Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steel tubing thin wall hypodermic source?

I know about K&S, but the selection is very limited.  I see numerous online sources for stainless steel hypodermic type of tubing.  Anyone have a good source that does small orders?  I'm looking for +-1mm and/or 1/16" to maybe 5mm and/or 3/16" diameter, very thin wall, don't know what grade.  It would be nice if they offered variety packs.  I see some have 5' lengths, a bit long.  Primary use would be exhaust tips.  Wanted to ask before I rolled the dice......

Amazon.

That's where I have bought mine in the past.

I use the very thin stuff along with thin music type wire for telescopic antennas.

Amazon has this variety pack of 12 inch long stainless steel hypodermic tubing for $20.00.

image.png.5b9b13b7e681710b31534861989416a8.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Small Parts Inc. used to be my go-to source before Amazon took them over.  They are still around but the selec tion and ease of orde ring is not the same.

Thankfully I still have good supply from when I stocked up on it years ago.

(I had to split up couple of words to avoid the dreaded 404 error. )

19 hours ago, El Roberto said:

I know about that source.  The sizes don't get bigger than what, 2mm?  Also it's brass, what's the point for s.s. exhaust tips if I have to paint, might as well use plastic.  Their connectors are a great idea, for making roll cages.

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks.  Think the wall thickness is still too much, for me.  But I will scout around.

8 hours ago, peteski said:

(I had to split up couple of words to avoid the dreaded 404 error. )

Ok thanks.  What's with the error?  NOW I KNOW!

7 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Thank you.  Did not see this source when I did a search.  They have prices, and short lengths, will pursue.

3 hours ago, Bainford said:

My computer says it's Not Secure, did hit that earlier, 30" & 60" lengths.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING OUT!  *EDIT* Had all your comments quoted, let's see if this works.

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Ok thanks.  What's with the error?  NOW I KNOW!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING OUT!  *EDIT* Had all your comments quoted, let's see if this works.

Well, you didn't quote all the text of my post, and even if you did, the words were already made "safe" by splitting them in 2, so even if you quoted my post word-for-word, it would not have generated the 404 error.

When I first composed my message I got the 404 error. Going by my past experience here (with the dreaded SQL injection filter) I figured that either s e l e c t i o n  or  o r d e r i n g (or both) were the offending words.  So I "neutered" them by splitting them in half, and that got rid of the 404 error posted my message again.  Of course, the way I wrote those words now, they are also "neutered" and safe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 1:43 AM, Flat32 said:

I think this is where I got mine.  Been a couple years ago.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hypodermic-tubing

Letting you know, I ordered on the 10th, received today (12)!  The website is easy to use, lot's of sizes to choose from, 12" lengths have to be better for shipping than 30", quality is very good.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, 89AKurt said:

I know about K&S, but the selection is very limited.  I see numerous online sources for stainless steel hypodermic type of tubing.  Anyone have a good source that does small orders?  I'm looking for +-1mm and/or 1/16" to maybe 5mm and/or 3/16" diameter, very thin wall, don't know what grade.  It would be nice if they offered variety packs.  I see some have 5' lengths, a bit long.  Primary use would be exhaust tips.  Wanted to ask before I rolled the dice......

I found a pkg of RC aircraft crimping sleeves at my LHS. They work great

exhaust tips.jpg

10 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I found a pkg of RC aircraft crimping sleeves at my LHS. They work great.

That's a good tip!  (pun intended)

I had previously ordered tubing from another source, was not aware of the thickness of the wall, so I learned my lesson.  I was working with the second from the right for exhaust tips, now compare to the far left tube.
IMG_1024.thumb.jpg.84c70bb4bbabd31e646137240910d3c6.jpg
IMG_1026.thumb.jpg.516ce86cd4be44eb7a9ea3b71fc08054.jpg

Wrapped an end with masking tape, chucked in the cordless drill, and polished the tubing.  I'm a happy camper! ?
IMG_1028.thumb.jpg.212ac874c770815a89a48a96500851a6.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 3:36 PM, keyser said:

Nice SNAP Kurt. They need a side vent that is odd, elongated football but sharp ends. 
Heres 2689 SEFAC SWB

6584B534-7B35-429E-8C36-409A13955E65.jpeg

I have no idea how to cut those slots.  There is an oval tube in there, and spiral fins inside of those.  Even 1/12 scale builders don't do that.

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I have no idea how to cut those slots.  There is an oval tube in there, and spiral fins inside of those.  Even 1/12 scale builders don't do that.

I’m insane. Don’t worry about my standards. 😎

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Drill three holes - two small ones and a larger one in the middle, then whittle the rest open with the tip of an X-acto blade. Maybe simulate the spiral fins with part of a wood screw?

You just really need fins on dead on look from rear. Agree larger tube and open up. Then 2/3 side tube. Fins inside could be 5 small strips on the inner tube. Or just do in end. They’re rounded away from center smaller tip. Tiny. Prob 1/4” so I won’t tell. Everyone leaves out side vent which is flame arrestor part. Used on swb gto and cal mostly

link =document.pdf?ver=1562695148777

Edited by keyser
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/c841e45d-a12f-404b-9b37-3a9749c682eb/downloads/document.pdf?ver=1562695148777

6 hours ago, keyser said:

You just really need fins on dead on look from rear. Agree larger tube and open up. Then 2/3 side tube. Fins inside could be 5 small strips on the inner tube. Or just do in end. They’re rounded away from center smaller tip. Tiny. Prob 1/4” so I won’t tell. Everyone leaves out side vent which is flame arrestor part. Used on swb gto and cal mostly

I have the KA Models p-e, they only have the very end of the fins.

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Drill three holes - two small ones and a larger one in the middle, then whittle the rest open with the tip of an X-acto blade. Maybe simulate the spiral fins with part of a wood screw?

I'd like to see you take a tiny drill, and start the hole on the curve of the steel tube!  I break drills as it is, with flat plastic.