Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Chevelle SS 454 (Star Spangled Blue Lacquer)

Bills72sj

This was an open box purchase from a friend who wanted me to build a replica of the 1:1 car he is building. Unfortunately this kit was not appropriate for his build. So instead I built it for me. It is Testors Star Spangled Blue and has been top coated with Testors Wet look clear. I have only used rattle cans and this is the best paint job I have EVER done. The silver SS stripes are from Keith Marks. The rear window took some fine sanding and Future clear to remove the glue smears. The engine is a BBC mixed and matched with parts box pieces. The side emblems are photo etch and the wheels and tires are parts box pieces. (I wish I had more) Be advised the grille is NOT for ANY year Chevelle. It looks like is was adapted from a Monte Carlo. This is definitely one of my top 3 builds (so far).

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

• Like 1

+1 on all points, especially the color combo! Funny, I've got one or two of these (older release) in the stash, and I don't recall the grille looking like THAT! I wonder if the tooling had to be "repaired", and the grille design was flubbed in the process? Anyway, you made it look as good as possible; well done!

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

+1 on all points, especially the color combo! Funny, I've got one or two of these (older release) in the stash, and I don't recall the grille looking like THAT! I wonder if the tooling had to be "repaired", and the grille design was flubbed in the process? Anyway, you made it look as good as possible; well done!

Thanks, the other 72 Chevelle I built (molded in red) came with the correct grille but with bulbous headlights. This blue Chevelle came in a similar but open box was molded in grey. There were other differences between the kit molds too.

72 Chevelle cover art.jpg

On 12/6/2019 at 10:50 AM, Slick Shifter said:

1972 Chevelle Super Sport grilles were all black when new so maybe that's where the fork in the road is.

SS and Heavy Chevy grilles were blacked out. The Malibu had 2 extra chrome strips in the grille. The grille in this kit looks like a reworked Monte Carlo grille.

autos_chevrolet_heavychevy_1972heavychevy-2.jpg

1972 malibu grille.jpg

IMG_1063.JPG

• 1 year later...

Beautifull build! I have never seen a 1972 in person but it looks very different to the 71 grill wise reffering to your photos. Definitly like the 1971 grill more. Btw, would be posible to CAD the grill you like and print it. If you have measurements of the model and pictures, straight on, side and sow on i could proaboly help.