Model Cars Magazine Forum

Biggest pet peeves on builds.

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

I can't say that I like that idea a lot. I have '29 and '53 pickups still to do. They're going to eventually end up in the truck section? That just became my new pet peeve.

And now I'm even seeing El Caminos and Rancheros get hijacked down to Trucks--though, for some reason, not all of them. I just finished an Elky rescue I'm almost afraid to post for fear it will get sent downstairs. 

Your '53 truck is obviously a truck, not much can be done about that. But many, MANY '29s are done as rods, though, and are never used to haul anything but ass. (Others, of course, are done as stockers and trucks, even commercial ones.) 

On 12/4/2019 at 5:38 AM, Repstock said:

I might be way off on this (wouldn't be the first time), but as I read this it seems like people are saying "It bothers me when someone else doesn't build the way I like to build."  I'm probably taking this all way too seriously.

I don't really see it that way at all. Most of us here, I suspect, really enjoy looking at very well done car models. When we see something that obviously falls flat, for any one of dozens of reasons, we're just disappointed, that''s all. If the individual modeler is happy with his results, then I'm happy for him.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:33 AM, Snake45 said:

And somewhat like your imagined build, I want to someday do a '49 Merc custom with every modification, addition, and color that I consider hideous eyesores, and see how many positive comments I get on it. I'm betting it would be a LOT. :lol:

Do it! I'll be the first one to tell you how awesome it is.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Guilty as charged. The Testors cans are perhaps the worst; unfortunately I have quite a few of them, mostly new too.

It's funny because they're not all bad.

You would think that Testors could be a little more consistent.

After all, it's all going on scale models. ;)

Steve

My peeve is... me ! 

Seriously , though --- I'm envious of those amongst us whose hands are steady , whose ability is to see finite details , and are able to scratch-build a tyre valve stem !

When my hands were steady , I lacked the skills . When my vision wasn't 50 years old , I was able to paint instruments and gauges using a toothpick , and achieve satisfactory results .

All I can say is , Thank God for interior decals  !

At my age , I'm still learning new techniques . Lots of outstanding craftsman on this board . 

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I can't say that I like that idea a lot. I have '29 and '53 pickups still to do. They're going to eventually end up in the truck section? That just became my new pet peeve.

A pickup is a pickup. It doesn't matter what style it's built in. It's still a pickup and belongs in that section. I do disagree with moving El Caminos and Rancheros to the pickup section as they're car/wagon based and don't have a separate bed. It would be like moving a station wagon there because it's an early SUV.

Edited by Plowboy

22 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's funny because they're not all bad.

You would think that Testors could be a little more consistent.

After all, it's all going on scale models. ;)

Steve

I have one kit for sure that will get Testors Mystic Emerald (AMT Mustang AWB Funny Car), and it's very sparkly, but it's also almost a dead match for the Pactra green that I used on the same kit many, many years ago. This model, as well as all of the others I built when I was a kid, are all long gone now, so I'll be building it again, as a tribute to my own younger days (but will hopefully look much better than this).

4zpKKC.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

And now I'm even seeing El Caminos and Rancheros get hijacked down to Trucks--though, for some reason, not all of them. I just finished an Elky rescue I'm almost afraid to post for fear it will get sent downstairs. 

Your '53 truck is obviously a truck, not much can be done about that. But many, MANY '29s are done as rods, though, and are never used to haul anything but ass. (Others, of course, are done as stockers and trucks, even commercial ones.) 

That's a good point I suppose, though I'm still not too happy about it. Rules are rules though, and I can certainly respect that. I have one or two Camino's also, '59 and '65, so I guess they'll get dragged down to the netherworld too.

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have one kit for sure that will get Testors Mystic Emerald (AMT Mustang AWB Funny Car), and it's very sparkly, but it's also almost a dead match for the Pactra green that I used on the same kit many, many years ago. This model, as well as all of the others I built when I was a kid, are all long gone now, so I'll be building it again, as a tribute to my own younger days (but will hopefully look much better than this).

4zpKKC.jpg

Do I see "fake fur" on the dash board? :D

What modeler didn't do that as a kid? :lol:

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, Bainford said:

I'd be happy if they would just put a label on the bottle that I can read. I find it ironic that as the model building demographic gets older, the printing on the bottle labels gets smaller. Even trying to determine what paint in the bottle is nearly impossible.

Or Hobby Lobby which insists on putting the price label over the paint bottle label.  

On 1/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, SfanGoch said:

Fmeep is uniquely un-catlike. He eats onions, sriracha sauce, blue Stilton cheese, garlic dill pickles, chocolate and actually enjoys baths. We stopped letting him play Monopoly with us because he cheats.

Cats shouldn't eat onions , just a heads up. Cats livers cant process an enzyme in the onions and it will poison their blood. 

I know. Chocolate, garlic and a whole laundry list of items are toxic to cats, including cannabis. Tell him. He's been eating them, excepting the weed :D , for all of his 11 years and passes his annual physicals with flying colors. The furry faced S.O.B. also likes caviar

image.png.070b0d7b3eb804ef3251779aaae115c6.png

mixed with his pheasant w/sweet potatoes. I should eat so good.

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I know. Chocolate, garlic and a whole laundry list of items are toxic to cats, including cannabis. Tell him. He's been eating them, excepting the weed :D , for all of his 11 years and passes his annual physicals with flying colors. The furry faced S.O.B. also likes caviar

mixed with his pheasant w/sweet potatoes. I should eat so good.

Seriously!

I'm tacking a tail to my ass and moving in with you!! :D

Steve

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I know. Chocolate, garlic and a whole laundry list of items are toxic to cats, including cannabis. Tell him. He's been eating them, excepting the weed :D , for all of his 11 years and passes his annual physicals with flying colors. The furry faced S.O.B. also likes caviar mixed with his pheasant w/sweet potatoes. I should eat so good.

No kidding. Sometimes I think the cats eat better than I do. Then one them brings home a gopher. Caviar is probably super fish to them, and what cat doesn't like fish?

9 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Then one them brings home a gopher.

That's for you. It's the feline equivalent of handing a bum a half-eaten sandwich. Your cats don't want see you hungry. Besides, growling stomachs annoy them when they're eating.

image.png.ac058be0e7c0fd4b9f6e3cfced532026.png

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

That's for you. It's the feline equivalent of handing a bum a half-eaten sandwich. Your cats don't want see you hungry. Besides, growling stomachs annoy them when they're eating.

image.png.ac058be0e7c0fd4b9f6e3cfced532026.png

We had a cat that loved tomato sauce, she would pace around in circles until you let her lick your spaghetti plate.