Model Cars Magazine Forum

Biggest pet peeves on builds.

18 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I thought of another pet peeve, and it really is a pet -- cat hairs. In the paint. And no, there will be no easy way to remove them. This beloved miscreant is the source. .

IMG_2514[1].jpg

AWWWE....thats cute....my cat use to do that before he died.....funny little buggers...

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

*sigh*

I really dislike these threads. no matter how innocently they start, there inevitably ends up being people who take general comments personally. And there are always people that loosely mask their disdain at other builders's style. 

I predict a lock in the near future.

And just like in the last pet peeve thread, I still want to build a kit that encompasses ALL of the peeves listed. See how many people get triggered. ?

LOL!!!!

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

*sigh*

I really dislike these threads. no matter how innocently they start, there inevitably ends up being people who take general comments personally. And there are always people that loosely mask their disdain at other builders's style. 

I predict a lock in the near future.

And just like in the last pet peeve thread, I still want to build a kit that encompasses ALL of the peeves listed. See how many people get triggered. ?

Can I get an AMEN!!!

2 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Yea I get it, but I do not wanna be the guy to cause unnecessary trouble or "rock the boat"...

That is certainly not why I joined this forum and exactly why I have never had any other (anti)"social media".

Guess I'll choose my topics a bit more judiciously in the future.

Too much negativity in the world already without unnecessarily creating the breeding ground for more. 

You shouldn't have to weigh and scrutinize everything you want to discuss Leroy.

There is absolutely no possible way to predict whether or not someone is going to get weird on you.

Post what you want to post and let them sort it out.

As a general rule, most of the people here are like you.

They want to have discussions about what their interests are and possibly glean a little information along the way.

There is always the possibility that someone is going to throw a wrench into the works, but it's not your responsibility to worry about that.

If your lucky, you'll piss off some of the people that you don't want to deal with to the point where they will no longer post on your threads.

Worked for me! ;)

Steve

18 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I thought of another pet peeve, and it really is a pet -- cat hairs. In the paint. And no, there will be no easy way to remove them. This beloved miscreant is the source. .

IMG_2514[1].jpg

She looks like a Tortie we used to have in our family.

20 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You shouldn't have to weigh and scrutinize everything you want to discuss Leroy.

There is absolutely no possible way to predict whether or not someone is going to get weird on you.

Post what you want to post and let them sort it out.

As a general rule, most of the people here are like you.

They want to have discussions about what their interests are and possibly glean a little information along the way.

There is always the possibility that someone is going to throw a wrench into the works, but it's not your responsibility to worry about that.

If your lucky, you'll piss off some of the people that you don't want to deal with to the point where they will no longer post on your threads.

Worked for me! ;)

Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

I'll just keep on keepin on.

I'm going to start off by saying that you should build whatever makes you happy, and don't worry about the opinions of some faceless mob on the internet.   It would be sad if people thought they had to run a focus group every time they start a project.

That said, there are two things that bug me.

The first is setups that obviously won't work in real life.  Show cars get a pass because they were seldom designed to be functional in the first place,  but something like a blown hemi driving stock Model T wheels?  Yeah, that won't be pretty.

The other is when someone says they're making something from a certain era, and it's a mishmash of styles from five decades that I know is like nothing that was actually built then.   You want to mashup different styles, that's great, but if you're trying to replicate a particular style,  know what it is you're replicating.

51 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

I'll just keep on keepin on.

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's the attitude!! :D

Steve

That's all you can do......

I hate it when I forget to file an edge of an exhaust pipe or other 'round' part..and it shows up like a neon sign when I post my recent finished pictures

38 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

That's all you can do......

I hate it when I forget to file an edge of an exhaust pipe or other 'round' part..and it shows up like a neon sign when I post my recent finished pictures

Isn't it amazing how glaring flaws only seem to show up when you take pictures!

I have had this exact thing happen to me 2 times. It all looks great until the camera shows you where you boo booed.

Personally my biggest peeve is finishing a build. It seems that no matter how many times I test fit a part once it comes to finally gluing it together it no longer fits. Take my recent golf, I really wanted to do a good job on it, and I judaciously test fit every part before and after paint but once it was glued together parts just didn't want to fit so I ended up with wonky back lights and a lower bumper that somehow grew in length so it wouldn't fit.

As for this thread, I'm using it for build tips, not because I want people to comment on my stuff, but because I want to improve my models.

4 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I was just looking for some "real time" interaction with the community... that I'm extremely new in.

That's exactly what this forum is for, so you found the correct place.

4 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Looking up zombie threads is great for information/reference, but not so good for conversation.

It depends on the topic. As I mentioned, if it's a time sensitive topic, then there's little point in replying to an older topic with outdated discussion. If its a timeless topic, like pet peeves about building, which kits are your favorite, How do I polish paint, etc., then an older existing topic might have the answers and previous replies which are relevant to the topic/subject. Adding a new reply to an old topic which is still relevant serves multiple purposes, and acknowledges members have had contributions worth recognizing. That said, there are plenty of older topics about the same subject which have little to no valuable content (granted, that is a subjective statement, so YMMV), and are best left without any new replies. It is up to the person replying or considering crating a new topic to decide how to proceed.

There is plenty of good information on this forum, but it does take some effort to find it at times. Some will put forth that effort and be rewarded, and other will create new post for everything. In my decade of experience here as a member, the latter tend not to last.

35 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Which is why I take a lot of pictures as I build.  I see my flaws in some of them,  and when I post photos, people will advise me too!  It's all good when done as I'm working and can correct the issues!

17 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Which is why I take a lot of pictures as I build.  I see my flaws in some of them,  and when I post photos, people will advise me too!  It's all good when done as I'm working and can correct the issues!

I agree completely!

The "On the Bench" section can be your best friend!

Steve

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I've noticed how important this is just recently... not only does it help with seeing issues, it helps with (for me anyway) keeping the overall build idea fresh in my mind.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

For sure, I've already noted a few I'd never think off

Same here...

One I'd like to add is something I have done myself until I built the little 68 beetle (that I posted in the under glass section) it has a separate head liner panel...

I had never thought of actually painting in or flocking a head liner...

But once I realized it, I will now never have a "bare" headliner... unless the build calls for it... race car or such.

This thread is a good one. No harm nor foul. The ignore function for posts is invaluable, too. LOL. Posting a pet peeve in a build thread or informational thread is pointless, but some here enjoy that attention. Best part of the board is the variety of approaches to build and solve problems. Those that insist they know best, usually don't. 

Like Snake says, build on, and post on. 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, Snake45 said:

Don't forget the Parted Hair Look, where all the wires on the left side of the engine come (in order) from the left side of the distributor and vice versa! (Yes I realize there are aftermarket distributor caps now that will actually do this.) 

Repeat after me: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2! It really ain't that hard to do! :lol:B)

Ah yes, the "Alfalfa" look ?

16 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I have had this exact thing happen to me 2 times. It all looks great until the camera shows you where you boo booed.

Every.

Single.

time.

?

I finish a build and I'm digging it. I dust it, clean it, get it as lint free and presentable as possible. i take pics, and boom. Pet hairs, dust, finger prints. Where did these come from?! Why does that bumper only look crooked in pictures? 

Ah well, shrug, smile, and move on to the next!

41 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Every.

Single.

time.

?

I finish a build and I'm digging it. I dust it, clean it, get it as lint free and presentable as possible. i take pics, and boom. Pet hairs, dust, finger prints. Where did these come from?! Why does that bumper only look crooked in pictures? 

Ah well, shrug, smile, and move on to the next!

Wasn't until I posted the pics of the VW that i noticed I forgot the vanity plate decal and the antennas...