are a successful company so they found something which works.

Edited by kurth

1 hour ago, kurth said:

A challenger Hellcat may well be an instant classic, like the Grand National was in the 80s but who knows? 

Funny you mention the Grand National. I remember when that car was out, there was no model of it for some time while the 1:1 car was being built. For awhile it was really one of those "why don't they do a model of one?" cars, much like the Hellcat is today. IIRC, Revell-Monogram came out with their GN kit about a year or so after 1:1 GN production stopped.  

Then again, it only took Revell about 25 years to do a Mustang LX 5.0, which was the "Saturday Night Special" (i.e.- cheap, effective and plentiful!) of American performance cars back then...

I might just start a new topic: "we need a Hellcat!!!" 

Even just for the engine.

If Round 2 were to do it (they are capable of doing new tooling after all), this would be a great opportunity.

They could develop a full detail kit, and also, spin the engine tool off as a separate product- a parts pack, that would come with a 1/25 replica of a Demon Crate, as well as a replica crate for a "Hellephant" engine. I'll bet they would sell tons of those parts packs, for all of us crazies who want to put a Hellcat/ Hellephant engine into something different. I know I would buy a few!!!  

I have said it here first: a Hellcat Demon plastic kit with provisions for the single seat option, the extra tires & wheels, and actual scale Demon Crate would be Boss. 

Also, it must be mentioned: a full detail 2015-2020 Challenger tool could have so many variants: Scat Pack, SRT, R/T, Demon, Widebody, Drag Pack. Multiple hood options, wheels, custom parts. 

Go to Carlisle or the Mopar Nats some time, it's evident that these cars are quickly taking over as the "it" car at car shows. You probably have almost as many new Challengers and Chargers at a given show now than you do vintage muscle cars these days.      

Edited by CapSat 6

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Yea!  I really want a Nissan Juke kit!  ?  "Modern cars" for the title, why didn't you put CHARGER and HELLCAT CHALLENGER in your title?  There is a "pet peeve" topic, maybe I should add people who have super vague and useless titles for topics that a search won't work on.  In the future, if someone wanted to search for this subject, your title won't help at all.

For old farts like me, we have a stash of what was "modern" at the time we bought them, and now some are rare and collectible because it costs to continue producing them.  For example the '72 Chevy pickup, run-of-the-mill pickup, now look at eBay prices.  Add lawyer overhead, and license fees.

LOL.....easy, Bud

16 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Before he went on hiatus, Clearly Scale had a Hellcat engine resin kit, and a Hellcat conversion kit for the Revell '09 Challenger. I should have bought an engine or two.

Just now, iamsuperdan said:

Before he went on hiatus, Clearly Scale had a Hellcat engine resin kit, and a Hellcat conversion kit for the Revell '09 Challenger. I should have bought an engine or two. 

And they are very nice...I got a couple of the engines and the conversion kit.  

There are plenty of exciting cars being built today.  The Charger and Challenger are just two of them.   All those plain vanilla car kits back in the day had more to do with the marketing strategies of the Big 3 than the demands of the kit market.    That the kit market is geared towards people who are mad that it's not the 20th century anymore probably doesn't help either.

10 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That the kit market is geared towards people who are mad that it's not the 20th century anymore probably doesn't help either.

I have to agree with that, and I slightly resemble that remark. :)

16 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

And they are very nice...I got a couple of the engines and the conversion kit.  

I definitely missed out on these as well. First and foremost, I wish Mr. Clearly Scale (not joking, his name escapes me right now) the best of health, as I understand his health problems were/are  serious. 

13 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

There are plenty of exciting cars being built today.  The Charger and Challenger are just two of them.  

Many exciting cars, true- and many Plain Janes of today will actually give the average muscle car a run for the money now (sad, or maybe not- but true)!

But, the Hellcats are Top Dogs in today's Performance World. They are truly Kit-worthy.  

8 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Many exciting cars, true- and many Plain Janes of today will actually give the average muscle car a run for the money now (sad, or maybe not- but true)!

But, the Hellcats are Top Dogs in today's Performance World. They are truly Kit-worthy.   

Other performance subjects that would be great in kit form are the current Mustang GT, Shelby GT350 and GT500, and of course the new Corvette C8.  Cadillac V-series models, or modern pickups and SUVs would be great also... I'd love some current Jeeps in kit form...Wrangler, Gladiator, Grand Cherokee (esp. the Hellcat-equipped Trackhawk)..

On 12/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, CapSat 6 said:

If Round 2 were to do it (they are capable of doing new tooling after all), this would be a great opportunity.

They could develop a full detail kit, and also, spin the engine tool off as a separate product- a parts pack, that would come with a 1/25 replica of a Demon Crate, as well as a replica crate for a "Hellephant" engine. I'll bet they would sell tons of those parts packs, for all of us crazies who want to put a Hellcat/ Hellephant engine into something different. I know I would buy a few!!!  

I have said it here first: a Hellcat Demon plastic kit with provisions for the single seat option, the extra tires & wheels, and actual scale Demon Crate would be Boss. 

Also, it must be mentioned: a full detail 2015-2020 Challenger tool could have so many variants: Scat Pack, SRT, R/T, Demon, Widebody, Drag Pack. Multiple hood options, wheels, custom parts. 

Go to Carlisle or the Mopar Nats some time, it's evident that these cars are quickly taking over as the "it" car at car shows. You probably have almost as many new Challengers and Chargers at a given show now than you do vintage muscle cars these days.      

Absolutely agree with you here! I’m a HUGE Mopar fan & would buy every variant a kit company would come out with! I know many, many more modellers/Mopar enthusiasts who would too! The 1:1 guys with real cars would also love to have replicas made of their 1:1s. 

As for diecast.... Auto Art are coming out with the Hellcat Widebody/RT etc very soon.... but not exactly cheap/costing 3-4x your average kit. 

Also on the Hellcat motor... there’s a guy on Instagram, JPS, who’s working on the HC motor & it looks BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH good.... price though isn’t cheap... probably the same cost of your average whole kit!