Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Boxster finished

dmthamade

Well, i did have an in progress thread on this kit, never updated because....i forgot. This build took a while because i would spend little time on it, hour here or there with periods of inactivity. Simple kit, no engine detail except the bottom, mostly one piece body. I've built a few Tamiya aircraft and tanks, common thread is the great fit and finish of the parts. This kit was no exception, everything fit with little fuss!! I was worried the head and tailight fit would be a problem, in the end i just cleaned off the sprue attachment and glued them in. Windshield fit was great, and there was no overly thickness or distortion of the clears. They supplied two tops, the hard top and convertible top, both molded as clear parts. Masks were supplied for the windows, worked great. Enough talk.

1AwOHB.jpg

mwxkBi.jpg

BQs6We.jpg

OY8riT.jpg

Ps8qxJ.jpg

Had a problem with paint on the panel behind the top. Clear coat, TS-13 reacted with the decal solvent i used and didn't clean off. Darn.

Don

Thanks for the positives, guys!! I have to say, not having to worry about the engine or drivetrain was a big load off my mind. I'm an auto mechanic, have been for 42 years, and inaccuracies under the hood would drive me nuts. Starting to think building car kits as curbside builds has a definite appeal. Not a big fan of Porsches, but we're doing a Boxster/LS1 conversion at work, saw this kit at the model store, and I wanted to try a Tamiya car kit. I have a very small stash of car kits, AMT/Revell/Polar Lights/MPC, have to say the Tamiya kits quality is leaps and bounds ahead. Will see what else they have.

Don

Thank you again, guys. I agree about silver porsches, would be my choice of color for pretty much any teutonic auto. Exception would be a black full size Mercedes sedan. I did buy another Tamiya Porsche kit, a 911 GT3. I should look at the Tamiya catalogue, see what else is available.

Don