Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Corvette Roadster. Done for box stock build-off

Dragonhawk1066

Finished this one up a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't post any pics until now since it was for a box stock build-off for one of my facebook groups that ended on Dec. 1. It's the Revell 1968 Corvette Roadster done box stock with the only addition being approved BMF for the trim. This is a really nice kit and I had a lot of fun building it.

The kit was painted with Chroma Molten Metals Acrylic craft paint custom mixed by my wife which I then sprayed through my airbrush, making it my very first airbrush paint job. The interior was also craft paint through my airbrush, as was the chassis. In fact, everything except a few small parts and certain details was done with craft paints (about 95% of the car) and mostly sprayed through the airbrush.

The toughest part of the whole thing , I think, was picking out which pics to use for the contest. I like the looks of each variation-- No top, Soft top and Hard top-- so I ended up using one pic of each for the three allotted body shot angles. I am still learning new things, but the biggest thing I still need to learn is to be more patient and not to rush. Thanks for looking!

20191117_112929.jpg

20191117_113120_HDR.jpg

20191117_113110_HDR.jpg

20191117_112717_HDR.jpg

20191117_112654_HDR.jpg

20191117_112700_HDR.jpg

20191117_112238.jpg

20191117_112313.jpg

20191117_112353.jpg

20191117_112422_HDR.jpg

DSCN3803.JPG

20191117_112457_HDR.jpg

20191117_112445.jpg

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

I love checking out well done C3 Corvette builds, and this one certainly qualifies. 

I'm particularly interested in the paint you used on the body.  What did you use for primer, and does the paint require any special prep to use?  What pressure did you shoot it at? 

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Great looking Vette.

5 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!!!

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Beautiful build and the paint came out great.

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Quite nice.

4 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Looks great! Not sure which variation I like the best but your paint inside and out turned out quite well.

3 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Nice colors and nice look ! ??

20 minutes ago, stevehansen said:

Very clean build

Thanks guys, I appreciate it greatly!

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Looks very, VERY good! One of the best acrylic craft paint jobs I've ever seen! (You could hit the backup lights with some white paint or something, though.) Well done and model on! B)

2 hours ago, Slick Shifter said:

Very nice work! The body paint seems to represent Corvette Bronze, which was also available on 1968 Camaros.

BTW, the little rectangles below the rear bumpers are backup lamps. They have narrow shiny bezels.

Thanks guys, much appreciated! That's the one thing I did forget, I just noticed myself when looking at these pics after uploading them?, a good example of be patient and don't rush?. I was building my brown '69 Camaro alongside this one and just got scatterbrained.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

I love checking out well done C3 Corvette builds, and this one certainly qualifies. 

I'm particularly interested in the paint you used on the body.  What did you use for primer, and does the paint require any special prep to use?  What pressure did you shoot it at? 

Thank you, I appreciate that! Because I painted it inside, I took a chance and bought a three pack of Stynylrez for the airbrush and used the gray. The stuff is awesome, comes ready to spray, covers excellent and has virtually no odor. I might never go back to rattle can primer again, lol. Almost all craft paints are rather thick and need to be thinned. I mainly followed Chris Chapman's (check him out on youtube, very informative) lead on how to thin, what with, and at what pressure. I used a custom mixture of these paints 2011057089_Chromapaint.jpg.b01db9f8e3e3095456cc2e3778dc56d5.jpg

and thinned about 50/50 with a mixture of windshield washer fluid and Pledge w/Future shine(50/50 on that mixture too) and sprayed at about 22-23 lbs. For the interior and chassis and exhaust I used both Apple Barrel and Anita's craft paints. I cleared the body and seats/dash with the Pledge w/Future at about 15 lbs. I neither sanded nor polished or waxed the finish. There are lots of other youtube videos on spraying craft paint, and they all pretty much use the same methods and techniques. Here is a link to one of Chris' videos that I think is the most informative. 

My wife also uses craft paints to paint rocks and stones and I actually use Tamiya TS-13 clear on those with no problems, but not sure how it would do on craft paint on a car body, I would assume it would be o.k., just haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

30 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thank you, I appreciate that! Because I painted it inside, I took a chance and bought a three pack of Stynylrez for the airbrush and used the gray. The stuff is awesome, comes ready to spray, covers excellent and has virtually no odor. I might never go back to rattle can primer again, lol. Almost all craft paints are rather thick and need to be thinned. I mainly followed Chris Chapman's (check him out on youtube, very informative) lead on how to thin, what with, and at what pressure. I used a custom mixture of these paints 2011057089_Chromapaint.jpg.b01db9f8e3e3095456cc2e3778dc56d5.jpg

and thinned about 50/50 with a mixture of windshield washer fluid and Pledge w/Future shine(50/50 on that mixture too) and sprayed at about 22-23 lbs. For the interior and chassis and exhaust I used both Apple Barrel and Anita's craft paints. I cleared the body and seats/dash with the Pledge w/Future at about 15 lbs. I neither sanded nor polished or waxed the finish. There are lots of other youtube videos on spraying craft paint, and they all pretty much use the same methods and techniques. Here is a link to one of Chris' videos that I think is the most informative. 

My wife also uses craft paints to paint rocks and stones and I actually use Tamiya TS-13 clear on those with no problems, but not sure how it would do on craft paint on a car body, I would assume it would be o.k., just haven't tried it yet.

Nice and well done!

22 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice, excellent paint well done!!

Thanks Larry!

22 hours ago, Zoom said:

Nice and well done!

Thanks Bo!

18 hours ago, Deuces said:

Beautiful!!!!!...... Does that kit still come with the 6:71 blower and the Moroso valve covers?????....

Thanks Guido! Yes, they were in mine.

17 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very nice vette

Thanks Eric!

18 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is very nice, thanks for the info on craft acrylics and how to use them.

Very clean build, nice color choices.

Thanks mikemodeler! I've gotten lots of help and tips from just about everywhere, but there are a couple of great youtube channels that show and tell every step of the process. Just happy to help point others in the same direction.

17 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

What a gorgeous paint choice... love that color combo  !

Thank you, Trendsetta68!

15 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Very nice build. I am kind of partial to the soft top.

Thanks Bill! That's my favorite look of the three also.

5 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

looks great!  the Sharks are my favorite Corvette, and I think the Revell '68-69 kits are my favorite to build.  

Nice work - you even got the grills correct in black like the 1:1.  ?

Thank you JJ! Google is great for that kind of research!

10 minutes ago, kelson said:

Beautiful job!!

Thanks Curtis!