Model Cars Magazine Forum

What’s the best 56 Chevy kit???

Another thought on the '56 Chevrolet. There are several very good Resin kits that offer body styles that you can't get in plastic. The Revell kits offer the best donor chassis and interior parts for such a build. A little thing to remember if you should go that way, not all Resin bodies are done as well as the Revell kits. This would require a little more effort on your part and somewhat intimidating at first. 

23 hours ago, espo said:

Another thought on the '56 Chevrolet. There are several very good Resin kits that offer body styles that you can't get in plastic. The Revell kits offer the best donor chassis and interior parts for such a build. A little thing to remember if you should go that way, not all Resin bodies are done as well as the Revell kits. This would require a little more effort on your part and somewhat intimidating at first. 

Who makes resin kits based on the Revell '56 Chevy? I was searching a while back and could not find anything.

24 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

You will need to use the Revell 56 Delray Sedan kit for all other parts. Right. Good luck finding one. :D 

Are they rare? Glad I grabbed a couple a while back. 

If they're rare, you'd think it would be a good candidate for a resissue. 

27 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

If and when they turn up on ebay, be prepared to pay plenty. I have a saved search for this kit and I haven't seen one in almost a year.

There's three of them on there right now, new in box, the cheapest of which is $35 BIN. Not exactly what I'd call "dear," especially if I'd wanted one for a year. :unsure:

I also found "completed" at least four that have sold in the last 60 days for $25 or less

Edited by Snake45

8 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Who makes resin kits based on the Revell '56 Chevy? I was searching a while back and could not find anything.

Check out the After Market / Resin section on this forum. Look under Directory, there're many casters listed there. The above mentioned MCW has an excellent reputation. Unfortunately we no longer have The Modelhaus. I have built Resins from Jimmy Flintstone and Star Models with great results.  They're all listed in that section.      

On 12/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, 57peppershaker said:

Yup, what Snake said. Avoid the old original Revell with opening doors

The old Revell opening doors 56 has a pretty nice engine, on par with the well-regarded parts pack engines, and has nice period speed equipment. There are also a smattering of decent parts sprinkled through the kit as well, but the bulk of it is pretty awful. It is great kit-bash fodder if nothing else.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:20 PM, Snake45 said:

There are several sites on Facebook that have live auctions where I've seen the Revell Del Ray kits.  One is called "Its All Junk" where they do live auctions on fb and some of the kits go much cheaper than ebay.

"It's All Junk" Junk Yard & Live Auctions (SCALE MODELS)

I have a resin '56 Chevy 4-door sedan, made to fit the newer Revell '56 kit.  No idea who made it, I found it at a kit show a couple of years ago.  It's well done, with the correct 4-door interior panels.  I've seen the same conversion kit on eBay for outrageous prices; nearly $200 "or make offer" IIRC.