Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T70 Mk1 Spider, Union (IMC), 1/24 (or 1/25, or maybe 1/27...)

Matt Bacon

Well, it was a bit of a battle, but we got there in the end...

left-corner-on-black.jpg

Cutaway-1.jpg

high-front-right-corner.jpg

high-rear-right.jpg

high-front-left-corner.jpg

high-rear-left.jpg

right-profile.jpg

very-low-front-right-corner.jpg

right-side-with-clams.jpg

front-right-corner-on-black.jpg

rear-right-on-black.jpg

rear-left-on-black.jpg

cutaway-2.jpg

There's a fair bit of work in getting the doors and clams to fit, and I've added some extra details like the oil coolers in the engine bay and fire extinguisher. But it's the only way you're going to get a 1/24 injection moulded Lola T70 on your shelves. You'd think that Tamiya would scale down their big Mk 3 Coupe, but they haven't yet!

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Hello Matt - Let me be the first to congratulate you on your superb build of the IMC Lola. I also very impressed with your photography especially the "see through" engine cover. I am not sure however we can refer to the IMC kit as 1/24. I think it is more like 1/27 or 1/28. Actually there is a way to get 1/24 Lola using a Tamiya body. Not that many years ago Tamiya reissued their Lola T-70 slot car body which I built up on a Fujimi Ford GT-40 chassis. You can check it out here.

Thanks very much Phil... yours looks blinkin' amazing; I hadn't seen it before, but I'm super impressed. I've actually got the same Tamiya slot body awaiting something similar...one day. The scale on the IMC is interesting -- the wheelbase seems pretty much bang on for 1/25, but the track is, as you say, more like 1/27. Seeing that the very undersized engine is probably driven by "squishing" it to fit under opening and well over scale thickness clamshells, I wonder if the narrow track is caused by the same design compromise. I measured up the engine block and heads, and it's pretty much right for a 289 fore and aft, but at least 25% too narrow, which seems to be dictated by a combination of having to engineer the serpentine headers so they can be assembled by a "normal" modeller, and fit inside the too-narrow track inside the overly thick clamshells...

best,

M.

3 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Thanks very much Phil... yours looks blinkin' amazing; I hadn't seen it before, but I'm super impressed. I've actually got the same Tamiya slot body awaiting something similar...one day. The scale on the IMC is interesting -- the wheelbase seems pretty much bang on for 1/25, but the track is, as you say, more like 1/27. Seeing that the very undersized engine is probably driven by "squishing" it to fit under opening and well over scale thickness clamshells, I wonder if the narrow track is caused by the same design compromise. I measured up the engine block and heads, and it's pretty much right for a 289 fore and aft, but at least 25% too narrow, which seems to be dictated by a combination of having to engineer the serpentine headers so they can be assembled by a "normal" modeller, and fit inside the too-narrow track inside the overly thick clamshells...

best,

M.

Thanks  Matt - Before I started building my Lola T-70 I did a comparison of all small block Ford V-8 I could get my hands on. There is an incredible variation in demensions but the IMC SBF definitely measured up the narrowest.

Super build of the Lola. Those old IMC kits were a tough build to make them look right when completed. Too many parts! Yours looks perfect and I know that was not easy! Congrats on an excellent build :)

Edited by Bill J