Model Cars Magazine Forum

Biggest pet peeves on builds.

1 hour ago, DukeE said:

The goal in model building is to achieve an end result that is as realistic as possible.

Not paint flakes.

The above statement is likely the issue. Sadly it was quoted, and I smiled, expected nothing less. Sweeping dictums and Webster's definitions. LOL

Post up when you've got fuel in the filter and fluid in the reservoir, all possible. 

For example, Bill and Dann's builds and attitudes are less dogmatic and condescending. 

Superiority only works when one is superior. Humility takes effort. 

Maybe we should have a list of who's opinions are valid, and who's are not.

These are my opinions and nothing more.

You can take them or leave them.

Obviously you have opinions of your own, yet I won't be labeling yours as "condescending" or "dogmatic".

I'll leave those sentiments to those who like to throw bombs.

Steve

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You wouldn't have liked my '69 Camaro. But maybe you would have--I had it painted that way in 1978, LONG before that color became a thing. B)

Ugh, I can't remember what car or truck was popular around that time in a dark silver/gunmetal color. Maybe a GM truck? I almost painted my 67 Fairlane GTA that color, but decided to keep the original Springtime Yellow.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Ugh, I can't remember what car or truck was popular around that time in a dark silver/gunmetal color. Maybe a GM truck? I almost painted my 67 Fairlane GTA that color, but decided to keep the original Springtime Yellow.

I almost did my 80 Z28 like that nut decided against it...

Now the car has been in primer for about 7yrs.

The only peeve I have with builds - and I've been guilty of all the ones listed and then some - is rims not fitting "properly" inside the tire beads.

I can easily live with outsized paint metallics, odd colours, rad and oil pan seams... even body seams and less than stellar paint work. I've been guilty of all of those sins, and on more than one occasion. 

But, to me, nothing draws my eye faster than a rim sitting far outside the edge of a tire. It ruins whatever look the builder is trying to convey, and I generally don't look past it.

11 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I almost did my 80 Z28 like that nut decided against it...

Now the car has been in primer for about 7yrs.

I owned the Fairlane around the same time Snake painted his Camaro (76-80). Silver and grey was already getting popular on the west coast. Who can forget two tone silver and grey Monte Carlos with Bordello velour interiors? I think "Root Beer Brown" was giving way to grey as the "in" color for new square body GM pickups.

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

I owned the Fairlane around the same time Snake painted his Camaro (76-80). Silver and grey was already getting popular on the west coast. Who can forget two tone silver and grey Monte Carlos with Bordello velour interiors? I think "Root Beer Brown" was giving way to grey as the "in" color for new square body GM pickups.

I wasn't around back then to see it in person...  but I've seen enough of it roll into the body shop, and I've owned a few like that... has a 78 el camino 2 tones black and silver with the bordello interior... loved that car.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That one bugs me too.

Steve

I have been using a machinists hole saw lately (by hand) to turn down the back flange of my wheels so they aren't out of scale thick and sit flush with the "rubber"

Seems to work nicely for me.

6 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I have been using a machinists hole saw lately (by hand) to turn down the back flange of my wheels so they aren't out of scale thick and sit flush with the "rubber"

Seems to work nicely for me.

I haven't tried anything like that, but sometimes, depending on the type of tires used, just a quick, careful slice with an X-Acto blade around the bead of the tire, and possibly a little sanding at a bevel around the back of the bead of the wheel can make the wheel set a little deeper into the tire.

The 442 project I'm working on now didn't require any wheel changes as the wheels I'm using are very nice Johan wheels, but a tiny amount of material removed from the bead of the tire helped a great deal to deepen the seating of the wheel.

image.thumb.jpeg.8971467dc6447abfdcffef8884965b89.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94f54d1ff93d0ac881797a4fb4baf64e.jpeg

Steve

One thing that bothers me, and it has already probably been mentioned, is poor photography. Usually too dark. What could really be a nice looking build can't be seen that well. Or, maybe, dark pics are used so the model can't be seen well...

I have a program on my computer, Microsoft Picture It! 7.0. I usually only use the contrast auto fix, crop, and brightness/contrast. It's not a great program but it helps me adjust my pics.

37 minutes ago, DPNM said:

One thing that bothers me, and it has already probably been mentioned, is poor photography. Usually too dark. What could really be a nice looking build can't be seen that well. Or, maybe, dark pics are used so the model can't be seen well...

I have a program on my computer, Microsoft Picture It! 7.0. I usually only use the contrast auto fix, crop, and brightness/contrast. It's not a great program but it helps me adjust my pics.

I'm no photographer myself, but the ones that bother me are the blurry phone pics, or the ones that are smaller than a postage stamp.

Even worse are the links rather than the actual photos themselves.

I very rarely click on a photo link.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I haven't tried anything like that, but sometimes, depending on the type of tires used, just a quick, careful slice with an X-Acto blade around the bead of the tire, and possibly a little sanding at a bevel around the back of the bead of the wheel can make the wheel set a little deeper into the tire.

The 442 project I'm working on now didn't require any wheel changes as the wheels I'm using are very nice Johan wheels, but a tiny amount of material removed from the bead of the tire helped a great deal to deepen the seating of the wheel.

image.thumb.jpeg.8971467dc6447abfdcffef8884965b89.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94f54d1ff93d0ac881797a4fb4baf64e.jpeg

Steve

Those do sit nicely... 

Only reason I've resorted to the hole saw is because it makes a perfect circle of the right size for most 1/25 scale wheels and it keeps me from having to try and sand a tiny flange evenly... the biggest reason though is because I already had the tool lol.

50 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Those do sit nicely... 

Only reason I've resorted to the hole saw is because it makes a perfect circle of the right size for most 1/25 scale wheels and it keeps me from having to try and sand a tiny flange evenly... the biggest reason though is because I already had the tool lol.

Hey, whatever works!

You're right, sanding can be a little pissy.

Basically, I just try to assess the tires and wheels that I plan on using and work on a solution that will work for them specifically.

We call it "modeling", right? :P

Steve

16 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Hey, whatever works!

You're right, sanding can be a little pissy.

Basically, I just try to assess the tires and wheels that I plan on using and work on a solution that will work for them specifically.

We call it "modeling", right? :P

Steve

That's fair...lol

Pictures...  hey, I remember back when I started building as an adult some 30 years ago.  We had no pictures!  There were cameras that used this stuff called "film" and it took real skills to coax decent model photos out of them.  And you really didn't know how you did until you got the pictures back from the developer, which cost money. Then digital photography came about... it was like magic!  I bought one of those $800 Sony Mavica cameras and it paid for itself in eBay sales.   Today?  The camera in your cell phone is better than any digital camera I ever owned.  

So today anyone can take pictures effortlessly.  If my wife wants me to buy a specific product at the grocery store, and shows it to me... I'll snap a quick picture.  It's just become a way of life.    So just don't take it for granted.

Someone asked me how you get 5 good photos of your model.  I told him to take 100 and at least 5 will come out good!  Kinda funny but true!  And it costs you nothing to do.

image.png.873f914c3fc54f737e7b11ad4725bce5.png

My progress shots?  Are going to be on my messy work bench.  I will try to get decent focus and lighting.  But if you can't live with it, don't look.

image.png.2957aab04b7f07f6d434f14271494348.png

Finished model photos?  In my back yard, which is shady so there is no direct sunlight. I have a board I covered with model railroad  roadway spray paint.  And that's my back yard in the background.   Not the best, but it's what I can do!

13 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Finished model photos?  In my back yard, which is shady so there is no direct sunlight. I have a board I covered with model railroad  roadway spray paint.  And that's my back yard in the background.   Not the best, but it's what I can do!

I do exactly the same thing.

I have a photo box that I will take photos in, but I prefer to get shots in natural light.

In my case, it's a folding card table and my "side yard".

My back yard is to the south, so in this part of the country, I would almost always be shooting into the sun.

So in order to get the sun on my back and not end up with the neighbor in his Bermudas on his John Deere in the background, I take pics facing north west.

image.thumb.jpeg.030120d936b24a12a480a80c03999528.jpeg

Steve

agreed Steve!  We both constantly post build threads and finished project photos!   I'd say we are in the minority on the board.  And some folks don't understand that it takes time and effort to take the photos and write the  posts.   And they'll criticize our efforts  like we're television.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I do exactly the same thing.

I have a photo box that I will take photos in, but I prefer to get shots in natural light.

In my case, it's a folding card table and my "side yard".

My back yard is to the south, so in this part of the country, I would almost always be shooting into the sun.

So in order to get the sun on my back and not end up with the neighbor in his Bermudas on his John Deere in the background, I take pics facing north west.

image.thumb.jpeg.030120d936b24a12a480a80c03999528.jpeg

Steve

That is a sweet lookin model right there.

Love the finish on those wheels.