Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 VW beetle (Vols content)

LL3 Model Worx

So my wife got to pick a kit for me to build her, so naturally she picked a beetle, and naturally she wanted it all "Big oranged out".. 

I'm not into football at all, and my wife is a football nut, go figger... 

So here's the little beetle, took less than a week so that was cool, time is hard to come by. This is the Revell kit, I'm not sure if its entirely accurate, but it is a very well made kit, good detail and great fit. The only thing kinda vague is the rear firewall assembly, other than that, fun kit to build. Want another one for rat rod.

20191130_011119.thumb.jpg.746ef74e3e978f7dd5163663711e2413.jpg the Endzone cargo tray I thought was a neat idea when I realized the pattern was already there.20191130_011213.thumb.jpg.d330cd0262cb1d02559b05f69b1a9dff.jpg 

I made a "clear" orange shifter knob 20191130_011805.thumb.jpg.ab3047417249b85552582e410e4567fc.jpg 

Added nothing to the engine, except a little detail painting.

20191130_011635.thumb.jpg.0d569533c50d2b2a15ac20e8eeb81069.jpg20191130_013111.thumb.jpg.c1a1c4c31b740bb60ba054d708c0f979.jpg

It's ok for a quick "no frills" build, main thing is she is really happy with it, and it looks good with the rest of her Vol shrine.

20191130_011110.jpg

20191130_011201.jpg

13 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Nice looking bug, I particularly like the parcel tray detail, if you hadn't said it was the endzone pattern (not a sport i know) i would have missed it, but its a super cool subtle detail that follows your theme without being overpowering

Thanks alot. It was just something I noticed when putting the interior together... figured why not?

49 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

Looks like something that should be parked in front of Neyland stadium today. GO VOLS!!!!! BEAT VANDY!!!!

There was a guy here around town, (I live a few minutes from the stadium) that drove one very similar... it had orange steelies and baby moons with white walls.

Speaking of that I forgot to add the White wall decals! Wow, I wondered why it looked off.

When I saw "Vols content" in the title I said to myself I gotta see this! My wife is a college football fan too and especially a Vols fan, me not so much any kind of sports fan except drag and F1 racing. I'll print this out and show her. I built the '68 Revelle Beetle last year and painted it black. I agree completely with you-great detail and great fit. 

28 minutes ago, Safire6 said:

When I saw "Vols content" in the title I said to myself I gotta see this! My wife is a college football fan too and especially a Vols fan, me not so much any kind of sports fan except drag and F1 racing. I'll print this out and show her. I built the '68 Revelle Beetle last year and painted it black. I agree completely with you-great detail and great fit. 

Yea, I'm not big on sports myself, I always enjoyed drag racing both as a fan and a brief participant, and I used to really love boxing... not so much anymore as its fairly dead.

But my wife is a College football nut for sure. We live down the street from Phil Fulmer, and run into him on occasion. My wife is jealous because she hasn't met him. I did have him sign a bowling pin for her though, wich is also in the shrine where the VW resides.

4 hours ago, wku88 said:

Nice craftsmanship, but that has to be the ugliest Bug I've ever seen. GO BIG BLUE!!!!  ;-)

Thanks. It was a rather quick build... but that T took 3 tries with frisket film to get "right"... I free handed that with a razor blade. First 2 tries I didnt like it after I sprayed, so i had to wet sand it away and do it over...

And please don't tell my wife its ugly lol!!

22 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That is very cool looking! Nice work!

Thanks!

A few of the pictures make it appear as if there is stuff stuck in the paint... but that's just my phones camera lense... (its busted) and I can't seem to get the dirt specs out of it...

Also forgot to add the white wall decals (but I was really afraid of them) and the antennas.

I should have used BMF on the trim but I was experimenting with molotow... (product is nice but I hate that thing, the tip clogs way too easy)

But oh well the wife was happy so that's what matters.

2 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I'm liking this Bug!!! Go Big Orange!!!

My nephew and his wife graduated from UT back when Peyton Manning was there. 

I'm a fan, but have never been in the stadium. I was always working at gametime! BUMMER!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Being inside that place isn't all its cracked up to be let me tell ya.... 

It's pretty cool for the first few minutes because it's a real spectacle and you feel the power of 100,000 screaming people inside a giant bowl... so that's cool.

But sitting literally shoulder to shoulder with everyone is not my cup of tea... you literally feel packed in tight.

Unless you are I'm in a skybox I'm not doing it again lol.

And who would have thought we would go bowling this year.... not me!! Lol