Model Cars Magazine Forum
RDean58

AMT 1963 Buick Electra 225

29 minutes ago, High octane said:

I would never take a $50 car across country as I value my life worth more than $50.

My nephew bought a Bondo Special '63 Biscayne 4DR in 1995 for 75 bucks. No heater and blankets for seat covers. He was a drummer in a band and used the car to travel up and down the East Coast to play at gigs. He put at least 70,000 miles on it. Never had a mechanical issue in the two years he owned it; except, after he stopped playing, the I6 started groaning and grinding. The first thing I checked was the oil level and the stick was bone dry with burnt oil residue on the tip. I asked him when was the last time he checked and added oil. "Add oil? I thought the car came with it already."

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

My nephew bought a Bondo Special '63 Biscayne 4DR in 1995 for 75 bucks. No heater and blankets for seat covers. He was a drummer in a band and used the car to travel up and down the East Coast to play at gigs. He put at least 70,000 miles on it. Never had a mechanical issue in the two years he owned it; except, after he stopped playing, the I6 started groaning and grinding. The first thing I checked was the oil level and the stick was bone dry with burnt oil residue on the tip. I asked him when was the last time he checked and added oil. "Add oil? I thought the car came with it already."

LOL!!!

First convertible I can remember ever riding in was my father's '63 LeSabre. white with red interior. I remember he had painted black around the fender vente, similar to the paice of trim on a Wildcat. 

That was before I started school so I must have been about 4 at the time. 

Our '63 LeSabre was the first car Dad, my brother and I ever used bondo on.  It looked good for a first attempt, but we should have gotten touch-up paint mixed from an automotive paint supply so it would have matched better than the similar Duplicolor shades.  Neither of them ever used it again, but I used it on some hand-me-down cars. 

Nice Electra!

It's always cool to see these old kits in pristine condition.

I have a built '63 Electra that I plan on restoring at some point, as well as an accompanying '63 Riviera which will be restored soon.

I think the only kit that I have in my stash at the moment in comparable condition to your Buick is an AMT 1962 Pontiac Bonneville hard top.

Steve

The AMT 63 Buick was the first model kit I ever got. I painted it red.

Dan M.