Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
LL3 Model Worx

Biggest pet peeves on builds.

Recommended Posts

Oh great. Now it's a cat thread. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cats can be a literal pet peeve when it comes to model building; mine is when he decides to hijack an entire PE fret and mutilate it beyond recognition. So, technically, this thread is still on track.

Edited by SfanGoch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a law of modeling that your desk looks like a war zone only mere hours after you've tidied it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's neat, it's because:

A. The other half couldn't stand looking it and decided to surprise you

B. The other half exacting revenge for some as of yet unknown transgression on your part

C. It was the result of mass looting by pets exacting revenge for some as of yet unknown transgression on your part

D. Ennui

E. You are about to start on that new kit you've been waiting for and need room to make a total wreck of the workspace once you dump the contents out

Edited by SfanGoch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This: 

c7.jpg.6a07c1bcb86b767ac9699a0ba1d7ddc6.jpg

I get that there was no internet back in '82, but there were a number of Ford & Mustang magazines with color pictures.  I'm not sure who built this box art turd, but he negatively influenced countless lazy modelers with that "goldfish" headlight treatment.  

c5.jpg.e37a5446d1d041e04e6156ffec048cc0.jpg

Yes, the way the light hits that part of the grille can make it look lighter, but it's not silver, and definitely not chrome, yet even today, with every conceivable means of accurate research at our fingertips, we still get these builds with the goldfish look.  

I can't even guess at the number of builders I've PMed about this (as opposed to calling out the issue in their thread), including some who went above and beyond to achieve amazing detail on every other area, and every one of them told me they were happy with the result and couldn't be convinced that spending a short amount of time addressing a noticeable flaw would make a major improvement.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh great. Now it's a cat thread. :rolleyes:

3653882D-1349-46F8-AF39-D1CEB660E402.thumb.jpeg.b10c4c197078e44ffec9b1668b099ec4.jpeg

I hate when Mr Chips questions my styling choices.  The box clearly says ages 6 or over and he’s only 2, so I’m not listening to any of his nonsense about I shouldn’t have frenched the headlights and how a Winfield fade would look better than what I had in mind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh great. Now it's a cat thread. :rolleyes:

The thread was titled PET peeves 🤷‍♂️😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

The thread was titled PET peeves 🤷‍♂️😂

Yes, but "pet" in this usage is an adjective. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 6:03 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

IMG_2514[1].jpg

Sometimes, I feel the same way!

Building can be such hard work. 😃

But at least he looks comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, SfanGoch said:

I vacuum my cat twice a week to remove loose hair. Plus, he likes it. :)

 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:18 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

:lol:

My cat would entirely freak out and probably hide under the bed for a week!

 

 

 

Steve

Either way, problem solved!

David G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

If it's neat, it's because:

A. The other half couldn't stand looking it and decided to surprise you

B. The other half exacting revenge for some as of yet unknown transgression on your part

C. It was the result of mass looting by pets exacting revenge for some as of yet unknown transgression on your part

D. Ennui

E. You are about to start on that new kit you've been waiting for and need room to make a total wreck of the workspace once you dump the contents out

F. I'm sick of trying to build on a 1" x 5" area at the edge of my desk because I have parts and tools taking up the rest of the area 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

3653882D-1349-46F8-AF39-D1CEB660E402.thumb.jpeg.b10c4c197078e44ffec9b1668b099ec4.jpeg

I hate when Mr Chips questions my styling choices.  The box clearly says ages 6 or over and he’s only 2, so I’m not listening to any of his nonsense about I shouldn’t have frenched the headlights and how a Winfield fade would look better than what I had in mind 

How old is he in cat years?

Maybe he thinks you should be working on a Cheetah, or at least a Cougar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mark said:

How old is he in cat years?

Maybe he thinks you should be working on a Cheetah, or at least a Cougar.

According to the various cat age calculators I found online he’s between 13 and 25 in human years - I guess he’s old enough to start building!
 

How about a Jaguar? 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Monty said:

This: 

c7.jpg.6a07c1bcb86b767ac9699a0ba1d7ddc6.jpg

I get that there was no internet back in '82, but there were a number of Ford & Mustang magazines with color pictures.  I'm not sure who built this box art turd, but he negatively influenced countless lazy modelers with that "goldfish" headlight treatment.  

c5.jpg.e37a5446d1d041e04e6156ffec048cc0.jpg

Yes, the way the light hits that part of the grille can make it look lighter, but it's not silver, and definitely not chrome, yet even today, with every conceivable means of accurate research at our fingertips, we still get these builds with the goldfish look.  

I can't even guess at the number of builders I've PMed about this (as opposed to calling out the issue in their thread), including some who went above and beyond to achieve amazing detail on every other area, and every one of them told me they were happy with the result and couldn't be convinced that spending a short amount of time addressing a noticeable flaw would make a major improvement.    

 

14 year old me didn't notice or care. I loved building that kit and I thought it looked awesome! Painted Ford Engine Blue out of a Krylon Can! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gigantic Plug Wires, Heater Lines and Giant Return Springs! 

Cats are not an issue for me, but over sized stuff is! If you don't have the proper size, then don't even do it! 

Double whammy! Over sized plug wires in an Angry Spider stance!! Because gravity doesn't exist on some benches! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 5:21 AM, LL3 Model Worx said:

The mold lines are just plain and simple poor modeling.

Agreed!

When I acquire a builtup and it has a nice paint job but intact mold lines, I can't stand it, I have to strip it and start all over. Such a waste, but it needs to be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Agreed!

When I acquire a builtup and it has a nice paint job but intact mold lines, I can't stand it, I have to strip it and start all over. Such a waste, but it needs to be done.

I feel your pain, but I'm learning to bite my lip and bear it in some cases if it will be a simple and cool "rescue" otherwise. Or sometimes I can work the thing down and touch it up. I can always strip and completely repaint later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you do, I admire you for saving old builds. You've found a way to peacefully fill up your shelves with cars.

I wish my OCD would let me do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Agreed!

When I acquire a builtup and it has a nice paint job but intact mold lines, I can't stand it, I have to strip it and start all over. Such a waste, but it needs to be done.

Yup, I'm right there with you.

I have a few old builds from when I was a kid, that actually have pretty good paint on them (base/clear) from HVLP back then, so the paint is gorgeous, I however didnt know jack about modeling back then, so I never addressed the mold lines, or sink marks or any of the real basics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest peeve is...... 

After you've cut, trimmed, filed & sanded parts and sub-assemblies to fit, even if you're using parts that didn't come in the kit you're working on, at final assembly time, you find that it doesn't all fit together the way it should...!!!  When that happens to me, the parts all go back in the box to be resurrected and worked on at a later date when my aggravation level subsides.  Usually I'm able to resolve the fitment issues when I look at things with a new perspective and a higher level of patience.  It's as frustrating as hell especially after you've put so much time and effort into detailing everything.  I'm currently having those issues with 2 cars that I've worked on for months...😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought of another peeve of mine, but it probably doesn't bother other people, because I see it on real cars too.

Factory original engine compartments are not all glossy paint!

Look under the hood of original, unrestored factory built cars. Very little, to no glossy paint - most of it is flat, eggshell, satin or semi-gloss finish. In a scale model the gloss finish detracts, and makes the compartment too reflective - resulting in an out of scale look.

In 1:1 size, it just looks custom or like somebody sprayed Armor All on everything!

Oh, and OEM used minimal chrome (if at all) under the hood. And they NEVER installed chrome alternators, carburetors, fuel pumps, brake boosters or headers from the factory either!

But it probably only bothers me, because I see it a LOT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ramfins59 said:

My biggest peeve is...... 

After you've cut, trimmed, filed & sanded parts and sub-assemblies to fit, even if you're using parts that didn't come in the kit you're working on, at final assembly time, you find that it doesn't all fit together the way it should...!!!  When that happens to me, the parts all go back in the box to be resurrected and worked on at a later date when my aggravation level subsides.  Usually I'm able to resolve the fitment issues when I look at things with a new perspective and a higher level of patience.  It's as frustrating as hell especially after you've put so much time and effort into detailing everything.  I'm currently having those issues with 2 cars that I've worked on for months...😠

I minimize that problem by gluing many of the subassemblies together before painting them (engine, chassis, suspension, body parts, etc.

That way I can keep rebuilding and separating the major components as I build, so they don't change or move around. Plus I don't have to worry about those parts coming apart later from incompatibility with glue/paint.

I always dry build many times while I'm working and I try to find or make locking points for the major parts so they have a positive location to fit into. That way everything fits BEFORE I paint anything. Less chance of misaligned parts later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I know you do, I admire you for saving old builds. You've found a way to peacefully fill up your shelves with cars.

I wish my OCD would let me do that!

Been there, done that, got the T-shirts--in EVERY available color! :lol: I don't even know how many half-built model car (and airplane) projects I have back in their boxes because something wasn't going perfectly in the build. Sometimes this was my own fault, sometimes it was an accuracy issue that I didn't notice until I was way into the thing. The number is in the dozens--maybe the hundreds. 

I'm still that way on many of my own original new builds. But I've also learned to lower my standards in my old age, especially on glue bomb "rescues," where, as I've often said, the goal is to get somebody else's crock to look like something I might have built around 1968. If I can get it to look as good as stuff I built in 1969, I'm ecstatic! In the last couple years, I've dug a couple of my old projects off the Shelf of Doom and applied this standard to them for Bring Out Your Dead Completion projects, and I have to tell you, this is a lot of FUN!

Ah, the good old days, when modeling was FUN, not an obsession. The Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough, and if you're having FUN, you're doing it right. Model on, everyone! B)

Edited by Snake45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...