Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Model or Diecast Did You Give As A Gift?

Tom Geiger

Since we now are in the giving season, I thought I'd kick off a thread....

image.png.2736dd3890e3377f802e85f6d9f93576.png

My wife's sister and I are pretty close.  I've known her since she was 15.  Back when she was 17 and wanted to purchase her first car, she entrusted me with being her adviser and bargaining person.   After looking at a few cars, we bought this lime green Chevette for some $1500.  It served her well.  It took her all the way through college and into her work life. Once she was married she got another car.   She mentioned it to me, how she remembered the whole story and how fondly she remembered the Chevette.   So I had to build a replica!

image.png.4677cba34c34a0b0cb15b95d4b360844.png

It started as a promo, so I didn't have to do under hood or chassis detail, which was perfect for this project.  I added a few personal touches.  The bag in the back is her college colors with it's logo.  And there is a college decal on the rear glass.  The car came with the Ying and Yang decal on the rear side window.

image.png.e5f7a173c2f1c57ea0f39e655aa93193.png

And I used flocking to duplicate the fuzzy seat covers the car had on it when purchased, which stayed on it the entire ownership.

We usually go to her house for Thanksgiving.  So after dinner I presented her with this model.  Both my wife and I were pretty excited in anticipation.  And of course she loved it.   She showed it to all of her friends and it sits on her desk at home.   It was fun and surely it was better to give than receive!

Your stories....

Our local club SPAM, Scale Plastic Auto Modellers in Victoria has a Christmas Brunch at a local pub where we exchange wrapped ? kits with the proviso of building the kits for a future meeting later in the spring. The tradition has been around for a few years now and it's coming up this Sunday. This year we also have the option of bringing a WIP that will be wrapped in plain paper for a second draw.

Looking forward to it! ☃️

Last summer my boss narrowly avoided death or serious bodily harm when a speeder essentially did a "felony stop" ram on her on a crowded highway at 70 mph. Her car of course was totalled. She replaced it with a Lexus SC420. I know jack-all about that car but found that a diecast was available from Jada, in black like hers. Several different wheels were offered, none like hers, but I picked the closest I could and ordered it off the net. When it came I Snake-Fu'ed it (including Dullcoating the flashy chrome wheels) and then presented it to her. She likes it so much she proudly displays it in her office, which makes me happy. 

LexusSC420DC001.jpg

I repainted one of the haynes (welly really) vw transporters for my mum a few years ago to represent the last holiday before my dad passed. I should have done a bay window but the spilt is much easier and cheaper to find so it got the lower half repainted dark blue using left over paint from our old van. When I get another bay window I'll be doing the full camper for her with some fun details only the family will know, such as a blue fan beltand some loo roll (both have a connection in one story). Unfortunately during the photbucket fiasco I lost my pics

I gave this to my sister a few years ago for Christmas. It represents the car she drove in college. She called it the "Blue Fluke" (I don't know why). I tried to make it dirty and worn, the way it usually was. I added a few details, like converting it to "three on the tree", and the armrest her dog chewed up on a long trip. She loves it and displays it proudly.

DSCN1136 (2).JPG