Model Cars Magazine Forum

Input on a kit (72 Torino)

As a stock car kit, it is great. With the use of a snap together Johan 72 Torino interior it could be built pretty stock. The chassis is superb and very accurate for a 72 Torino.

Grille and headlights are there in stock form with covers.

Edited by Sledsel

Kit builds a NASCAR stocker without any issues. As stated the body, grille and bumpers are showroom stock. So if you build it as a racer you have to remove the body trim and emblems. The grille cover is correct but the headlight covers were illegal in NASCAR.  Find photos of real 72 race Torino and you will see the difference.  I just drill out the stock headlights and make covers from a paper hole punch and .010 plastic sheet.  Overall chassis is correct but is missing the stamping a factory pan would have...not a huge issue but a flat/smooth pan would be illegal too. The Boss 429 is not correct for a NASCAR Cup car....nice motor.....but a 351 from a AMT 1989 Thunderbird kit is more correct. 

Mine.....Penngwen decals

BAKER73a.JPG

13 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

If you want to build it stock the Revell Starsky and Hutch Torino car will give you some good stock pieces.

Odd thing is the two models wheelbase is different.......in real life they are the same.......I had planned such a build.

12 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I've noticed that too with the AMT body, I dont know if the Johan body is different. 

The AMT 72 Torino is the JoHan kit re-boxed.  The MPC 72 Torino was cloned off the JoHan kit and modified.  Hoods, bumper and grilles all swap. 

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The AMT 72 Torino is the JoHan kit re-boxed.  The MPC 72 Torino was cloned off the JoHan kit and modified.  Hoods, bumper and grilles all swap. 

Ok, how I noticed the difference was I wanted to build a better detailed stock 72 so I tried to swap the Bobby Isaac stock car body onto the Revell chassis. When comparing the two kits it's like putting a 1/24th kit next to a 1/25th kit, I haven't run the numbers to see which one is correct. 

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Ok, how I noticed the difference was I wanted to build a better detailed stock 72 so I tried to swap the Bobby Isaac stock car body onto the Revell chassis. When comparing the two kits it's like putting a 1/24th kit next to a 1/25th kit, I haven't run the numbers to see which one is correct. 

This is the Issac MPC body, JoHan Grille and JoHan interior and promo chassis......a Franken model!

TORINO722.JPG

40 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

This is the Issac MPC body, JoHan Grille and JoHan interior and promo chassis......a Franken model!

TORINO722.JPG

That looks very good, Dave. I bought a stock grille, rear bumper, and hood from a resin company and I'm going to take the back half of the Bobby Isaac cars roof and the top of the rear quarters and trunk area and transplant them onto the Revell kit along with some of the area around the grille.

As I looked over my built Torinos.........

If you want a stock 1972 Gran Torino I'd go with a JoHan or AMT stock body with a Revell chassis. You will need to shorten the Revell chassis a little to make this work.....much less work than cutting up bodies. AND ....if you look close the windshield on the Revell kit it is not as accurate as the JoHan is. The Revell windshield is way to flat and not a wide curve shape it should have. So cutting up the bodies gets you the WB needed but will have other issues. Just IMHO ONLY!!!! Thanks

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

If you want a stock 1972 Gran Torino I'd go with a JoHan or AMT stock body with a Revell chassis. You will need to shorten the Revell chassis a little to make this work.....much less work than cutting up bodies. AND ....if you look close the windshield on the Revell kit it is not as accurate as the JoHan is. The Revell windshield is way to flat and not a wide curve shape it should have. So cutting up the bodies gets you the WB needed but will have other issues. Just IMHO ONLY!!!! Thanks

I've noticed that problem with a lot of Revell kits, I don't know why they cant get that area right.

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

How far off is the wheel base? would I be able to trim the back of the chassis and move the rear axle or would I have to cut it in half and either add or subtract that way?

16 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Last time I checked, IIRC, it was about 3/16 off. Take that out of the center should work. 

I just bought the Johan 72 with the thought of building a relatively stock build. Are you talking about using the chassis from the Revell 76 Torino?

Later-

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

I just bought the Johan 72 with the thought of building a relatively stock build. Are you talking about using the chassis from the Revell 76 Torino?

Later-

That’s how I understand it Tom, interior tube and chassis from the revell and body from the Johan or AMT

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Later-

If the goal is a open hood full detail 1972 Gran Torino the Revell chassis is a good start. I used a promo chassis on my curbside 72.

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Later-

Yep, that's it. The Revell chassis is a touch too long for the older fastback bodies but nothing a little chop chop can't fix.

The engine has a 427 SOHC front cover instead of the correct Boss 429.  The correct part is in the pro stock Maverick or Comet kits.  The last Holman Moody car which ran one race at Riverside in January did run a Boss 429. I think that's the only race a Boss 429 was used by anyone.   Dave is right saying the 351C is more appropriate.