Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop

landman

5 hours ago, espo said:

This is a great kit and I enjoyed building a couple. Are you going to use the Continental Kit in your build ? 

I was planning to. Do you want it? I could live with just the fender skirts.

Edited by landman

4 hours ago, landman said:

I was planning to. Do you want it? I could live with just the fender skirts.

I'm not into the Continental Kit look myself, but I also realize that many due like them. I saw in your picture that you had it laid out so I just thought you may be going that way. You hadn't mentioned your builds direction, and mybe that may change as you get into it. We've all done that a time or two. 

9 hours ago, espo said:

I'm not into the Continental Kit look myself, but I also realize that many due like them. I saw in your picture that you had it laid out so I just thought you may be going that way. You hadn't mentioned your builds direction, and mybe that may change as you get into it. We've all done that a time or two. 

Ah, OK. I was planning to use it. In any case I'll paint it and will dry fit it. If it doesn't cut t, I'll just install the stock bumper. as for direction, I'm looking at this. I have a copper color that is close. the only drwaback to this is I won't be able to use the provided seat inserts.

43592_76c2d2ed524cx111ogrs12.jpg

24 minutes ago, landman said:

Ah, OK. I was planning to use it. In any case I'll paint it and will dry fit it. If it doesn't cut t, I'll just install the stock bumper. as for direction, I'm looking at this. I have a copper color that is close. the only drwaback to this is I won't be able to use the provided seat inserts.

I had a '59 Impala that I bought just for the gorgeous dashboard and those weird eye tail lights! The convertible model went thru 3 changes with a resin body until they released the Hardtop. Then the BMF killed me and there it sits 20 years later.

I'm going to enjoy watching you put one together!

Here's a couple dash photos for reference

image.png.6190b5dd3b46b7b8d6a4565d717d677a.png

image.png.6c64aff685f30d94bd366dd25f4bfdfe.png

image.png.54575ed474dd61948a2925ba36c76608.png

3 hours ago, landman said:

43592_76c2d2ed524cx111ogrs12.jpg

For the seat inserts and all of the Interior and Dash, check under the After Market/Resin section on this sight. At the top of the list is the After Market Suppliers. Go down to the Keith Marks Decals and click on that sight. He offers every color of seat insert  that Chevrolet had in '59. He also offers decals for the gauges. He has interior decals for just about any car and some trucks plus photos of stock vehicles to compare and also to see just how the colors should run thru the interior for a stock build. A suggestion on the Continental Kit. The OEM style that Chevrolet used was an add on in the center of the rear bumper, just kind of hangs off the bumper. In the kit the locating and attachment points leave a little to be desired as to their strength. I would suggest using  attachment pins for added strength. You may already be using this method for attaching other parts, but I thought just in case this might give you a better opportunity to position the rack for the Continental kit properly to the bumper and not have it fall off at a later date.  The Copper color is a great choice and great looking. Chevrolet offered both White and a very light Beige color as secondary colors and they looked good either way. Hope this information will be of some help to you. 

9 hours ago, landman said:

If that picture is accurate on my screen, I had a '59 convertible the same color. It was called Cameo Coral and was almost a pink and came with a grey interior. My first car.

Two colors that may be close: #1 Testors #1251 Copper Metallic and Plasti-kote Odds and Ends #143S Antique Gold. Both are Enamel based paints and I have had good results from both in the past. The Odds and Ends can be found just about anywhere they sell spray paints. Hardware stores, Wal Mart, Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowe's. The Testors Paint can be found at any Hobby Lobby or Model Shops.