Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suitable kits for 'Ford vs. Ferrari' film

If you wanted to build the cars featured in the film Ford vs. Ferrari, what are the suitable kits?  I understand the Ferrari 330 P4 is incorrect for the year depicted, and that's the only kit in my stash that could qualify.  ?  I know there is a variety of GT40 kits available, help us out with that choice.  The Squire woodie would certainly qualify.  Plenty of Shelby Cobras and the Daytona Coupe, my question is, was the 427 developed yet?  I've already built the black sheep IMC J-car, not correctly depicted in the movie.  Thought it would be fun to plot a future project.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

This seems to be a good movie to have a lot of swag for sale, such as branded diecast cars and (gasp!) model kits!

Yes indeed, kinda surprised the various diecast/toy and kit manufacturers didn't get ahead of this movie. I was aware of the movie for almost a year before it was released. Strike while the iron's hot as it were.

43 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

Yes indeed, kinda surprised the various diecast/toy and kit manufacturers didn't get ahead of this movie. I was aware of the movie for almost a year before it was released. Strike while the iron's hot as it were.

A lot of it goes back on the movie makers.  They should've seen licensing opportunities and acted upon them.   Ever notice that whenever a new Disney movie comes out the toys are in the stores months before the movie ever comes out?

53 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

A lot of it goes back on the movie makers.  They should've seen licensing opportunities and acted upon them.   Ever notice that whenever a new Disney movie comes out the toys are in the stores months before the movie ever comes out?

I think the licensing could be a problem for this movie. Just to start there's ford and ferarri but then you get into the sponsors too so we're probably best keeping the lawyers out of it unless you fancy some really expensive kits. I'm sure the aftermarket is already tooling up parts for the already released kits anyway

My guess is Ferrari wanted too much for their stuff.

They make more money of tchotchkes than they do off the cars now for years. LOL their last WDC was in 2007 with Kimi. That's the same time difference to today as a 66 Mk II and a 935-78. Except now it's AMG Mercedes handing them their....

Fujimi is the only ones I've seen that are "worth while" and they are not without need for modification... especially the Ferrari.

I see the price and availability of these kits becoming scarce and a bit ridiculous in price after this film honestly.

I considered getting a few of each kit several months back when I heard about the film, but decided against it, as it will likely be an oversaturated subject like many others... 

Who knows I may still get a couple to eventually build one day?

A movie accurate, but not reality accurate model could be fun.  I knew someone who would build armor models based on films, which would drive the rivet counters crazy when they saw a Leopard tank with WW2 German markings displayed as an "accurate Battle of the BulgeBulge tank".  Of course, it was 100% accurate for the 1966 movie Battle of the Bulge.

You can use the Fujumi/Revell GT40 MKII to build any one of the eight cars in the 66 Lemans lineup with decals from Indycals.  You can also build Sebring and Daytona versions but that's where a little more creativity comes in such as relocating the fuel filler caps just to name one detail that is easily overlooked.  Not all the 1966 MKII's were identical either so it's best to research each car.  Most diecast manufacturers do not bother to account for subtle differences since they were probably based on the recreation cars versus the real ones.  All I can tell you about the Ferrari's is they lost and they were red. ?

Shelby intended to compete the 427 Cobra in 1965 as part of his factory team effort.  In order to meet FIA homolgation (as a production sports car) 100 cars were required to be built.  Shelby was unable to meet that requirement as less than 60 were constructed.  Therefore the 427 was ineligible for FIA competition. However 427 Cobras did compete in the SCCA events and a few other race series internationally but never as part of the FIA World Championship.

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...

One of the candidates for a suitable movie car is the WIX Ford GT40MKII. It is an excellent 1/24th scale diecast with good detail not found in the Fujimi kits.  Cost for the WIX usually runs around $30.  IndyCals makes decal sheets for all the Fords as well and a little non-acetone fingernail polish remover will remove the 40th anniversary makings..

20191210_100153.jpg.7a960d93ff7cc83c157757ad1684a515.jpg20191210_100229.jpg.0b23f18773bbde17ecba98c3fa49e01c.jpg

21 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

One of the candidates for a suitable movie car is the WIX Ford GT40MKII. It is an excellent 1/24th scale diecast with good detail not found in the Fujimi kits.  Cost for the WIX usually runs around $30.  IndyCals makes decal sheets for all the Fords as well and a little non-acetone fingernail polish remover will remove the 40th anniversary makings..

20191210_100153.jpg.7a960d93ff7cc83c157757ad1684a515.jpg20191210_100229.jpg.0b23f18773bbde17ecba98c3fa49e01c.jpg

Great idea Gary.  I have he decals for the Fujumi kit but this would be a quick "build" to recreat the Mark II that is in the Simeone museum.

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6498.PNG